Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Nice new field monitor and recorder

Brand new on the market are a couple 7" field monitor/recorders. Haven't seen them in action yet, but for daytime viewing, these little guys should be great and they record HDMI in up to 4K resolution. Use it on your bird, then take it off and you have a professional monitor to slap on your conventional camera.

Atomos Ninja Flame 7" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor ATOMNJAFL1
Great product but this is advertising and I don't think this forum allows this.

I have the Assassin. I use it as a flight recorder and to playback shots quickly on set. And I use it to record 10 bit ProRes 4K out of my GH4 and other cameras. I've considered putting it onboard one of my large X8 drones.

The Flame is a refresh of the chassis and nice upgrade on the screen, 1,500 nit vs. 400. That's got to be a big difference in bright light. Here it is in use with a Alta, Gremsy, RED, Connex set up:

Not exactly a sunny SoCal day there though.

Great product but this is advertising and I don't think this forum allows this.

Advertising? How so?

First off you guys are great. You have solved too many problems for me with my drones.
Goal
I am looking to run a cable off of my controller to a monitor 12"-24" that my clients could view while I am flying inspections with them. (720p is fine).

A Plan
I have an extra pelican case I could mount the monitor into the lid and modify the shell to allow for side access for an HDMI cable and or power cable/charger to pass through (literally or via port mounted in the shell of the case. The lower part of the case when opened could house a USB battery of some kind to power the monitor.

B Plan
Battery operated monitor 18"-24" (need suggestions) NO PELICAN CASE. I would run a mini HDMI cable out on the controller > HDMI input on the monitor.

Any help would be appreciated.

First off you guys are great. You have solved too many problems for me with my drones.
Goal
I am looking to run a cable off of my controller to a monitor 12"-24" that my clients could view while I am flying inspections with them. (720p is fine).

A Plan
I have an extra pelican case I could mount the monitor into the lid and modify the shell to allow for side access for an HDMI cable and or power cable/charger to pass through (literally or via port mounted in the shell of the case. The lower part of the case when opened could house a USB battery of some kind to power the monitor.

B Plan
Battery operated monitor 18"-24" (need suggestions) NO PELICAN CASE. I would run a mini HDMI cable out on the controller > HDMI input on the monitor.

What sort of budget are you looking at?
I can suggest several but they cost more than half a dozen Inspires each! :p
Give me an idea of how much you want to spend......
Also, are you sure you need to go that big? It makes it more awkward to view comfortably in bright ambient conditions.
Smaller screens with higher brightness values will fare better in the field.

For starters - how about the Lilliput 'flight case's style? (Also available as a 23" version)

Lilliput Europe · BM280-4K · 28 inch 4K field monitor with HDMI 2.0

Reactions: Bossman
Goal

A Plan

B Plan

For Plan A you could go downmarket and avoid HD-SDI altogether, stick with HDMI. But your problem is going to be powering a standard HDMI monitor with 110V AC (a lot of field equipment uses DC, which is easier to contend with for various reasons). You could use a battery inverter like this:

http://bit.ly/2dTZdh7

It will take 3 hours to charge, and what I read from the specs it will give you 75W, (0.7A, 110V) of power (probably enough for a 24" monitor, but not a super-bright one) for about 45 minutes total.

If you find something appropriate for Plan B which is daylight-viewable, I'd sure love to hear about it!

Cheers

For Plan A you could go downmarket and avoid HD-SDI altogether, stick with HDMI. But your problem is going to be powering a standard HDMI monitor with 110V AC (a lot of field equipment uses DC, which is easier to contend with for various reasons). You could use a battery inverter like this:

http://bit.ly/2dTZdh7

It will take 3 hours to charge, and what I read from the specs it will give you 75W, (0.7A, 110V) of power (probably enough for a 24" monitor, but not a super-bright one) for about 45 minutes total.

If you find something appropriate for Plan B which is daylight-viewable, I'd sure love to hear about it!

Cheers
Thanks for the suggestions. Funny thing is I was doing some work with Goal Zero. I'll send pics

Take a look at Ikan. We use a 7" monitor powered by Canon L6 batteries. With a good hood on the monitor it's more than large enough for clients to see what you're getting and small enough carry. We have a pistol grip on ours with a neck strap so if they don't want to watch all the time or at battery change, etc they can let it go. It also has HDSDI in addition to HDMI. I'm relatively sure an HDMI only unit will be less expensive, though this was about $1k, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

What sort of budget are you looking at?
I can suggest several but they cost more than half a dozen Inspires each! :p
Give me an idea of how much you want to spend......
Also, are you sure you need to go that big? It makes it more awkward to view comfortably in bright ambient conditions.
Smaller screens with higher brightness values will fare better in the field.

For starters - how about the Lilliput 'flight case's style? (Also available as a 23" version)

Lilliput Europe · BM280-4K · 28 inch 4K field monitor with HDMI 2.0
That is super cool, but way out of my budget. I mean I have an Apple 30" cinema monitor I could build a road case to hold a batter and inverter. Nonetheless great link you shared.

Take a look at Ikan. We use a 7" monitor powered by Canon L6 batteries. With a good hood on the monitor it's more than large enough for clients to see what you're getting and small enough carry. We have a pistol grip on ours with a neck strap so if they don't want to watch all the time or at battery change, etc they can let it go. It also has HDSDI in addition to HDMI. I'm relatively sure an HDMI only unit will be less expensive, though this was about $1k, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things.
Yey!!! thats it :) I live right around the corner from Unique Photo and have several old Canon L6 batteries. For under $300 I don't have to have my client breathing over my shoulder. Thanks so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44