Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Parking lot after hours?

Reaction score
So question for anyone who has done this. Has anyone ever flown their drone in a large mall parking lot after hours or before they open? Did anyone encounter any issues with mall security that they were on private property and perhaps were asked to never fly there again? Just looking for a leisure place to fly in SA. I know it's not picturesque per say, but sometimes I just like to fly for the thrill in different areas. I did use an open parking lot late in the evening and had no issues so just asking for some guidance on this from those with more experience. Thanks!! ;)

So question for anyone who has done this. Has anyone ever flown their drone in a large mall parking lot after hours or before they open? Did anyone encounter any issues with mall security that they were on private property and perhaps were asked to never fly there again? Just looking for a leisure place to fly in SA. I know it's not picturesque per say, but sometimes I just like to fly for the thrill in different areas. I did use an open parking lot late in the evening and had no issues so just asking for some guidance on this from those with more experience. Thanks!! ;)

Seeing as how that is privately owned asking the management group for permission to use their property during off-peak times would make sense....especially given the changes in recreational flight rules.

Reactions: licensed pilot
SACAA rules would seem to indicate 50m stand offs are required from private property so the property owners permission would be required in order to fly from the parking lot.

Reactions: RMartin
Flying on private property is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. Always launch from public property and fly over open spaces, like a field. That's the best way to not get screwed with.

D

I am assuming the OP is flying in South Africa which would mean the FAA rules/regulations have nothing to do with where he is able to fly.

The only way to be sure would be to follow SACAA rules and use a sectional air chart.
Either way, the parking lot would be private property and SA laws require a 50m stand off or permission from the property owner.

Reactions: RMartin
It's private property, best to get permission.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop