Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CA New Drone Regulations In Canada for 2019

Reaction score
So Transport Canada finally unveiled their new drone regulations that go into effect June 1st, 2019. I'm reading through the Advanced Operations section and I notice that in order to fly as an advanced operator you need to use an approved airframe. No DJI drones qualify. So does this mean that as of June 1st I can't use my Inspire 2 for Advanced operations, which all commercial operations fall under? For anyone interested in this here is the linked Transport Canada page which details the new regs.

Choosing the right drone - Transport Canada

* Controlled Airspace - Operations in which the drone will fly within the airspace controlled by air traffic control (Class A-F).
* Near People - Operations in which the drone will fly within 30 meters (100 feet) and 5 meters (16.4 feet) of any person not associated with the operation.
* Over People - Operations in which the drone will fly within 5 meters (16.4 feet) or directly over any person not associated with the operation.

I hope I'm misinterpreting the press release, but I believe you're correct. No DJI drone qualifies to fly "Near People" or "Over People" due to a lack of redundancy, but DJI drones should be allowed to fly within controlled airspace. I plan on contacting my TC rep in the near future for clarification.

Reading through the above link with four pages of "Drones Approved for Advanced Operations" odd that no DJI drones are mentioned, not even their better flying Mavic's.

Given the battery issues with the Inspire 2, even for 'redundant safety' (ahem!) with a second battery, poor hover stability, parts that break just sitting (i.e. Battery compartment latch.), loose props, landing servos sticking, camera sensor tilt, lines and odd colors in video, motor detachments, numerous firmware and remote hardware issues, drifiing gimbals, their products are very sketchy. No doubt Canada followed some of the earlier recommendations of the EU and taking them off their list.

DJI really needs to fix their products so they work better. As it is, they seem content to drag their feet on a fix for months or years until the warranty runs out and another shakedown for more money to fix it ensues, which they never seem to fix without creating another mess. Even their new Osmos are having issues with their gimbals and no fix in sight. Pretty pathetic, and it seems they just do not care and content to "Sell the junk at a high price, and we'll drag the possible fixes out beyond the warranty for even more $$$s." :(

DJi is becoming the Edsel drone of the air.

The real question I'm trying to answer is are you able to use an Inspire 2 for commercial work in Canada? It seems from the new regs that you won't be able to use an Inspire 2 for commercial work in Canada because it's not listed as one of the drones approved by Transport Canada. I primarily fly on film and commercial shoots with an Inspire 2. This might mean that I would need to switch to a more expensive platform judging from the approved list of drones. While the Inspire 2 was definitely not a perfect drone platform, it is very competitively priced and the camera systems that we have used worked well for our needs. Not every client need or can afford a drone system that flies with a Red Weapon attached.

No you may NOT use DJI products which are not on the approved equipment list. Only the InDro modified M210 qualifies.
The regulations come into effect June 1st. Anyone intending to fly must A) register all aircraft with TC and b) hold a RPAS Pilot License.

If the pilot is intending to operate in Class C, D, E or F airspace then the flight system must be on the list of approved aircraft. Currently I2, P4, Mavic, etc do not qualify. In order to be on the approved list in Canada, DJI must submit their declaration of compliance to TC. This has not been done.

Not only is the June 1 deadline an issue for commercial operators, the uncertainty is worse. Planning work beyond June 1 is not possible and our customers are concerned and confused. Since I expect 99% of DJI owners in Canada will not be replacing their Mavic/P4/I2 with an InDro 210 anytime soon the outlook for DJI and most other manufacturers is pretty bleak. This includes the hundreds of first responders and government users who will be unable to operate under these rules. Unless this is addressed very quickly then the industry in Canada is dead - but for certain, this is the end of DJI in Canada.

No you may NOT use DJI products which are not on the approved equipment list. Only the InDro modified M210 qualifies.
The regulations come into effect June 1st. Anyone intending to fly must A) register all aircraft with TC and b) hold a RPAS Pilot License.

If the pilot is intending to operate in Class C, D, E or F airspace then the flight system must be on the list of approved aircraft. Currently I2, P4, Mavic, etc do not qualify. In order to be on the approved list in Canada, DJI must submit their declaration of compliance to TC. This has not been done.

Not only is the June 1 deadline an issue for commercial operators, the uncertainty is worse. Planning work beyond June 1 is not possible and our customers are concerned and confused. Since I expect 99% of DJI owners in Canada will not be replacing their Mavic/P4/I2 with an InDro 210 anytime soon the outlook for DJI and most other manufacturers is pretty bleak. This includes the hundreds of first responders and government users who will be unable to operate under these rules. Unless this is addressed very quickly then the industry in Canada is dead - but for certain, this is the end of DJI in Canada.
No it will not be the end for DJI in Canada. Far from it. Especially with the technology coming through from the Chinese company.
In any case, DJI are currently in close discussions with TCCA. Watch this space...

Thanks for the response Arbutus. I agree with you this uncertainty is making it impossible to plan for the spring and summer of 2019. After doing more research it seems that DJI is not an option for commercial operators in Class C, D, E or F airspace at this time. What still isn't clear to me is can you get an advanced standing certificate and use a DJI drone for commercial operations in class G airspace? It looks like my company is going to have to invest more money in drones if we want able to operate this summer under the new Transport Canada guidelines. Anyway, if anyone else comes across some relevant information it would be helpful to have it shared. I'm sure we're all just trying to figure out how these new regulations impact the drone industry in Canada.

I spoke directly to a guy who was part of the team that wrote these rules. He specially said the I2 will make the list as soon as DJI does the paper work for this with TC.

Reading through the above link with four pages of "Drones Approved for Advanced Operations" odd that no DJI drones are mentioned, not even their better flying Mavic's.

Given the battery issues with the Inspire 2, even for 'redundant safety' (ahem!) with a second battery, poor hover stability, parts that break just sitting (i.e. Battery compartment latch.), loose props, landing servos sticking, camera sensor tilt, lines and odd colors in video, motor detachments, numerous firmware and remote hardware issues, drifiing gimbals, their products are very sketchy. No doubt Canada followed some of the earlier recommendations of the EU and taking them off their list.

DJI really needs to fix their products so they work better. As it is, they seem content to drag their feet on a fix for months or years until the warranty runs out and another shakedown for more money to fix it ensues, which they never seem to fix without creating another mess. Even their new Osmos are having issues with their gimbals and no fix in sight. Pretty pathetic, and it seems they just do not care and content to "Sell the junk at a high price, and we'll drag the possible fixes out beyond the warranty for even more $$$s." :(

DJi is becoming the Edsel drone of the air.

Oh what do I like my old Inspire 1!
Never had any problem and it still flies wonderful.:):):)

We have had the Inspire 2 for two years now. It has had operations in multiple locations up BC coast and Inland. With proper maintenance the UAV has been rock solid!
Flying in class C is pretty much all we do, so hopefully this drone gets put on the list.
Most of the larger drones are difficult to lug in to tight locations. We own a Red Helium and I don’t see the necessity for its use in the air in most instances compared to that of the likes of Inspire 2 c/w X7 with quiver of lenses.
Just my two cents!
Also, somebody ought to make a mention to Transport Canada that the new exam for advanced is ridiculous, most of the questions are just not pertinent to practical drone flight.
Happy flying!

I've spent months now (years actually) since they started trying to regulate drones . . trying to understand what the new Canadian Air Regulations PART IX is and how it applies to where and how I want to fly. There's a lot of legal stuff and repetitive words . . so Cutting through all of that took some time. I've just published a quick reference guide in easy to understand PLAIN ENGLISH. You can download it here. Let me know if it helps.

Last edited:
What's the latest on this situation. I'm looking to be flying in Canada this fall and winter, and I have no problem jumping through hoops to do so, but I want to know that it is even possible as a US citizen.

As per the new rules . . US Citizens or other foreign UAV pilots will need to file an SFOC. and not sure . . but they likely have to register their aircraft as per normal Canadian rules (except Inspire 1 of course) and they would then only be able to operate in accordance with the SFOC. . . that usually results in a 15-20 pg document of what you can do and not do and for the place an time requested . .

903.01 Operations need SFOC (903.03) for ANY of the following ( Needs 30 WORKING days notice to apply for SFOC) ~6 Weeks >25kg, BVLOS, Foreign Operator, >400ftAGL, >5 UAV from 1 controller, Any special aviation or advertised event Hazardous payloads (901.43(1)), or less than 3nm from Military installations (901.47(3))
Anything else the ministry wants to cover

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool