Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question for all with folding props.

My I1 Koptermax props remain outstretched pretty much straight after shutdown. I never spool up the motors with them folded, I did it once and did not like how they looked, seriously out of balance, probably not good for the motors.
Thank you. Don't they fold just a bit at least? Because if they do not move that would indicate either that the spooling down on I1 is much more gradual than on I2 or that the props are much tighter than what The Editor advised. That is that folding props should be just tight enough not to start folding when the drone is tipped on its side. I can't wait to see the photo of I2 with Koptermax which FDS promissed to post. That should give me pretty good indication how tight they should be on I2.

Last edited:
Just did a quick battery test, which I almost am not allowed to do by DJI's infinite wisdom(read, there is a baseball game a mile and half away) and when I landed and powered down the props are straight like arrows, and that's fine by me.

Thank you. Don't they fold just a bit at least? Because if they do not move that would indicate either that the spooling down on I1 is much more gradual than on I2 or that the props are much tighter than what The Editor advised. That is that folding props should be just tight enough not to start folding when the drone is tipped on its side. I can't wait to see the photo of I2 with Koptermax which FDS promissed to post. That should give me pretty good indication how tight they should be on I2.
Was just reading about the folding Propellers I love mine and thanks for the advice I was wondering how tight they should be thank you I really appreciate it I didn't open mine completely and I didn't like the way they started a lot of vibrations for a second thanks.

I've got the T-Motor folding props with the downward tips... not sure if that's the current design. I don't have a photo, but I adjusted mine... after a few tests, to where I get about a 1/2-3/4 blade thickness movement. That equates to about 8-10 degrees off of center line estimated. The side tilt test will barely move them if not at all, but a very light finger nudge will easily move them. When stopping, they are just off from being straight... about 1/2 a blade thickness.

I personally found if any looser, when I landed and stopped motors and powered back up there may be a short period of shake to straighten the blades. Currently, I can land, swap batteries, start back up without needing to restraighten blades.

Incidentally, that's a little tighter than the M600pro props but about the same I set the I1 props.
But as indicated, a little bit of tweaking after a few take-offs will fine tune and a 1/2 drop of thread lock Blue.

Reactions: Phil DeVore
I've got the T-Motor folding props with the downward tips... not sure if that's the current design. I don't have a photo, but I adjusted mine... after a few tests, to where I get about a 1/2-3/4 blade thickness movement. That equates to about 8-10 degrees off of center line estimated. The side tilt test will barely move them if not at all, but a very light finger nudge will easily move them. When stopping, they are just off from being straight... about 1/2 a blade thickness.

I personally found if any looser, when I landed and stopped motors and powered back up there may be a short period of shake to straighten the blades. Currently, I can land, swap batteries, start back up without needing to restraighten blades.

Incidentally, that's a little tighter than the M600pro props but about the same I set the I1 props.
But as indicated, a little bit of tweaking after a few take-offs will fine tune and a 1/2 drop of thread lock Blue.
Thanks.

@zubriroman ... you note on prop vibration. I’d start with tightness of screws. My guess is you have screws holding props too tight. Try loosening the screws until you have a little looseness... then straighten out using hands and try it again.

@zubriroman ... you note on prop vibration. I’d start with tightness of screws. My guess is you have screws holding props too tight. Try loosening the screws until you have a little looseness... then straighten out using hands and try it again.
I folded my propellers and I was able to get them perfectly tight by keeping them folded you could hold them together and tighten them until they stop moving up and down. Give it a try and you will be able to see how lose they are. This mad a big difference. This is what I suggest if anyone has folding Propellers for their inspire 2. after I did this it was perfectly tight. I found motors where moving very easily until I tightened them. I'm trying to explain it the best way I can and I hope this helps anyone with this question.

I folded my propellers and I was able to get them perfectly tight by keeping them folded you could hold them together and tighten them until they stop moving up and down. Give it a try and you will be able to see how lose they are. This mad a big difference. This is what I suggest if anyone has folding Propellers for their inspire 2. after I did this it was perfectly tight. Hope this helps you guy on this question.
Sorry but I am not sure if I can follow your process of adjusting the screws. Can you try to explain a bit better, please? Are you tightening the props while they are folded down or when they are fully outstretched? How exactly do you test if they are just tight enough?
I asked some time ago everyone with folding props to take a photo of their Inspire 2 from above after the flight and motors spool down to show how much the props move/fold down by themselves. I thought that it would be helpful to others having issues with vibrations to be able to adjust/loosen the screws if the props are too tight.

Sorry but I am not sure if I can follow your process of adjusting the screws. Can you try to explain a bit better, please? Are you tightening the props while they are folded down or when they are fully outstretched? How exactly do you test if they are just tight enough?
I asked some time ago everyone with folding props to take a photo of their Inspire 2 from above after the flight and motors spool down to show how much the props move/fold down by themselves. I thought that it would be helpful to others having issues with vibrations to be able to adjust/loosen the screws if the props are too tight.
You should find that folding the propellers and you will find the motors are very lose I tightened my Propellers until they didn't move any more and they are perfect now I don't have any problems with vibration or the motors being to tight. When I first started using them I had vibrations all the time so I folded them and found the motors had a lot of movement and I tightened them very carefully each srrew back and forth until the motors didn't move so much and I have not had any vibration problems with them again

You should find that folding the propellers and you will find the motors are very lose I tightened my Propellers until they didn't move any more and they are perfect now I don't have any problems with vibration or the motors being to tight. When I first started using them I had vibrations all the time so I folded them and found the motors had a lot of movement and I tightened them very carefully each srrew back and forth until the motors didn't move so much and I have not had any vibration problems with them again
Joe,
Can you please take a photo from above looking down at your Inspire2 immediately after a flight and after the motors completely stoped, to see all 4 propellers and their positions. To see if they remained completely outstretched or if they folded a bit by themselves. That would be extremely helpful.
Thanks

Last edited:
Fold the propellers together and hold them together and move them up and down you will see the motors moving very easily this means the Propellers are to lose your going to have to tighten the screws until the motors shaft does not move so easily your have to tighten the screws evenly each srrew a little bit at a time until the motors shaft is not so lose. This worked for me.

Joe,
Can you please take a photo from above looking down at your Inspire2 immediately after a flight and after the motors completely stoped, to see all 4 propellers and their positions. To see if they remained completely outstretched or if they folded a bit by themselves. That would be extremely helpful.
Thanks
I'm at work and my drone is at home I'll try to send a video if I can to show you but fold the Propellers together and move them up and down the shaft will move to easy if they don't then they are tight enough the shaft should not move so much

When you spool down the motors how much do the folding props fold or get off their outstretched position? A photo of the drone from above after the motors stop would be much appreciated
When they spool down they are going to still fold but they are going to be Straight

When you spool down the motors how much do the folding props fold or get off their outstretched position? A photo of the drone from above after the motors stop would be much appreciated
Here is how my props look like after spool down. I'd like to see other's props to compare if screw tension on my props is in the ballpark.

Attachments

• 20190601_093721.jpg
    20190601_093721.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190601_093729.jpg
    20190601_093729.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190601_093815.jpg
    20190601_093815.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190601_093826.jpg
    20190601_093826.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 12
Here is how my props look like after spool down. I'd like to see other's props to compare if screw tension on my props is in the ballpark.
They may be a little to tighten but if you're not having any problems I would stay with it. I'm going to try to send you a picture as soon as I can. I'm not home so I will try to send it to you if I don't get home to late. Are you having any vibration at all and are the motors moving freely.

They may be a little to tighten but if you're not having any problems I would stay with it. I'm going to try to send you a picture as soon as I can. I'm not home so I will try to send it to you if I don't get home to late. Are you having any vibration at all and are the motors moving freely.
Vibration is hard to measure but the drone flies fine and I do not see any deterioration in image quality which could be attributed to excessive vibration. I look forward to see your photos of the props after spool down. What do you mean by asking if my motors move freely?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo