Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 12mm Focus Issue

Reaction score
Hello all. I have the Olympus 12 mm lens and have used it for a couple of shoots with really good results. On the last couple of shoots the image has been garbage with it being pixelated.

There is a clutch ring that you move back and it lets you focus manually. Before now I had never used that but maybe when taking the lens out of the case I moved that ring to the manual position. I set it to infinity and moved the ring back as to let the software control the lens. Now my images are really soft and when you zoom in they’re really pixelated.

I tried resetting the focus on the camera to infinity again and making sure to move the ring back into the original position to let the app do the work but still cannot for the life of me get a clean image when before they were tack sharp. I’ve calibrated several times and just can’t seem to get this thing to work right.

would anyone else have any ideas as to what could be going on and what I may be doing wrong? I had a shoot today in Norfolk Virginia and had to use my 45 mm which was kind of a pain because I was shooting a ship passing through a bridge and had to fly pretty far to capture the whole thing in frame.

Hello all. I have the Olympus 12 mm lens and have used it for a couple of shoots with really good results. On the last couple of shoots the image has been garbage with it being pixelated.

There is a clutch ring that you move back and it lets you focus manually. Before now I had never used that but maybe when taking the lens out of the case I moved that ring to the manual position. I set it to infinity and moved the ring back as to let the software control the lens. Now my images are really soft and when you zoom in they’re really pixelated.

I tried resetting the focus on the camera to infinity again and making sure to move the ring back into the original position to let the app do the work but still cannot for the life of me get a clean image when before they were tack sharp. I’ve calibrated several times and just can’t seem to get this thing to work right.

would anyone else have any ideas as to what could be going on and what I may be doing wrong? I had a shoot today in Norfolk Virginia and had to use my 45 mm which was kind of a pain because I was shooting a ship passing through a bridge and had to fly pretty far to capture the whole thing in frame.
I have the Olympus pancake zoom and have had nothing with focus issues with it too. Very disappointing for Olympus. I've tried lens calibration and I'm hoping maybe I'm not doing the calibration correctly so I'm anxious to hear about your replies.

I have the Olympus pancake zoom and have had nothing with focus issues with it too. Very disappointing for Olympus. I've tried lens calibration and I'm hoping maybe I'm not doing the calibration correctly so I'm anxious to hear about your replies.

hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Once you snap that focus ring off of manual any setting that you made while you were in manual is not active anymore and the app should take over. I read somewhere that someone had to use an object closer than normal when calibrating so maybe I’ll try that and see if it works. Seems being that it’s a wide angle lens maybe calibrating something closer may do the trick.

hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Once you snap that focus ring off of manual any setting that you made while you were in manual is not active anymore and the app should take over. I read somewhere that someone had to use an object closer than normal when calibrating so maybe I’ll try that and see if it works. Seems being that it’s a wide angle lens maybe calibrating something closer may do the trick.
There are two options, so here is what you need to do.
Either use the manual focus ring on your 12mm and focus to infinity but not by lining the infinity mark against the focus mark but by using the magnified view - focus assist in GO4 to find the best focus on a distant subject. You obviously do this with the drone on the ground. Once you do that you must leave the ring in that exact position!! Do not push the ring into autofocus position as that will cancel your manually set focus setting!
Option two is to perform lens calibration. This can be quite tricky. From my own experience calibrating the Oly12mm is really finicky and hard to get it right. I had to repeat the process many times before I found the best infinty sharpness inthe centre as well as close to edges. You need to persevere here and you need to take a photo at f2 after the calibration and check the sharpness at 100% magnification in Photoshop or any decent photo viewer. You might need to repeat this process over and over again until you are satisfied that you have achieved the best sharpness possible. Then you have successfully completed the calibration and you are good to go flying. Tedious process but it only needs to be done once and you will be rewarded with excellent and most importantly consistently sharp photos each and every time by simply tapping the infinity mark in GO4 in MF, the one below the virtual focusing scale. The focusing ring on the lens must be in autofocus mode (clutch disengaged) and you will need to leave it there all the time. You can expect something like this..

Attachments

• DJI_0927.jpg
    DJI_0927.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
There are two options, so here is what you need to do.
Either use the manual focus ring on your 12mm and focus to infinity but not by lining the infinity mark against the focus mark but by using the magnified view - focus assist in GO4 to find the best focus on a distant subject. You obviously do this with the drone on the ground. Once you do that you must leave the ring in that exact position!! Do not push the ring into autofocus position as that will cancel your manually set focus setting!
Option two is to perform lens calibration. This can be quite tricky. From my own experience calibrating the Oly12mm is really finicky and hard to get it right. I had to repeat the process many times before I found the best infinty sharpness inthe centre as well as close to edges. You need to persevere here and you need to take a photo at f2 after the calibration and check the sharpness at 100% magnification in Photoshop or any decent photo viewer. You might need to repeat this process over and over again until you are satisfied that you have achieved the best sharpness possible. Then you have successfully completed the calibration and you are good to go flying. Tedious process but it only needs to be done once and you will be rewarded with excellent and most importantly consistently sharp photos each and every time by simply tapping the infinity mark in GO4 in MF, the one below the virtual focusing scale. The focusing ring on the lens must be in autofocus mode (clutch disengaged) and you will need to leave it there all the time. You can expect something like this..
Hi ! Very helpful. Few questions:
1. Please share how to recalibrate lens on Inspire2 ?
2. Once is calibrated, if i set focus manually to infinity ( on the ring ) will that be actually in focus ? Or I will have to do manual checking pictures ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips