Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

recommendations for new pilot

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been watching the drone evolution for a while and I'm jumping in now.

I just purchased an Inspire 1 as my first drone. I'm looking for the best way to learn flying and hoping to not put my investment at risk. I'm thinking about buying a Phantom as a learner based on a expectation that I will probably crash at some point.

I can buy a new Phantom 2 for $499 at my local dealer. Or I was considering a Phantom 3 as I understand it is very similar to fly (maybe the new Phantom 3 Standard).

Would appreciate any thoughts you have on if I should buy a 2nd "learner" drone and if so which one...

Thanks!

Not counting the large size difference, my P3P and Inspire 1 feel very similar when flying. The P3A is going to be the closest since it uses a very similar remote controller and the DJI GO app. An older style Phantom would be an okay choice too. But, the older you go, the less it's going to fly like an Inspire 1.

Hi all, I've been watching the drone evolution for a while and I'm jumping in now.

I just purchased an Inspire 1 as my first drone. I'm looking for the best way to learn flying and hoping to not put my investment at risk. I'm thinking about buying a Phantom as a learner based on a expectation that I will probably crash at some point.

I can buy a new Phantom 2 for $499 at my local dealer. Or I was considering a Phantom 3 as I understand it is very similar to fly (maybe the new Phantom 3 Standard).

Would appreciate any thoughts you have on if I should buy a 2nd "learner" drone and if so which one...

Thanks!
I started started 5 months ago with the Inspire 1 only and am now qualified and approved by the UK CAA. I started with the built-in simulator in the GO app to familiarise myself with the controls and handling. I went on to flying in training mode (30m hit and range) to practice those skills. I then got a little too confident in the craft and dented a few blades. The thing is to learn for yourself in a safe place, get used to its flying characteristics, practice the different modes and enjoy yourself. One tip is to set your control sticks to about 0.4 to stop you putting it too large an input.

Thanks!

In my opinion it's a no-brainer that yes, you should buy a "learner" quad. This way you can become proficient without constantly fretting over balling up a $3k quad. On one hand you should get a cheap phantom, on the other the P3 shares some similarities with I1 so it could also be good. I'd get the P3A.

Learn about IMU calibration. How do I know when and where it is ok to calibrate the compass? What are mod values? Where are the airports? Get an iOS device to use the simulator since it will allow you to become comfortable interacting with the control sticks as well as interacting with the various settings in the app and how it affects the quad. My $0.02.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry