Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New rules in Canada ...

Reaction score
As expected, governments are continuously refining the rules of piloting the drones. Today Transport Canada announced new set of regulations, which will come into effect by June 1, 2019.

Minister Garneau unveils Canada’s new drone safety regulations - Canada.ca

Basically all pilots of drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg (DJI Spark including) must get a pilot certificate. Pilots are divided into 2 groups with different certificates (basic and advanced), where advanced certificate will require ground school training, exam and in-person flight review. All drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg bust be registered and clearly marked.

I already completed ground school training so that I can submit SFOCs. Have you heard of anything concerning "grandfather" licensing for those who have completed the training prior to the new rules and have been flying for a while already?

I already completed ground school training so that I can submit SFOCs. Have you heard of anything concerning "grandfather" licensing for those who have completed the training prior to the new rules and have been flying for a while already?
Not yet, but I didn't pay much attention to it, waiting for the dust to settle down. However, the company providing ground school courses and exams here in Western Canada (and listed by Transport Canada as one of few officially recognized providers) immediately mailed all participants with a letter, explaining several aspects related to new rules. For now it seems that the results of exams passed at the end of ground school DOES NOT mean a thing and we still must pass Transport Canada's own exams, either for Basic or Advanced Category permit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good evening Aerobotika Alumni,

As many of you may know, new rules and regulations were posted today on Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS), commonly known as 'drones'. Here is a link to the information Transport Canada published today - Minister Garneau unveils Canada’s new drone safety regulations - Canada.ca

We are excited about these changes and feel it will open up new opportunities to the industry. These rules and regulations will go into effect on June 1st 2019. We want to help you through this process over the next few months the best we can. Please contact us if you have any questions!

Below are some common FAQs we got from today -

Q: Do I still need a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC)?

A: Yes and No, The new regulations will not take effect until June 1st, 2019 and the SFOC will no longer be needed in most cases. The SFOC will still be needed when flying for advertised events, over 400m or if your drone is 25kg+ Until then, you will still need an SFOC for commercial operations in Canada.

Q: When can I register for a Flight Review?

A: We are currently registering our instructors as Flight Reviewers through Transport Canada’s (TC) new Drone Management Portal and we are waiting on Transport Canada. In the meantime, you can register your own drone on the Drone Management Portal (DMP). To be placed on our WAITING LIST for upcoming Flight Reviews, CLICK HERE and you will have priority registration.

Q: I already paid for ground school, do I have to take it again?

A: No, there will be no more required training for permits. Topics covered in our past ground school should be sufficient to challenge the Transport Canada’s Advanced Category exam. Our Alumni Guarantee means you can join any future upcoming ground schools for re-training. Our future ground schools will become a prep course for both basic and advanced permit exams.

Q: How long does it take to get my permit?

A: Your permit will be available immediately after you pass the exam for either the Basic or Advanced Permit. To obtain a full Advanced Permit you will still need to pass a practical flight review. There may be a waiting period to obtain the full advanced permit from Transport Canada TBD.

To stay updated on Aerobotika's platforms:

The Aerobotika Team
800-579-1828

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth