Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Pushing I1 speed

Great video and enjoyed the multiple angles etc. I note you took off and presumably landed on a second boat. I am going to be spending a few weeks on a boat cruising north Alaska and the east coast of Russia, hopefully with my I1. Are you happy to provide a few hints on how you coped with the challenges? For instance: compass calibration (which I presume may have done before leaving shore and not repeating), taking off in ATTI mode versus GPS mode, landing back either on the deck or hand caught with the boat when it was "stationary" or still moving a (slow) steady speed. In my case I am concerned about taking off from the main ship (5200 tons of compass errors) or from a Zodiac (less metal to upset things but possible bobbing around). I'm not sure the captain is going to want to stop the ship so I can land more easily or that a Zodiac crew member is going to throw my I1 back towards me, after executing a superb hand catch as he plunges into sub-zero water. o_O Many thanks in anticipation.

Great video and enjoyed the multiple angles etc. I note you took off and presumably landed on a second boat. I am going to be spending a few weeks on a boat cruising north Alaska and the east coast of Russia, hopefully with my I1. Are you happy to provide a few hints on how you coped with the challenges? For instance: compass calibration (which I presume may have done before leaving shore and not repeating), taking off in ATTI mode versus GPS mode, landing back either on the deck or hand caught with the boat when it was "stationary" or still moving a (slow) steady speed. In my case I am concerned about taking off from the main ship (5200 tons of compass errors) or from a Zodiac (less metal to upset things but possible bobbing around). I'm not sure the captain is going to want to stop the ship so I can land more easily or that a Zodiac crew member is going to throw my I1 back towards me, after executing a superb hand catch as he plunges into sub-zero water. o_O Many thanks in anticipation.

I use to make calibration on the ground and take of from a second boat... never lift off from a ship.
We use to shoot in dual operators mode because it's the only way to point the boat going in different positions and make smooth transitions

The important things to remember in my experience are:

- check for distance limits in the app and cut them off... as the boat moves (and the home point not...) if the limits are present (the default setting should be 300mt) the I1 will stop in the middle of a flight... it could be very dangerous

-taking off: it's important to have a clear area around you, it could be useful a little portable table (not in metal) just to have an empty space around the Inspire. Take off should be very energetic in pushing up the stick because sometimes the Inspire could drift horizontally as it climbs in the first moments.

- we use to make hand catch landings because on small boats you risk to bump.... just put the bird hovering above your colleague and let him/her take with the fingers under the front/left and rear/right (or viceversa) landing gears... it's very easy. Landing on a small (moving) surface it's very dangerous because in the first moments the Inspire could skid around. But if you are on a ship it's not a problem

- fly in atti but also in gps the most of the times there's no problem.... in case of compass or strange behavior just switch to atti very quickly

Reactions: Black Sky

Please see my Facebook at Security Check Required for a video of a catch in 6 to 8 foot swells on Lake Michigan....I had to do this like 8 times.....kept in gps mode for added stability.....email me if you'd like more info

In this video from the same company, they clearly show a big UAV being used, not the i1. Are you sure that boat video was with the i1?

Water landings get the heart pumping for sure.....please visit www.facebook.com/armimagery/videos to see this example on Lake Michigan in some pretty hefty waves.....

Water landings get the heart pumping for sure.....please visit www.facebook.com/armimagery/videos to see this example on Lake Michigan in some pretty hefty waves.....
cyberkatis. I was not able to follow your link, although I did see the video you posted in a link at 3.03am. I think I posted a message on your Facebook page a few minutes ago but I rarely use Facebook and I am not sure I understand Facebook. Thanks for your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla