Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Part 107 Knowledge Test Availability

Reaction score
Okay, we got the new rules and we all understand there will be a test. The question on all of our minds is when can we register and take this test. The answer right now today is "not yet", but I am creating this thread to make the latest information available to you once we get it.

I just got the following information from CATS (Computer Assisted Testing Service):

Thank you for your interest in testing with CATS.

In order to incorporate expected guidance from the FAA, pre-registration for the UAS aeronautical knowledge test has been moved forward and now is scheduled to begin on Thursday July 7th.

We will continue to keep you updated.

For additional information and updates on the Unmanned Aircraft Systems, please also visit Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

The NEW small UAS Rule (part 107) was announced June 21, 2016. This final rule requires 60 days to be published in the Federal Register to become effective. CATS expects to begin testing by the end of August.

CATS is not the only testing center that will have these test, but they certainly are a large one.

As I get more info I will post it to this thread and encourage others to do the same, but try to keep your comments limited to new information related to the subject line.

If you want to be in the loop, just subscribe to this thread. (Click Watch Thread)

Last edited:
Okay, we got the new rules and we all understand there will be a test. The question on all of our minds is when can we register and take this test. The answer right now today is "not yet", but I am creating this thread to make the latest information available to you once we get it.

I just got the following information from CATS (Computer Assisted Testing Service):

Thank you for your interest in testing with CATS.

In order to incorporate expected guidance from the FAA, pre-registration for the UAS aeronautical knowledge test has been moved forward and now is scheduled to begin on Thursday July 7th.

We will continue to keep you updated.

For additional information and updates on the Unmanned Aircraft Systems, please also visit Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

The NEW small UAS Rule (part 107) was announced June 21, 2016. This final rule requires 60 days to be published in the Federal Register to become effective. CATS expects to begin testing by the end of August.

CATS is not the only testing center that will have these test, but they certainly are a large one.

As I get more info I will post it to this thread and encourage others to do the same, but try to keep your comments limited to new information related to the subject line.

If you want to be in the loop, just subscribe to this thread. (Click Watch Thread)

If you want to preregister just call CATS at 1-800-947-4228 to get advanced notification.I

Reactions: AngelAndres
Also for those that have a pilot certificate and do not have, or want, a current flight review. They too can just take the knowledge test and get a remote pilot certificate. This way there is no need to go to a CFI, DPE or FSDO. The testing center certifies your identity and you then apply on line and the temporary is emailed to you with the permanent to follow.

Many certified and non-certified pilots may find this the easiest, and perhaps the least expensive route. Total cost about $150, which is the testing fee only.

If you want to get on the list from CATS you do not need to call you can just send a email:

To receive more information, please e-mail a request to [email protected] including your name and contact number, with "UAS" in the subject line.

You will get an immediate automated reply from CATS.

Also for those that have a pilot certificate and do not have, or want, a current flight review. They too can just take the knowledge test and get a remote pilot certificate. This way there is no need to go to a CFI, DPE or FSDO. The testing center certifies your identity and you then apply on line and the temporary is emailed to you with the permanent to follow.

Many certified and non-certified pilots may find this the easiest, and perhaps the least expensive route. Total cost about $150, which is the testing fee only.

If you want to get on the list from CATS you do not need to call you can just send a email:

To receive more information, please e-mail a request to [email protected] including your name and contact number, with "UAS" in the subject line.

You will get an immediate automated reply from CATS.
Thanks, Dave. I'm taking the Gold Seal course, an excellent review for the FAA test.

Last edited:
Thanks I will start reviewing
A lot of the questions will be on Part 107. You can take the ALC-451 course at faasafety.gov to study this.

In the PHAK pay particular attention to airspace as Part 107 refers to different type of airspace which you will need to be familiar with.

Once the question pool is out there will be more study material available to you, but I suspect it will not be a very difficult test.

Oh! I just saw this thread.

If you already have a pilot certificate (Part61) you can just sign in to your FAAST account and take the sUAS course as well as the 35 question test.

I just completed it myself shortly after the Part107 announcement came out. They gave me a temporary certificate to keep with my current Private Pilot certificate until IACRA publishes the application for the new "Remote Pilot" rating this August. At that point, IACRA Help Desk tells me that I can apply and add it to my Part61 Certificate.

Hope that helps!

-Angel

What can we be studying now to prepare for the knowledge test and where can it be found online? Thanks
Hi!

Actually, if you're already an FAA Certificated Pilot, the FAAST website has the course and the exam for you right now. You'll get a temporary certificate that you can use when IACRA publishes the new application for the Remote Pilot rating.

Hope that helps!

-Angel

Last edited:
A lot of the questions will be on Part 107. You can take the ALC-451 course at faasafety.gov to study this.

In the PHAK pay particular attention to airspace as Part 107 refers to different type of airspace which you will need to be familiar with.

Once the question pool is out there will be more study material available to you, but I suspect it will not be a very difficult test.
Don't sweat it too much, RK, if the feds follow past SOP, a study guide will/may be issued in advance of the test. If you feel like spending a few bucks, I strongly recommend this course:
www.uavgroundschool.com

Asa a licensed pilot I'm taking it now and it's a hell of a good refresher from my first ground school (1969) Flying those Pterodactyls was a *****...

Last edited:
The FAA has put out a sample exam of what you can expect August 29. Keep in mind that these are sample questions and the actual questions may vary from these questions. It will be a 60 question exam, multiple choice with 70% being a passing grade. You will have two hours to take the exam.

Here is the link off of the FAA web site: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

We are getting quite a few inquires and appointments at our CATS testing center in Sarasota. We have agreed to be a walk in testing center meaning an appointment will not be required, but I would still recommend you make an appointment as seats will be limited to first come first served.

Last edited:
There is a really good website called Part107Pilot.com – Resource center for part 107 certified remote pilots. It has excellent information for taking the test. It also sells a study guide for only $10.

I purchased it and it seems to be a very good study guide. Seems to be a good investment for $10! Not sure I can bite off $99 for some of the other courses though. Not sure if you'll get 10 times as much info. It really helped me understand the NAS "upside down cake."

Hi!

Actually, if you're already an FAA Certificated Pilot, the FAAST website has the course and the exam for you right now.

I took this test to get an idea what the sUAS test would be like and ended up learning a hell of a lot. It got me googling for answers and I ended up with about fifteen excellent resources, most of which were free FAA publications.

One of the most useful was this excellent forum, so thanks to everyone who contributes and so willing to help us noobs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk