Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Recording video raw on inspire?

So the two 4K samples files are then compressed from the camera and converted to ProRes I assume. Regardless, the video quality in these files is pretty awesome and gives me great confidence in the camera on the Inspire.

Raw files are just a lot of work. This camera can take raw recording. For eksempel Black magic 4k. link:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/cinemacameras/techspecs/

My favorite part is

Storage Rates
8MB per frame using 4K CinemaDNG RAW fits about 20 minutes of video on a 256 GB solid state disk. Compressed Ultra HD formats fit more than 5 times the amount of RAW video.​

256GB per 20 minutes of video at 4K Raw. That's 5 minutes on a 64G microSD card, if you can find one fast enough, a bit over 213MB/s if I'm doing my math correctly.

The video bitrate published for the DJI Inspire 1 is 60 MB/s which can handle 4K video only in compressed format. The H.264 compression specified only requires 30 MB/s for lowest quality 4K, so here's hoping that either the Inspire 1 ships with firmware that gives us the option to dial down compression, or gives us a firmware upgrade sometime after release that gives us the option to do so.

The video bitrate published for the DJI Inspire 1 is 60 MB/s which can handle 4K video only in compressed format. The H.264 compression specified only requires 30 MB/s for lowest quality 4K, so here's hoping that either the Inspire 1 ships with firmware that gives us the option to dial down compression, or gives us a firmware upgrade sometime after release that gives us the option to do so.

Turtle, you gotta be careful how you write: MB/s = megaBytes/s. Mb/s = megabits/s. There are 8 bits in every Byte, so the MB/s rate for the Inspire cam is 60 Mb/s divided by 8. H.264 compression using AVH-C profile can be variable by frame or constant, with advantages to both based on the type of scene depicted (lots of motion vs not so much). Until we get more detail of the software used to encode the sensor output, we're only guessing here.

Turtle, you gotta be careful how you write: MB/s = megaBytes/s. Mb/s = megabits/s. There are 8 bits in every Byte, so the MB/s rate for the Inspire cam is 60 Mb/s divided by 8. H.264 compression using AVH-C profile can be variable by frame or constant, with advantages to both based on the type of scene depicted (lots of motion vs not so much). Until we get more detail of the software used to encode the sensor output, we're only guessing here.

Astute observation. DJI did in fact post a 60 Mb/s spec, but I gave them some slack for the typo. 60 Mb/s = 7.5 MB/s which barely supports 1080p, and cannot support any implementation of 4K video compressed using the H.264 codec. H.264 compressed 4k video requires a minimum burst write rate of 30 MB/s. It is far more likely that the DJI outputs a maximum video bit rate of 60 MB/s.

No harm, no foul. GoPro is infamous for publishing Mb/s instead of MB/s in their specs, and nobody calls them on it. To their credit, they do specify Micro SD cards with a minimum write speed of 30 MB/s for 4K recording on the Hero 4 Black.

To the OP's question, RAW 4K video at 24 fps requires about 324 MB/s, so no, the DJI Inspire 1 can certainly not record RAW 4K files.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeddyBirkb