Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My first fly-away :(

Update update update !

A week or two ago I've got a message from DJI, asking me to give them all the information about my crash. And I had to send them the logfiles also for examination.
Yesterday I've got news from them. The incident wasn't caused by me, and they will repair the possible damage under warranty

To be continued....

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Ok good news glad to hear you are getting your Inspire replaced.

Did they shed any light on what was the fault/combination of circumstances?

WHAT caused it so we can share knowledge and make sure it does not happen again!!

Its bad news when things go wrong!

It is right off the richter scale on bad news days when things go wrong and you do not know WHY/WHAT caused it!!

Wow I really like the Inspire 1 , but it seems to be like a roll of the dice wether you're going to get a reliable unit or not , that's a lot of money to gamble with.

New update !

Last friday I've received a new mail from DJI-support, asking me to send them the serial numbers of Drone, Camera and Remote Controller, and a copy of the receipt.
I didn't had the time to answer it this weekend, so I did it today.
I was very surprised that I received an answer in less then 15 minutes. And the good news was also that I didn't had to send my Inspire to DJI Germany, but to DJI Holland.
A friend of me runs a small transportationcompany, and I've managed to send the unit directly to DJI today, where it was received in the afternoon.
So now the clock is running, I'm very curious how long it will take to get my Inspire back (and in what state)

grtz

Patrick

New update !

Last friday I've received a new mail from DJI-support, asking me to send them the serial numbers of Drone, Camera and Remote Controller, and a copy of the receipt.
I didn't had the time to answer it this weekend, so I did it today.
I was very surprised that I received an answer in less then 15 minutes. And the good news was also that I didn't had to send my Inspire to DJI Germany, but to DJI Holland.
A friend of me runs a small transportationcompany, and I've managed to send the unit directly to DJI today, where it was received in the afternoon.
So now the clock is running, I'm very curious how long it will take to get my Inspire back (and in what state)

grtz

Patrick
You should find DJI Europe BV IN Rotterdam very responsive. I got mine back in 2 weeks with most of that time on route from/to UK.

Update !

Today I've received an email from DJI Europe BV that my Inspire 1 is on it's way back to me.
Next monday it should be back, that makes that it has been away for exactly 3 weeks.
Not that bad I think, but let's wait until monday to see if my bird is back in perfect condition.

grtz

Patrick

...Question for you: After you landed with 50% and took off again, was the Inspire on leveled ground when you landed and took off again? Because if you landed on uneven ground, maybe the IMU data was "reset" due to Inspire being on uneven ground, and when you took off again, it took off with bad data.

Is this a normal thing with inspire? Should I takeoff/land on a level ground ? I never had a problem with my curent hexacopter (DJI Naza) when landing on unleveled ground.

Shouldn't the IMU only reset when we make the calibration ?

Is this a normal thing with inspire? Should I takeoff/land on a level ground ? I never had a problem with my curent hexacopter (DJI Naza) when landing on unleveled ground.

In my experience that is not normal. Most of the time I takeoff from level ground but occasionally on a slight slope. I have never had this problem. Post firmware updates is the only time I do IMU cal. I hard landing of bump may knock it off, I dont really know for sure.
Edit: check the sensor values every pre flight

I would err on the side of caution. I always try to take off on a level surface if possible. In the cases when i do take off from an un-leveled surface, i find the gimbal is not level after take off and it takes a couple of minutes before the gimbal adjusts itself.

Another thing i tend to do is this: When i power up the Inspire, in addition to trying to put it on level ground, i make sure it is untouched and not moved during the initial startup process. You do no want to Inspire to be moving around during its startup initialization sequence.

Another update, wich means that the story hasn't come to an end...
Today UPS deliverid my repaired inspire, so I was happy, until I opened the case.
My remote control is missing, so I wrote a mail to DJI Europe asking them to fix this asap.
So I have to wait before I can test my bird

To be continued...

Only IMU calibration needs to be level. No need to take off on level ground. It's much more important to avoid compass interference. Rebar reinforced concrete is a common cause of flyaways.

i've calibrated everything when i received the Inspire, and I always do a compass calibration if I haven't used it for a while or travelled to another place.
Here we go again.You don't have to calibrate your compass every time.If you search on the forums you can find more then enough about this.I've been all over Europe and never did one.If your app tells you everything is normal it's safe to fly.

Last edited:
Here we go again.You don't have to calibrate your compass every time.If you search on the forums you can find more then enough about this.I've been all over Europe and never did one.If your app tells you everything is normal it's safe to fly.
Not so. Compass errors can be outside the recommended range and it still will say safe to fly, happen to me. If sensor values are off it can cause flight paths to not be what you expect.

Ultimately it could lead to it going somewhere you don't want it to go.

I'm not saying you need to do a compass cal every flight but you do need to check under 'Sensors' before every flight that all is within the recommended ranges.

I'm not saying you need to do a compass cal every flight but you do need to check under 'Sensors' before every flight that all is within the recommended ranges
You're right IrishSights.Forgot to say that.I Always check sensors with every battery.But never had any problem.I went through Europe a few months ago and from distances over 800 miles and no problem.

Final update ! Yesterday I've received an anwser on my email for my missing remote control. Exactly at the same moment my phone started ringing, and I received a call from a friendly DJI-employee in Holland. Wich was nice, because I could my own language (dutch) instead of english.
They had found my remote control and it would be shipped to me right away with UPS.
And yes, today the controller has been re-united with my Inspire.
No I just have to wait for better weather, so I can test-fly my bird again.

I can confirm that taking off from a sloped surface is perfectly fine, i do so all the time. I can also confirm that you do not want to move the inspire after you power it up and the camera is spinning doing its self test. It will cause erratic flight if you move it during that process. Put it down wherever you plan to take off from and then turn it on for best results. If you have any sort of compass error or erratic flight in gps mode due to compass interference switching to ATTI mode will save you from crashing. I recommend everyone practice using atti and become proficient flying with it, theres a good possibility having that ability might save you a few grand someday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool