Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 45mm on X5 and balancing

Reaction score
I've decided to buy a 45mm Olympus lens for my X5 on the Inspire Pro.
Now I have the set of 6 Polar Pro filters for the 15mm lens I already have.

Can I use these with a so called step up balancing ring 37mm to 45mm??
Was going to buy the lens tonight but shall wait until I know what options I have to balance it and for filters. Tried searching web but always seem to find X5S and not X5.
Can some offer any advice.
I'm in the UK so if anyone know where to get the rings or filters etc that would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Dave

I use the 45mm on the X5R with the polar pro filters. Got the step up ring off of Amazon quite cheap.
On the X5R the light Aluminium step up and polar pro isn't enough to balance the lens. I ended up adding weight to the front until it balanced and making a note of how much weight was needed minus the filter. I then made a silicone mold of the step up ring, mixed up some resin on scales and added enough iron powder to it to make it up to the required weight.

Resulting step up ring is exactly the correct weight and looks as though it's made from iron.

I'm sure there are easier ways to sort this though...

I'm in the UK but bought the lens secondhand and the step up ring came with it, however they seem to be readily available.

Balancing comes down to trial and error but I find the following works:

- 5p coin (3gms on rear centre of gimbal with a little blu tack)
- Lens
- 37-46 adapter ring (3 gms)
- ND filter (Neewer, 6gms)
- Dji Balancing ring (10gms)
or
- replace balancing ring with a 46mm vented metal sun hood (10 gms, Amazon) and use a 20p coin (5 gms) on the rear of the gimbal.

I've tried to find a way of balancing without the need for a coin but can't quite get there.
Anyway it all seems to work well but just make sure the coin doesn't catch when the gimbal tilts.

Good luck

Cheers chaps.
Got the lens and adaptor ring on order so shall see what it all balances like.

What are your thoughts on the 45mm lens?
Dave

Cheers chaps.
Got the lens and adaptor ring on order so shall see what it all balances like.

What are your thoughts on the 45mm lens?
Dave

I absolutely adore it. It's meant to be only for photos, but balanced correctly it's good for video too. You definitely need a camera operator for any complex shots though.

It does bobble around a bit but nothing you can't solve with minimal stabilisation in post.

I was flying it in Iceland in unbelievable winds with the Inspire basically leaning at 45° battling the wind and still got usable footage.

Good to hear.
Mine should arrive next week. Looking forward to it.
I'm using the stock 15mm lens on the X5 and it's not leaps and bounds over the Mavic pro camera im my opinion from what I've done and seen so far.

Expecting it to be a handful on my own. But shall start with easy stills first then see how I go. I have the duel controller setup so can do it without spending out any extra money. Now to train up my dearest wife

My i2 with X5S. If I am using the standard 15mm lens without any filter is it bal? then if I add a polar pro ND32 is it going to be out of bal??

My i2 with X5S. If I am using the standard 15mm lens without any filter is it bal? then if I add a polar pro ND32 is it going to be out of bal??

If the X5S is anything like the X5 or X5R then the camera should be balanced ok on the pitch axis for the 15mm with the balance ring and lens hood on.
If you add an ND Filter, it'll be out of balance, unless you remove the hood... which is what I used to do.

On the X5R, I've found the 15mm lens wide enough to be fine, even if not completely balanced. The tiny bumps and bibbles due to not being balanced are not magnified by focal length, so it's ok and not noticeable. I've never had gimbal motor overload messages by operating with a slightly unbalanced pitch either.

However, I'm a serial worrier. So I made up a set of small weights (different depending on lens/filters used) that I Velcro to the pitch roll and pan axis of the gimbal to balance everything 100%. No extra stress on motors and the absolute best stabilisation the unit is capable of.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen