Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Raw DNG size differences between SD and SSD

Reaction score
Silly little island off west coast of Europe
I've been trying out various things this afternoon with the SD and SSD cards and noticed that the Raw files are coming out at different sizes on each media!

Using Adobe Bridge to check the Exif and metadata gives the following...

On the SD card, the images are saved as:
Jpegs: 5280x3956 @ 8bit depth giving approx 8Mb filesize
RAW DNG: 5272x3948 @ 16bit depth giving approx 42Mb files.

On the SSD card, the images are saved as:
RAW DNG: 5280x3956 @ 12bit depth, giving approx 21Mb files.

Anyone else experiencing the same? I'd expected the RAW files to be the same sizes regardless of where they were saved!

I've been trying out various things this afternoon with the SD and SSD cards and noticed that the Raw files are coming out at different sizes on each media!

Using Adobe Bridge to check the Exif and metadata gives the following...

On the SD card, the images are saved as:
Jpegs: 5280x3956 @ 8bit depth giving approx 8Mb filesize
RAW DNG: 5272x3948 @ 16bit depth giving approx 42Mb files.

On the SSD card, the images are saved as:
RAW DNG: 5280x3956 @ 12bit depth, giving approx 21Mb files.

Anyone else experiencing the same? I'd expected the RAW files to be the same sizes regardless of where they were saved!

Bit depth is reason

The bit depth is 12 on both. 16 is likely an upackaged bit depth. Odd that it would be present on one and not the other in Bridge. I checked my DNG images recorded to SD and they are also 16 bit in Bridge. I checked the sample files from DJI and Cinema5D (my SSD is not here yet) and they both show 12 bit in Bridge. All of the same files show as 16 bit in Resolve.

Last edited:
I haven't yet installed the licenses for the video formats, but to be honest, I don't think it'll change anything! I'm just a bit bemused that saving to one media type halves the file size :D

DJI market the X5S as having a 12 bit colour depth, so I'd presumed that that's the bit depth and what the files are saved as - I was a bit surprised to see the SD RAW DNGs at 42Mb in size, but thought that that was the penalty for it being 12 bit instead of 8 bit. So I was even more surprised to see the SSD DNG's coming out at 8 bit sizes.

I'll do some controlled lighting bench tests at some point when I get a chance - that way might find out if there's any real difference between the SD and SSD versions (ie if one is really 12 bit and one is 8 bit), not that it really matters :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
synders3664