Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Please Critique My Real Estate Shoot.

Reaction score

Here is a video I did of a residential property here in Oklahoma City using an Inspire 2 X5S with a 12mm Oly lens and an Osmo. Due to a time constraint I had an hour to film this property and had no time to prepare. One thing I would have done would have added more lightning to the interior. I didn't have my LED for my Osmo so the original has a lot of noise that I had to tend to using Clean Image.

So what could I have done differently? Please critique me as I want to get better at this! Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: SanCap
More lighting would be the biggest thing. I use 2 500 LED light stands. Working on a property just south of you for a client. Real Estate is hard to break into, but this is for the seller. The agency won't pay for sh*t.

Reactions: AerialPerceptions
I appreciate you being brave enough to ask for a critique!

Maybe it is my computer but some of the video is studdering and not very smooth, what frame rate did you shoot it at? Did you try to slow it down in post?

I am not sure you need all the shots moving thru the hallways and down the stairs. Panning the Osmo on a tripod would be smoother. Cut out the frames that show the realtors sign and stop sign in the front yard, remove the ADT sign. Is that a beer can in a cozy at 23 seconds on the outside window ledge?

You might get better images by setting or adjusting the white balance better in camera or post. Remove dog beds, dog toys and the dog from the back yard, not all people like pets. Put the toilet seat down..Only kidding! :) Remove the squeegee from the shower. Maybe get the clients logo to add to the video.

I have been working with a pro interior photographer and have been learning all these little tricks. Horizontal and vertical sliders really help, a couple of well placed lights do also. But those come with time, experience and money made.

Thanks for posting, these posts not only help you but many others in the forum including me.

I appreciate you being brave enough to ask for a critique!

Maybe it is my computer but some of the video is studdering and not very smooth, what frame rate did you shoot it at? Did you try to slow it down in post?

I am not sure you need all the shots moving thru the hallways and down the stairs. Panning the Osmo on a tripod would be smoother. Cut out the frames that show the realtors sign and stop sign in the front yard, remove the ADT sign. Is that a beer can in a cozy at 23 seconds on the outside window ledge?

You might get better images by setting or adjusting the white balance better in camera or post. Remove dog beds, dog toys and the dog from the back yard, not all people like pets. Put the toilet seat down..Only kidding! :) Remove the squeegee from the shower. Maybe get the clients logo to add to the video.

I have been working with a pro interior photographer and have been learning all these little tricks. Horizontal and vertical sliders really help, a couple of well placed lights do also. But those come with time, experience and money made.

Thanks for posting, these posts not only help you but many others in the forum including me.

Haha! Absolutely love this critique! I'll start off with the item on that window ledge. It was actually a candle but next time I notice any questionable items I'll try and remember to remove them.

Didn't think about the sign or showing it was on a corner. Definitely will be more aware for my next property (This was my first one ever).

Definitely like your recommendation on not moving throughout the house. And steady pans.

So I shot the aerial video at 4k@30fps with 60 shutter speed. Interiors with the Osmo were shot at 4k@30fps with a 25 shutter speed I believe. This was due to low light. Purchased a new LED light for the next one. And yes, I slowed down a couple shots. The one on the front porch. I'd that where you noticed the studdering?

Haha! Absolutely love this critique! I'll start off with the item on that window ledge. It was actually a candle but next time I notice any questionable items I'll try and remember to remove them.

Didn't think about the sign or showing it was on a corner. Definitely will be more aware for my next property (This was my first one ever).

Definitely like your recommendation on not moving throughout the house. And steady pans.

So I shot the aerial video at 4k@30fps with 60 shutter speed. Interiors with the Osmo were shot at 4k@30fps with a 25 shutter speed I believe. This was due to low light. Purchased a new LED light for the next one. And yes, I slowed down a couple shots. The one on the front porch. I'd that where you noticed the studdering?

The aerials were fine, just work on your technique and smoothness of moves. Maybe adjust the expo a bit to calm the I2 down.

I noticed more studdering on the interior shots and your explanation of 4K@30fps and 1/25 shutter speed explained it. Not knowing where your ISO was set, I didn't notice a lot of grain so maybe you could have brought the ISO up a bit to be able to increase your shutter speed?

You did a lot better than I did when I started.

The aerials were fine, just work on your technique and smoothness of moves. Maybe adjust the expo a bit to calm the I2 down.

I noticed more studdering on the interior shots and your explanation of 4K@30fps and 1/25 shutter speed explained it. Not knowing where your ISO was set, I didn't notice a lot of grain so maybe you could have brought the ISO up a bit to be able to increase your shutter speed?

You did a lot better than I did when I started.

My iso was set at 400. The original has a lot of noise but I used Clean Image to clean it up. Amazing software but took forever to render.

This is my personal opinion, but 4K is a bit over rated at this time. 1080 @ 24 or 30 fps is great quality. Most devices cannot process that much information without lag and shuttering of some sort at 4K... We are just not there yet. Even my MacBook Pro with 16G ram has a hard time displaying it. It's a great selling tool for DJI to record in 5K+, but in reality, your device must be capable of rendering, and displaying it as well. Take it down a notch, and see how it does for you.

This is my personal opinion, but 4K is a bit over rated at this time. 1080 @ 24 or 30 fps is great quality. Most devices cannot process that much information without lag and shuttering of some sort at 4K... We are just not there yet. Even my MacBook Pro with 16G ram has a hard time displaying it. It's a great selling tool for DJI to record in 5K+, but in reality, your device must be capable of rendering, and displaying it as well. Take it down a notch, and see how it does for you.

I have an iMac retina 5k with 32 gigs of RAM. Shouldn't this rig handle 4k video?

I have an iMac retina 5k with 32 gigs of RAM. Shouldn't this rig handle 4k video?
Absolutely!...and Sancap may be right in regards to shutter speed. I guess what Im saying is that for me, 1080 is just a lot easier to handle as a "deliverable". Not to mention rendering in post. Everyone has their preferences.

Absolutely!...and Sancap may be right in regards to shutter speed. I guess what Im saying is that for me, 1080 is just a lot easier to handle as a "deliverable". Not to mention rendering in post. Everyone has their preferences.

Thank you for the advice! Do you do a lot of work in your area? Do you do photography/videography full time?

I'm just getting into real estate. I've been doing a lot of vertical imagery in Western Oklahoma. Also doing a little work for some energy companies.

Thank you for the advice! Do you do a lot of work in your area? Do you do photography/videography full time?

I'm just getting into real estate. I've been doing a lot of vertical imagery in Western Oklahoma. Also doing a little work for some energy companies.

I have a full time job, but have this company on that keeps me busy on my days off. Been doing it for about 2 and a half years now. This has by far been my busiest year, getting jobs in all kinds of areas like engineering projects, law firm documentation, real estate, Car Dealerships,Facebook promos, and have been working with PBS for a documentary due out early next year for American Masters called "Words from a Bear"... I would like to eventually get out of my full time job, but we shall see how things go along.

I have a full time job, but have this company on that keeps me busy on my days off. Been doing it for about 2 and a half years now. This has by far been my busiest year, getting jobs in all kinds of areas like engineering projects, law firm documentation, real estate, Car Dealerships,Facebook promos, and have been working with PBS for a documentary due out early next year for American Masters called "Words from a Bear"... I would like to eventually get out of my full time job, but we shall see how things go along.

Good for you man! I have been flying drones for about 6 years but didn't start getting into photography until about a year ago. Got my 107 a few months ago and just now trying to get my feet wet.

Reactions: Dr. Fibinotchi
Good for you man! I have been flying drones for about 6 years but didn't start getting into photography until about a year ago. Got my 107 a few months ago and just now trying to get my feet wet.
It's a lot of work, but it's fun in the end. I don't advertise anymore, as word of mouth has kept me busy.. I did a TON of free work during the first year just to get some material out there. Keep it up man!... there's plenty of work out there if you can show your product!

It's a lot of work, but it's fun in the end. I don't advertise anymore, as word of mouth has kept me busy.. I did a TON of free work during the first year just to get some material out there. Keep it up man!... there's plenty of work out there if you can show your product!

Offering free work has been my plan and I feel like it's slowly paying off. I recently got a job from one of the wind turbine companies out west and while filming I had some individuals from Linn Energy ask for my info. Hoping it leads to more.

Offering free work has been my plan and I feel like it's slowly paying off. I recently got a job from one of the wind turbine companies out west and while filming I had some individuals from Linn Energy ask for my info. Hoping it leads to more.
That's how it works!.. Get as much material out there as possible, and it will just happen!

I agree with you regarding issues with displaying 4K, although there are good reasons in using it all the time. You will always have a higher resolution saved to a hard drive to go back to in the future when the systems catch up. Shooting in 4K allows you to zoom in and crop without any lose in image quality if your main output is going to be 1080. Yes it it easier to shoot in 1080 but not always the best choice. My MacBook pro handles 4K fairly well, I do not do a lot of video but when I do it performs well with regards to my computer budget. Here are my specs.

I really enjoy 4K at 60 FPS.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 11.06.21 PM.png

Reactions: Highrpm955

I offered a free 360° panoramic to the city I live in and now I am into my 2nd year of PAID weekly panoramics.

Reactions: Highrpm955
Highrpm and sancap are giving you great advise. One thing is that real estate photography is always different and changing with every different house you shoot. I shot real-estate for 40 years and am now retired. You did a very nice job with exceptions of lighting and color temperature that have already been discussed. Keep in mind that if it makes sense of where to stop and start that wet concrete always looks better than dry. It covers up a myriad of sins like dirt and stains. Not really appropriate for this shoot though. House exteriors always look better at the beginning of or the end of the day. I like your moving in at the beginning and pull back at the end. Try not to get caught short next time because lighting is everything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop