Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Preserving landing gear worm gear....

Reaction score
Hey doods!

Am I the only one that kind of helps the landing gear retract and return to transport position? I've been doing this since day 1 and my landing gear still works perfectly. Essentially, I never let the feet drag. So I simply lift one side while the landing gear moves and I either pull the legs away from the body or push the legs toward the body to help further remove worm gear stress. I've never used the landing gear auto setting. I turned it off day 1 and never turned it back on. I always manually control the landing gear. And if I'm shooting downward, I leave the landing gear down so's not to put extra, unnecessary wear on the worm gear. So far, from what I can tell, my landing gear works as smoothly today as the day I purchased the bird.

Anyone else doing this?

D

Sounds like you have a good preventative maintenance plan with keeping excessive movements and torque from the center frame. If you have not already used this you might want to consider lightly lubing the worm gear with this product.

IMG_1120.JPG

Hey doods!

Am I the only one that kind of helps the landing gear retract and return to transport position? I've been doing this since day 1 and my landing gear still works perfectly. Essentially, I never let the feet drag. So I simply lift one side while the landing gear moves and I either pull the legs away from the body or push the legs toward the body to help further remove worm gear stress. I've never used the landing gear auto setting. I turned it off day 1 and never turned it back on. I always manually control the landing gear. And if I'm shooting downward, I leave the landing gear down so's not to put extra, unnecessary wear on the worm gear. So far, from what I can tell, my landing gear works as smoothly today as the day I purchased the bird.

Anyone else doing this?

D
Yes I lift my i2 a swell when going to flight mode and travel mode and I have no problems with my landing gear
Cheers Vossken

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hey doods!

Anyone else doing this?

D

I have a bit of a theory. It seems as if the nylon nut in the center frame sticks to the shaft and the servo take a beating trying to move it. I am still waiting on my center frame and servo to come in so I haven’t taken the bird apart yet.If the grease in the servo assembly and bearings congeal enough and the nylon nut has

I have a bit of a theory. It seems as if the nylon nut in the center frame sticks to the shaft and the servo take a beating trying to move it. I am still waiting on my center frame and servo to come in so I haven’t taken the bird apart yet.If the grease in the servo assembly and bearings congeal enough and the nylon nut has

Enough stiction to the lead screw the gear won’t work.

When my part come in I will take the bearings and get them soaked in light Teflon/Graphite oil and see if they spin free. I have gotten good results with that on rc car bearings in the past.

I may also used graphite lube on the lead screw to free it up on the nylon nut.

As many of these issues I have seen since I got my bird I think it’s due to setting in travel mode for a long time and maybe some swelling of the nylon nut.As far as I know there isn’t a better answer so far. Every cure I have seen replaces the center frame or the lead screw was bent requiring straight ening

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD