Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question for all with folding props.

This is what my Propellers look after spool down.
Yours are definitelly a bit looser than mine. I actually did a simple measurement of force required to fold the props in the hub by holding the drone sideway in hand and placing the tip of a fully outstreched prop against a kitchen scale placed on dining table. By gently turning the motor I forced the tip of the prop against the scale. It showed about 45g. I was told by Koptermax people that the force required to fold the props should be about 50g at the tip of the prop. Yours could be by my estimate from looking at the photo around 30g.

Last edited:
Yours are definitelly a bit looser than mine. I actually did a simple measurement of force required to fold the props in the hub by holding the drone in hand and placing the tip of fully outstreched prop against a kitchen scale sitting on a table. Gently turning the motor forcing the tip of the prop against the scale shows about 45g. I was told by Koptermax people that the force required to fold the props should be about 50g. Yours could be by my estimate from looking at the photo around 30g.
Like I said I folded the Propellers together and moved them up and down and the motors were very lose then I tightened them until they stopped moving and I didn't want to tighten them to much because it was definitely putting a lot of pressure on the motors. I don't think they should be that tight you should still have free movement and they should not be that tight after spool down. I could be wrong but I don't have any vibration at all. I'm going to keep my Propellers the way they are for now but I want to keep in touch with you and let me know if you are having any problems and I'll let you know if I have any problems. I hear people say all different ways they should be tighting. Thanks and I hope we all can find out how tight they should be. Take care thanks.

My Tmotor folding I2 props seems to not move at all when spooling down. If your thinking about going to these props be very very careful to check and double check the torx bit your using to remove the factory prop locks. These screws are really torqued down with otherworldly threadlock. I would recommend warming up the thread lock and use a very good torx bit/driver. If you have inferior tools or the wrong bit its very easy to strip these prop lock scews. I just went through it and I don't like to admit it but I replaced a motor because I stripped one of the screws on the fourth motor.

My Tmotor folding I2 props seems to not move at all when spooling down. If your thinking about going to these props be very very careful to check and double check the torx bit your using to remove the factory prop locks. These screws are really torqued down with otherworldly threadlock. I would recommend warming up the thread lock and use a very good torx bit/driver. If you have inferior tools or the wrong bit its very easy to strip these prop lock scews. I just went through it and I don't like to admit it but I replaced a motor because I stripped one of the screws on the fourth motor.
I had to use a heat gun to remove the factory screws out. I actually stripped one of the screws and had a hard time but i got the screw out I don't know what kind of thread lock they used but they were very hard to get out even with a heat gun. Thanks for the info I appreciat it.

Like I said I folded the Propellers together and moved them up and down and the motors were very lose then I tightened them until they stopped moving and I didn't want to tighten them to much because it was definitely putting a lot of pressure on the motors. I don't think they should be that tight you should still have free movement and they should not be that tight after spool down. I could be wrong but I don't have any vibration at all. I'm going to keep my Propellers the way they are for now but I want to keep in touch with you and let me know if you are having any problems and I'll let you know if I have any problems. I hear people say all different ways they should be tighting. Thanks and I hope we all can find out how tight they should be. Take care thanks.
Thanks for participating and contributing, Joe. If more people post their photos we could perhaps get better understanding what is about right tension. One thing we can be sure of is that they should not be too tight because if they do not outstrech fully by centrifugal force that can definitely cause vibration. Too loose and they might flop around, as the motors accelerate and decelerate during flight.
Take care and safe flying!!

Reactions: Joe Perez
Thanks for participating and contributing, Joe. If more people post their photos we could perhaps get better understanding what is about right tension. One thing we can be sure of is that they should not be too tight because if they do not outstrech fully by centrifugal force that can definitely cause vibration. Too loose and they might flop around, as the motors accelerate and decelerate during flight.
Take care and safe flying!!
We have to do are best to help each other. Thank you ?

Reactions: Mixchief
I would like to beleive that I make sure the outstretch when tight is pefectly aligned. If there in the right spot when you take off and there tight, they should stay that way , I would hope.

I would like to beleive that I make sure the outstretch when tight is pefectly aligned. If there in the right spot when you take off and there tight, they should stay that way , I would hope.
It is almost impossible to outstretch them perfectly by hand. They only find their optimal oustretched position while spinning thanks to centrifugal force. They need to be loose enough for that to happen but not too loose to flop around. It is a fine ballance but not that critical, as long as they move "relatively freely" in the hub. The photos provided by Joe and me could be perhaps a good indicator of how tight they should be. Maybe more people will contribute with their photos which could help us all find the sweet spot for an optimal tension of these props.

Reactions: Joe Perez
It is almost impossible to outstretch them perfectly by hand. They only find their optimal oustretched position while spinning thanks to centrifugal force. They need to be loose enough for that to happen but not too loose to flop around. It is a fine ballance but not that critical, as long as they move "relatively freely" in the hub. The photos provided by Joe and me could be perhaps a good indicator of how tight they should be. Maybe more people will contribute with their photos which could help us all find the sweet spot for an optimal tension of these props.
?

Reactions: Phil DeVore
I was told that you should unfold the props before spooling up the motors to not put undo stress on them.
Absolutely true!! Perhaps not so crucial on small crafts like Mavic or Spark but definitely a must on Inspire 2. Just pull them out with both hands by their tips to as perfectly outstreched position as possible before spooling up.

Last edited:
spool up once with the props folded and you will never do it again, it doesn't look pretty

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop