Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Really on the fence at the moment on Pro 1 purchase. Help...?

Reaction score
Hi all. I'll be short and sweet

I am an amateur photographer who takes photos for fun (Photos By Jeff on fb, or jeffwizniak.smugmug.com if you want to see my style)

I own a Nikon D810 with various lenses. I bought a Phantom 3 advanced to see if I would enjoy drone photography.

I LOVE the photo ops available to me with a drone, and I realized when I flew the Phantom 3 a few times that I really enjoyed it. But coming from a guy who owns a Nikon D810 full frame, needless to say the P3A camera is not overly awesome. I love playing with RAW files and tweaking images, and I thought that the Inspire might give me a better shot at things.

So anyhow, I also realize something. The X5 isnt an amazing camera either. It's only 16mp, and with 12.8 stops of DR, its no full frame, or even as solid as a decent crop unit (recent sony sensors come to mind)

BUT, aside from building a full bore rig that will not have the sweet DJI integration and huge price tag and liability, this is the best I can do.

- As a photographer, would I regret spending the money?! Did you?!

- Could we see a larger sensor camera come out from DJI within a year or two?!

- Is the Inspire 1 V2.0 capable possibly of a larger sensor housing or is this the max payload as is?!

- Do you see something within a year or two changing the game?!

I can get an Inspire Pro shipped to me new in box for a FANTASTIC deal (3600 usd shipped) or 5200$ Cdn. Thats a LOT of money for a 16mp camera with wings....

Any thoughts?! Anyone regret spending the $$?!? Anyone holding out for something better?!?

The next step up is an S1000 with an A7 camera, and to get a unit like that up in the sky with a good video downlink is likely a 5 figure approach, and would require a long set up and tear down every flight....

Any advice is appreciated!

Below is a shot from my P3A

Attachments

• DB1.jpg
    DB1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
Megapixels are not everything. We get nice images from the x5. We also are professional credentialed photographers. Do we know everything?...no. We know enough that a camera does not make the photgrapher. I have seen good photgraphers take amazing photos with 1/2 azzed cameras. You may wait forever on technology or you can buy now.....:)

Hey, for the price you mentioned, I think a 16mp micro four thirds that flies as well as it does offering such great integration is a slam dunk. I have an S800 with a Panasonic Lumix that I hardly ever take out anymore because it's such a bear and takes forever to get set to fly and pack away. My Inspire X3 with two remotes cost almost that much and I have been happy with the value (and frequent use) I get from it

3600 USD complete... for an Inspire Pro. Great deal for such a unique platform.

Very true, and I agree. Honestly, if this was 24mp and a slightly larger 3:2 sensor, I would have zero doubts. Howeve rI realise the ecosystem for larger sensors has larger lenses and micro 4/3'd s is well established. I feel this was thought of moreso with video in mind! Either way, I DONT do a lot of printing so I also realise thats a factor!

I am an amateur photographer who takes photos for fun (Photos By Jeff on fb, or jeffwizniak.smugmug.com if you want to see my style)

I own a Nikon D810 with various lenses. I bought a Phantom 3 advanced to see if I would enjoy drone photography.

I LOVE the photo ops available to me with a drone, and I realized when I flew the Phantom 3 a few times that I really enjoyed it. But coming from a guy who owns a Nikon D810 full frame, needless to say the P3A camera is not overly awesome. I love playing with RAW files and tweaking images, and I thought that the Inspire might give me a better shot at things.

So anyhow, I also realize something. The X5 isnt an amazing camera either. It's only 16mp, and with 12.8 stops of DR, its no full frame, or even as solid as a decent crop unit (recent sony sensors come to mind)

BUT, aside from building a full bore rig that will not have the sweet DJI integration and huge price tag and liability, this is the best I can do.

- Is the Inspire 1 V2.0 capable possibly of a larger sensor housing or is this the max payload as is?!

I can get an Inspire Pro shipped to me new in box for a FANTASTIC deal (3600 usd shipped) or 5200$ Cdn. Thats a LOT of money for a 16mp camera with wings....

Any thoughts?! Anyone regret spending the $$?!? Anyone holding out for something better?!?

The next step up is an S1000 with an A7 camera, and to get a unit like that up in the sky with a good video downlink is likely a 5 figure approach, and would require a long set up and tear down every flight....

Had a look at your Smugmug site. Lovely work

Had a look at your Smugmug site. Lovely work

Appreciated thx. Sometimes I over process and I am slowly developing my eye and processing. I like to process photos to add my own touch, and I realize it isnt for everyone, but it's all personal taste!

I'm on the other side of the screen, a Photo Lab been in the film developing/custom lab for the last 35 yrs
as the old industry of film was merging with the digital, for i while now, the lab equipment is merging to, if you give me an image that is 1.5 meg jpeg done with a dx300 or a 15 meg done with an hasselblad large format. and you request a 11x14 pic the lab equipment will reduce to 300 dpi to be able to print on photo paper larger pic 20x30 and up will be converted to tiff. your output dpi will be the same, the only difference will be in the way we can manage the image to our liking on post and pc screen view. But once they get to the lab larger ,smaller all get to the same funnel to be printed on paper>
Just the other side of the coin
Do you all remember negatives and glossy kodak paper? well soon all photos will be done on press printing. most of chemical paper processor are hard to get parts for them.
On videos I'm a nebew

FYI I committed and paid. I figure at that price, I can sell it if I have buyers remorse. But I cant deny that I am a little excited :) Just another tool in the bag of trying to capture something interesting that makes a person take a longer glance...

Having bought an Inspire 1 and X5 I'd hold off unless you really want to play. On a stills front I've not really got anything publishable.
Video has been reasonably quality, but I'm loathed to use it in a sequence taken with a 5D3 or 1DX.
There should have been Image stabilisation in camera, as it is in Olympus 4/3's - that would have made a lot of difference to stills at least. Nothing is absolutely tack sharp - to print any larger than, say A4. Shooting RAW is absolutely essential to get acceptable results in most scenarios.

Not happy with DJI at all, have problems with the Ronin-m rigs after a firmware update.

I have some hobby stuff on Flickr.

Having bought an Inspire 1 and X5 I'd hold off unless you really want to play. On a stills front I've not really got anything publishable.
Video has been reasonably quality, but I'm loathed to use it in a sequence taken with a 5D3 or 1DX.
There should have been Image stabilisation in camera, as it is in Olympus 4/3's - that would have made a lot of difference to stills at least. Nothing is absolutely tack sharp - to print any larger than, say A4. Shooting RAW is absolutely essential to get acceptable results in most scenarios.

Not happy with DJI at all, have problems with the Ronin-m rigs after a firmware update.

Yup Hobby grade....

Reactions: Jay Baldwin
I think from a person who has good RC experience, good photography experience and very good aerial photo experience that those that throw stones at a system that incorporates shooting stills and video from a moving platform should really wake up and realize that this is a good system, only to be outdone MAYBE by spending 2 to 3 times more. Go ahead and wait and with some here you wont be happy with anything anyone puts out....:)

Well Sir, I just purchased my first Inspire Pro X5 in the final days of Dec. 2015. I've flown it 52 times. Personally I like it. Still testing lens resolution, so cannot help you there. Ease of use is excellent. It's a great package deal. I still shoot 4x5 and I have the same eye for tact sharp as you guys, the jury is still out, I'll let you know how it prints.

Buyers remorse, Heck YES..........DJI is DJI, Don't Jump In, meaning they change with the wind........**** my new model is a reconfigured 1410 wannabe 1510, gee zzz. Will this AC do what I purchased it to do? Yes, I believe it will. Just wish they would have a real fricking game plan.

No Sir, Do not buy now, wait, that's my opinion. I've waited along time to finally jump in, I should have waited another year.

Jeff I think you will be disappointed. As for the X5, I don't have any experience, but I would await the X5R (RAW) at least.

I have had a bad experience with the X3 as on the launch of the X5, DJI dumbed down X3 the camera log to what they now call D-log during a routine firmware upgrade. Before this I was very happy with the images but now with a consequently severe loss in dynamic range my Inspire is now to me a toy rather than a professional flying camera. I cannot believe how any company can take away something we paid for as DJI did!

Who knows what functionality they may take away from the not-so-inexpensive X5 when the next product is launched??

The CES 2016 showed huge advances by other companies in such as short time, maybe you should wait a few months and see who takes the baton from DJI?

Reactions: speckfisher
The x5 for most that understand camera functionality is a much better overall system than the x3. Exposure control to start with puts the x5 way above the x3. For us it doesn't matter, when the x6 or x30 comes out we will adopt..:)

To me, the real difference lies in ability to adjust aperture. In some videography and photography this is very important and can't easily be duplicated in post. If your work is dependent on DOF and binocular depth perception then, the X5 is worth considering.

Reactions: kcobello

Im not sure what you are wanting. Im in television production and for stills I use my Mark 3 Canon. the X5 will take better pics in my opinion and I feel sorry for the big boys that have spent tens of thousands to get a mark 3 in the air. Im just the opposite. Im waiting for the X5 adapter so I can use an OSMO to replace the Mark 3 for filming.

Reactions: kcobello
Im not sure what you are wanting. Im in television production and for stills I use my Mark 3 Canon. the X5 will take better pics in my opinion and I feel sorry for the big boys that have spent tens of thousands to get a mark 3 in the air. Im just the opposite. Im waiting for the X5 adapter so I can use an OSMO to replace the Mark 3 for filming.
Thank you..I have used standard cameras, Nikon D3, 7100, and aerial cameras Sony Nex 7,5 and GoPros. The x5 works for us because unless you are hired by Hollywood level productions, where I live, spending on anything more is a waste of money.

Reactions: speckfisher

Im the opposite. My X5 video is so high above the Canon Mark 3 5D. Im going to buy the BM Ursa now and leave the Mark 3 just for stills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth