Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Part 107 Asinine Airspace Authorization Rules

The root issue here is the lack of understanding of different airspace types and how they work. The confusion around 107.41 comes from lack of understanding about the layering of airspace (upside-down wedding cakes). Part 107 allows sUAS to operate in Class G airspace without the need for ATC approval. This is a large area, even around a big city. Class G airspace sits below Class E airspace, with Class G airspace typically defined as ground up to either 700' AGL OR 1,200' AGL. Either way, this is well above the typical sUAS operational ceiling of 400' AGL. Here is a great info piece on airspace types: Airspace

I highly recommend purchasing a VFR sectional chart to study, especially the printed key. The shaded magenta area around an airport means that the ceiling of the Class G airspace (sUAS operational airspace) reduces from 1,200' AGL down to 700' AGL (still a 300' buffer for sUAS operations below the Class E airspace).

I am using the Cincinnati sectional chart for the following examples.

Look at KOXD: with Part 107 you can fly inside the shaded magenta circle, all the way up to the field (but not over) without getting ATC approval, because you are still in Class G airspace (under a 700' AGL Class E Airspace). (Would still need to follow 107.43 operation near/around airports and air traffic.)

Look at KCVG: the only space that requires ATC approval is the innermost solid blue ring right over the airport, because Class B airspace there is surface to 10,000'. If you go straight north from KCVG, the next space due north of the field is only Class B airspace from 2,100' to 10,000', which means under that is Class G airspace from surface to 700' AGL.

Look at KLUK: The only controlled Class D airspace that would require ATC approval to fly would be inside the blue dashed circle (controlled surface to 3,000').

Look at KILN: Here is an example of the Class E airspace referenced in 107.41 that would require ATC approval. The controlled airspace around this airport is the dashed magenta box (Class E from surface up to 18,000' MSL) and the blue dashed circle (Class D airspace from surface to 3,600').

Look at KDAY: Controlled Class C airspace requiring ATC approval is the innermost solid magenta ring (Class C surface to 5,000'), with the ring outside that only being Class C airspace from 2,400' to 5,000', and Class E from 700' AGL and up (leaving sUAS flyable Class G airspace under that; surface to 700' AGL).

RECAP: The only airspace requiring ATC approval for 107.41 sUAS operations would be innermost solid blue ring at KCVG (Class B), innermost solid magenta ring around KDAY (Class C), dashed blue line around KLUK (Class D), and both the dashed magenta box (Class E) and dashed blue ring (Class D) around KILN.

Hope this helps with some of the confusion. I am a pilot and have also confirmed this with an FAA rep at the local FSDO.

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 19
The root issue here is the lack of understanding of different airspace types and how they work. The confusion around 107.41 comes from lack of understanding about the layering of airspace (upside-down wedding cakes). Part 107 allows sUAS to operate in Class G airspace without the need for ATC approval. This is a large area, even around a big city. Class G airspace sits below Class E airspace, with Class G airspace typically defined as ground up to either 700' AGL OR 1,200' AGL. Either way, this is well above the typical sUAS operational ceiling of 400' AGL.

Actually, no. That is not the root issue. I am a Private Pilot, too, and the issue is the airspace where you *can't* fly. This encompasses millions of homes and businesses and point of interest where commercial operations would be lucrative. The point of this thread is that making a lengthy and onerous authorization process is a business killer for many would be entrepreneurs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Actually, no. That is not the root issue. I am a Private Pilot, too, and the issue is the airspace where you *can't* fly. This encompasses millions of homes and businesses and point of interest where commercial operations would be lucrative. The point of this thread is that making a lengthy and onerous authorization process is a business killer for many would be entrepreneurs.

I guess I'm missing the issue then. I live in a neighborhood 1.6 NM from an active county airport and there are no airspace restrictions right up to the field. I used to have to file for a COA for airspace that is now not controlled. I think it's gotten much better from the 333 exemption days. I think it will only get easier as Part 107 continues to roll out.

Reactions: Mike Daniels
I guess I'm missing the issue then. I live in a neighborhood 1.6 NM from an active county airport and there are no airspace restrictions right up to the field. I used to have to file for a COA for airspace that is now not controlled. I think it's gotten much better from the 333 exemption days. I think it will only get easier as Part 107 continues to roll out.
You must live in the sticks! :)

I'm my area of Southwest Florida with 1 million residents, about 20-25% by my estimation are blanketed in controlled airspace down to the surface. Also, a huge chunk of the commercial potential clients fall into these areas. In many areas the airport is well outside the population centers. In many, that is not the case.

You must live in the sticks! :)

I'm my area of Southwest Florida with 1 million residents, about 20-25% by my estimation are blanketed in controlled airspace down to the surface. Also, a huge chunk of the commercial potential clients fall into these areas. In many areas the airport is well outside the population centers. In many, that is not the case.

I live in Greater Cincinnati. We have a Class B and a Class D airport. I do a lot of work right downtown. Must just be lucky how all the airspace falls in this area.

I live in Greater Cincinnati. We have a Class B and a Class D airport. I do a lot of work right downtown. Must just be lucky how all the airspace falls in this area.
Yeah, LUK (D) is out in the middle of sticksville and CVG (B) isn't even in the same state as Cincinnati! :) The major population area where you are is well north of controlled airspace. That's very unlike Florida where both the population and major airports are concentrated along the coast.

You can pretty much forget about flying in SE Florida under Part 107. It's pretty much all Class airspace on the right and Everglades National Park on the left.

That is, until they get the airspace authorization process down to an "instant" approval situation. But even then I suspect there will be huge chunks of territory off limits. Miami Beach comes to mind.

CincyUAS,

I am located in the Cincinnati area as well and while CVG and Lunken are both located outside of the downtown area there are dozens of helipads at hospitals, police stations and news stations that show up on the FAA B4UFly app. Have you been contacting these helipads before you fly? If those are indeed considered airports by the FAA wouldn't we need to contact them because we plan to fly within 5 miles?

CincyUAS,

I am located in the Cincinnati area as well and while CVG and Lunken are both located outside of the downtown area there are dozens of helipads at hospitals, police stations and news stations that show up on the FAA B4UFly app. Have you been contacting these helipads before you fly? If those are indeed considered airports by the FAA wouldn't we need to contact them because we plan to fly within 5 miles?

Hmm, Helicopters? ... a bird of a different feather that isn't necessarily bound by fixed-wing aircraft AGL minimums regardless of airspace class (fortunately most adhere to 500 AGL).
14 CFR 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Lowest safe altitude - Wikipedia

So even if we are flying our UAV in Class G airspace, it behooves us to listen up for the telltale "whoop-whoop-whoop" and be prepared to yield to the whirlybirds.

CincyUAS,

I depends on if you are operating under Part 107 or not. Under Part 107 they have removed the "within 5 miles of an airport" clause and it is all based on airspace. If it is class G airspace you need not notify them, but must yield right of way.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44