Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

NFZ on the DJI Go app is different than the DJI Go4 app. Why aren’t they the same?

Reaction score
I have a question for Inspire 1 owners. I just bought one on eBay and it arrived today (YAY!!) The Inspire 1 uses the DJI Go app to control it. (I also owned Phantom 4, Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom....these use DJI Go 4) My question is, Why are the NFZ maps different between the two apps? I can fly the Mavic 2 Zoom from my house with the GO 4 and its newer “bow tie” design NFZ for Airports. The DJI Go app still has the old design of a huge circle that is over reaching. I live 10 miles from a military base, the old design NFZ maps did their circle 5 miles from their property and not the airport. So this military base has a 10 mile circle!!! Is there anyway the get updated maps for the DJI Go app that is just like the DJI Go4 app? By the way, I did delete the app on my phone and upload a brand new version, so it is the latest version. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Top screen capture is DJI Go app with my home in a massive NFZ! The bottom screen is DJI Go4 with a responsible NFZ!
8e1952f9bd79532a3f11d2486ee5c092.jpg

a5ba6097570a0babe4a236aeb475837e.jpg

I have a question for Inspire 1 owners. I just bought one on eBay and it arrived today (YAY!!) The Inspire 1 uses the DJI Go app to control it. (I also owned Phantom 4, Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom....these use DJI Go 4) My question is, Why are the NFZ maps different between the two apps? I can fly the Mavic 2 Zoom from my house with the GO 4 and its newer “bow tie” design NFZ for Airports. The DJI Go app still has the old design of a huge circle that is over reaching. I live 10 miles from a military base, the old design NFZ maps did their circle 5 miles from their property and not the airport. So this military base has a 10 mile circle!!! Is there anyway the get updated maps for the DJI Go app that is just like the DJI Go4 app? By the way, I did delete the app on my phone and upload a brand new version, so it is the latest version. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Top screen capture is DJI Go app with my home in a massive NFZ! The bottom screen is DJI Go4 with a responsible NFZ!
8e1952f9bd79532a3f11d2486ee5c092.jpg

a5ba6097570a0babe4a236aeb475837e.jpg
What version of FW are you running on the Inspire 1?

There was also an issue rendering polygons within the Go App.

What version of FW are you running on the Inspire 1?

There was also an issue rendering polygons within the Go App.

This doesn't have anything to do with Firmware. Check the screen captures. Both apps are Disconnected. So they are unaffected by firmware.

D

This doesn't have anything to do with Firmware. Check the screen captures. Both apps are Disconnected. So they are unaffected by firmware.

D
Part of the NFZ database is contained within the firmware modules. (Check the release notes).
The NFZ data can actually be split in anything up to 4 separate parts - Prisons, Government Sites, Military Installations etc.
When commercial operation is requested in some locations such as those above a bespoke version of the Go App can be provided which is time critical/coded. This then updates the NFZ data contained within the aircraft.

A simple way to confirm that NFZ data is embedded within the firmware is to simply fly without even starting the Go App or even plugging in a tablet.
The NFZ's will still be active within the aircraft preventing take off or flying into certain areas.

In this instance, although the aircraft is disconnected, the software (App) is unable to render 'complex' polygons accurately and therefore the NFZ's will be a crude circle. This has been an ongoing issue with the Go App (Not Go4) and I have no idea why but DJI have never really solved it properly.
The Go4 app was a completely rewritten app for later aircraft and can render the shapes accurately.

Part of the NFZ database is contained within the firmware modules. (Check the release notes).

Copy that. My statement was a bit broad. More specifically, the software FLAGS the NFZ's independent of firmware, but it's the firmware that acts upon the NFZ database based on those flags. In other words, as you eluded to, it's a "handshake" between software and firmware.

The best way to test this is with third-party automation software like Litchi or Map Pilot or Autopilot, etc. Legacy versions of those softwares couldn't care less about NFZ's. But it's the bird's embedded NFZ database that prevents these third-party programs from working within an NFZ.

Another test is to hack the firmware into ignoring the NFZ's presented by the software. That works, too.

A simple way to confirm that NFZ data is embedded within the firmware is to simply fly without even starting the Go App or even plugging in a tablet.

Exactly. But that works both ways. My business partner owns an M-600 that will NOT fly beyond 50' out UNLESS you fly beyond that point sans software. Once we're out past the geofenced area, THEN we can start the Go app and we're good until we change batteries.

Finding out exactly what part of the data chain is "controlling the drone" is like herding cats.

And DJI is no road map, THAT's for sure.

D

A few weeks ago, I had to fly very close to a US NAVY base. I got my FAA Authorization, and negotiated a time with the base flight operations officer (he was very helpful, by the way). The NAVY issued a NOTAM on my behalf for my operation. When time came (I asked for a very limited time), I called the tower to notify them I was starting, then I fired up my Phantom 4 pro. Wham, a no-fly-zone, that was shown on their website, but at least 1/2 mile away. It refused to take off. Luckily, I had an old Inspire 1, which flew with no problems but the client wanted the wide angle of the Phantom, rather than the more restricted view of the Inspire (in other words, I wasted my time and effort). That's a lot of coordination for DJI's oversight to screw up. The Phantom screwed with me the previous day in another location and another job, but that's another story. Still, I like that they haven't modified the INSPIRE 1 to match the Phantom.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
A few weeks ago, I had to fly very close to a US NAVY base. I got my FAA Authorization, and negotiated a time with the base flight operations officer (he was very helpful, by the way). The NAVY issued a NOTAM on my behalf for my operation. When time came (I asked for a very limited time), I called the tower to notify them I was starting, then I fired up my Phantom 4 pro. Wham, a no-fly-zone, that was shown on their website, but at least 1/2 mile away. It refused to take off. Luckily, I had an old Inspire 1, which flew with no problems but the client wanted the wide angle of the Phantom, rather than the more restricted view of the Inspire (in other words, I wasted my time and effort). That's a lot of coordination for DJI's oversight to screw up. The Phantom screwed with me the previous day in another location and another job, but that's another story. Still, I like that they haven't modified the INSPIRE 1 to match the Phantom.

I have modified (read: Hacked) my Phantom 4 Pro so I can fly anywhere, including NFZ's. Now...like you, I get PERMISSION before I fly. But unlike you, I don't go through a day of paperwork and coordination just to be shut down by the DJI Nazis. The caveat is that I haven't been able to use Intelligent Flight Modes within a mile of an airport. But if that kind of gig comes up again, I will definitely be hacking through that shortcoming.

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter