Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 12mm and 45mm filters

Reaction score
Recently ordered 12mm and 45mm Olympus lens and balancing rings. Any suggestions for filters and there balance considerations.

For the Olympus 12mm you would need a filter that is a 46mm thread size and close to 10 grams in weight. The PolarPro DJI Inspire Series X5S Filters are one solution that are also compatible with the DJI 15mm, Panasonic 15mm, Olympus 17mm and Olympus 25mm as they are all a 46mm thread size. These filters are specifically designed for use on the Zenmuse camera and gimbal and are all under 10 grams.

For the Olympus 45mm you would need a filter that is a 37mm thread size and close to 6 grams in weight. You can find any 37mm thread that is a lightweight filter for the range you are trying to achieve. This Polaroid 6 in 1 Filter is a popular I know. I personally have not had experience with this filter.

Depending on the weight of the filter you can typically go with just a filter and no balancing ring but in some occasions you will need both to ensure a well balanced camera/gimbal/lens setup to reduce strain on the gimbal motors.

If Balance Rings are needed you can find them all below:
DJI Zenmuse X5S Balancing Ring for Panasonic 15mm - Part 2
DJI Zenmuse X5S Balancing Ring for Panasonic 14-42mm - Part 3
DJI Zenmuse X5S Balancing Ring for Olympus 45mm - Part 4
DJI Zenmuse X5S Balancing Ring for Olympus 9-18mm - Part 5
DJI Zenmuse X5S Balancing Ring for Olympus 12mm, F/2.0&17mm, F/1.8&25mm, F/1.8 ASPH Prime Lens - Part 6

Safe and happy flying! :cool:

I bought the BreakThrough brand of ND filters in the 46mm size once they got around to making that size, mainly for their neutral color balance and sharpness. For the 45mm lens I bought a cheap 37mm-to-47mm aluminum step-up ring for the 46mm filters.

The 45mm lens with the BT filter causes it to be a bit front heavy as the filter is a thin brass, but I put a small Velcro sticky-back dot from a fabric and art store on the back of the X5S and a nickel with the other Velcro dot stuck to it and it balances well. It seemed to work okay with or without the nickle though, but I use it anyways.

Fwiw, I have other ND filters mentioned on a Phantom and they shift color from the ND strength of the filter. Can be annoying to color balance them all, but I made a ColorChecker profile for them all which helps in Lightroom for stills or Resolve 14 for video which has the ColorChecker in it as a calibration tool.

Recently ordered 12mm and 45mm Olympus lens and balancing rings. Any suggestions for filters and there balance considerations.

On the X5s gimbal, I have read a bunchof great material and used it to refine my operations. Some postings looked at rings, I am looking at balance and filters, and how the X5s behaved...

My "partner" on this journey has been a 1000gm (0.1 increment) Jewler's scale...

DJI (Leica) OEM 15mm 1.7 (115gm)... I typically use a B+W XS-Pro 46mm UV as a protector. I leave the 10gm DJI Brass BR10 46mm Balancing ring off. The Filter is 13.4gm. I use the hood and DJI sleeve (1.5gm) . The gimbal performs amoothly and without chatter or alerts.

Lumix 14-42 PZ Power zoom (extends during use), 93gm. DJI recommends BR17 and BR6 which weigh 16 and 5.7 gm respectively. I use a B+W XS-Pro UV 37mm brass, which weighs 10.4gm. I tried it with the 6gm weight for 17.3gm, and it wasn't happy (smooth and alert). I swapped the 6gm for the 17gm plus the filter (26.6gm), the gimbal was happy and worked perfectly. No hood needed with this lens. Of note is the fact that I mount the filter after the BR17, adding to COB shift, saw no vignetting. Handwheel2 for ZOOM makes it perform beautifully, great for golf courses. From min focus to 30 feet Handwheel for focus is a BIG improvement ofer my digits sliding and tapping.

Olympus 12mm 2.0, high quality lens (130gm), Interesting balance due to the short but heavy aluminium body. I used a B+W 46 XS-Pro UV (13.4gm as above). no 10gm BR10, got an alert, but smooth. I swapped it for a COKIN Harmonie 46mm UV (3.9gm), no hood (too heavy- weighs 14.3gm), and although 5.4 gm lighter, works great, smooth, no alerts. Added an old filter body as a hood, Tiffen 46 aluminium (no glass), perfect, cut flare... Short focus throw on this means calibrated Handwheel helps a lot.

Olympus 45mm 1.8, comes with Face ring (2gm), Hood (OEM) 10gm. Balancing ring is set BR8 and BR6, total 14gm. I use a B+W XS-Pro UV (10.4gm), was ok, but not smooth. BR6 was too heavy, with filter. Took an obsolete Tiffen 37mm FLD, removed the glass, 3.8 gm. Used it after the filter, like a hood, perfect. Smooth, cut flare... Going to try a cokin 37mm Harmonie (s/b ~3gm).

Hope this helps
14_2x.gif

I recommend Formatt Hitech's Firecrest filters - they're light so they create less balancing issues, and they're high quality (much less color shifting/etc. than even most of the well known brands). At least look up reviews and examples before buying something else.

You can also get 50% off at their website (linked above) with the code CIRCFC50 (which I got from their Promotions page).

I got their 46mm filters which fit most of the X5S's supported lenses and I just use a 37mm-46mm step-up ring to put them on the Olympus 45mm lens. It balances pretty well with the step-up ring and those filters.

Reactions: Quadpilot
I recommend Formatt Hitech's Firecrest filters - they're light so they create less balancing issues, and they're high quality (much less color shifting/etc. than even most of the well known brands). At least look up reviews and examples before buying something else.

You can also get 50% off at their website (linked above) with the code CIRCFC50 (which I got from their Promotions page).

I got their 46mm filters which fit most of the X5S's supported lenses and I just use a 37mm-46mm step-up ring to put them on the Olympus 45mm lens. It balances pretty well with the step-up ring and those filters.

I have the same filters and step-up ring and love them. Expensive, but great bargain with the discount.

Reactions: Advexure
Finally had a chance to try the 45mm on my I2 today. Amazing lens! However I did have a couple of challenges. I attached the 45mm to my gimbal (X5S). I have DJI balancing ring. I also have a Sensei Step Up Ring (37-46mm) that I bought (through an online recommendation) so I could use one with my Firecrest ND Filters. First thing I noticed was on the DJI balancing ring there was another smaller ring already attached. I'm sure this is some type of adapter? Anyhow, the smaller ring from the DJI Balancing Ring doesn't seem to fit the Sensei Step Up Ring. I took the smaller ring off the DJI Balancing Ring and tried to attach the Sensei Step Up Ring and it seems to catch a little bit of the thread but it won't tighten (FYI - everything is brand new). I don't want to use this setup for obvious reasons. For those successfully using the 45mm... Can I successfully attach the DJI Balancing Ring, some type of Step Up Ring and then a Firecrest ND filter AND will it balance correctly? If it will can anyone suggest a Step Up Ring that actually works? I'm assuming I'll need to remove the smaller ring from the DJI Balancing Ring?

Finally had a chance to try the 45mm on my I2 today. Amazing lens! However I did have a couple of challenges. I attached the 45mm to my gimbal (X5S). I have DJI balancing ring. I also have a Sensei Step Up Ring (37-46mm) that I bought (through an online recommendation) so I could use one with my Firecrest ND Filters. First thing I noticed was on the DJI balancing ring there was another smaller ring already attached. I'm sure this is some type of adapter? Anyhow, the smaller ring from the DJI Balancing Ring doesn't seem to fit the Sensei Step Up Ring. I took the smaller ring off the DJI Balancing Ring and tried to attach the Sensei Step Up Ring and it seems to catch a little bit of the thread but it won't tighten (FYI - everything is brand new). I don't want to use this setup for obvious reasons. For those successfully using the 45mm... Can I successfully attach the DJI Balancing Ring, some type of Step Up Ring and then a Firecrest ND filter AND will it balance correctly? If it will can anyone suggest a Step Up Ring that actually works? I'm assuming I'll need to remove the smaller ring from the DJI Balancing Ring?

I don't think you need the DJI double balancing rings if you use a step-up 37-46mm ring and a ND filter. Only need to use them if you are sans a filter.

On my 45mm I needed to add a nickle via a Velcro dot to the back of the X5S camera with my ND filter and step-up ring so it balances out. No DJI rings needed here for that.

I don't think you need the DJI double balancing rings if you use a step-up 37-46mm ring and a ND filter. Only need to use them if you are sans a filter.

On my 45mm I needed to add a nickle via a Velcro dot to the back of the X5S camera with my ND filter and step-up ring so it balances out. No DJI rings needed here for that.
What ND filter(s) are you using?

I'm using all Firecrest NDs on My X5S as well. So you're not using the DJI balancing Ring and you are using a Step Up Ring w/ Firecrest Filters and it balances well? Which Step Up Filter are you using? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brainfraktured