Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Recurrent Remote Pilot Certificate Part 107

Reaction score
Here something to think about from a article I read by - Patrick Eagan article
Recurrent Remote Pilot Certificate Part 107 numbers down 73% - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

so why is it????

I am sure there are those who jumped into this thinking they were going have a new career, those who do not want to take the time, and those who say they are not going to reinforce all this anyway.

On the same side there are those who hire drone guys and have no clue what to look for, the legality needed to properly do so. The drone guy's certificate has not experation date. So as far as people who ask know if the drone operater says they have a part 107 certification they can show them the card and there is no way of knowing the operator is not in current standing unless they do the leg work on the FAA site.

For the commercial guys here it also may help to know this information for your next job.

Recurrent Remote Pilot Certificate Part 107 numbers down 73% - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

so why is it????

I am sure there are those who jumped into this thinking they were going have a new career, those who do not want to take the time, and those who say they are not going to reinforce all this anyway.

On the same side there are those who hire drone guys and have no clue what to look for, the legality needed to properly do so. The drone guy's certificate has not experation date. So as far as people who ask know if the drone operater says they have a part 107 certification they can show them the card and there is no way of knowing the operator is not in current standing unless they do the leg work on the FAA site.

For the commercial guys here it also may help to know this information for your next job.

Actually it does has an expiration date just the same with variations as a Private Pilot would have to do. My manned Private Pilots certification as well as my Aircraft Mechanics certification all have disclaimers that if I do not keep current I can not use the privaleges authorized by the particular certificate.

Both my Private Pilots and Mechanics certificates do not have an expiration date.

107.65 Aeronautical knowledge recency.
A person may not operate a small unmanned aircraft system unless that person has completed one of the following, within the previous 24 calendar months:

(a) Passed an initial aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.73(a);

(b) Passed a recurrent aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.73(b); or

(c) If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in § § 61.56, passed either an initial or recurrent training course covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.74(a) or (b) in a manner acceptable to the Administrator.

While flying manned aircraft or maintaining manned aircraft, I was never asked if I had required certifications except by employers.

To answer your question, some licensed Remote pilots are simply not renewing and continue to fly because there is no enforcement or they gave up the pursuit of becoming a "millionaire by flying drones".

I am one of the part 61 "Wildcards"

Actually it does has an expiration date just the same with variations as a Private Pilot would have to do. My manned Private Pilots certification as well as my Aircraft Mechanics certification all have disclaimers that if I do not keep current I can not use the privaleges authorized by the particular certificate.

Both my Private Pilots and Mechanics certificates do not have an expiration date.

A person may not operate a small unmanned aircraft system unless that person has completed one of the following, within the previous 24 calendar months:

(a) Passed an initial aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.73(a);

(b) Passed a recurrent aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.73(b); or

(c) If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in § § 61.56, passed either an initial or recurrent training course covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.74(a) or (b) in a manner acceptable to the Administrator.

While flying manned aircraft or maintaining manned aircraft, I was never asked if I had required certifications except by employers.

To answer your question, some licensed Remote pilots are simply not renewing and continue to fly because there is no enforcement or they gave up the pursuit of becoming a "millionaire by flying drones".

I’m a retired commercial pilot and do drone work for a number of real estate companies. I have renewed my 107 and I also carry insurance. If you operate without proper credentials you are also putting the client at risk liability wise as well. With 40 yrs aviation experience you see many unforeseen problems with equipment and your judgement. You can operate beyond the rules but you can also end up with huge problems for yourself and others. Many will choose to ignore the rules (some desperately need to be modified), but reality has a way rearing it’s ugly head when you think you have it all under control. My suggestion is to equip and protect yourself and ignore those who skate around the rules. It’s not worth the associated risks to do otherwise. Ciao

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Concur with Yates. I was one of the early pilots in our state getting the recurrent. At the time no one knew for sure how it was going to be handled. But in the end the same as Part 61. Your card does not have an expiration date, but you need to keep your paperwork with you to prove currency if asked (in the field). Indeed if you are not current your clients are at risk (and maybe your insurance coverage). My major client is a broadcast network and they are under strict orders to make sure that all aerial footage that they 'air' is in full compliance with the FAA. If they air any non-legal footage they then have the FCC to deal with. In the competitive world of advertising, I would not be surprised to see a legal company drop a note to the FAA about how their competitor who is saving money by using non-legal images.

It's nice to see lawyers still run the show in the U.S. Nothing matters but that little certificate, which, as we ALL know, guarantees nothing.

I think a lot of guys got their 107 and realized they never used it. NOT that they never flew, but that nobody ever asked them for it. I've been asked if I have a 107 certificate a couple times, but never actually asked to see the credentials.

When you combine these factors:

* 107 Guarantees nothing, including safety
* Nobody asks for it
* It costs time and money to acquire
* UAV Pilot safety record and experience mean literally nothing in the eyes of the FAA. They don't even track it.

...you get a failed program. Just my opinion.

On the positive side, the 107 PROGRAM DOES raise awareness in some vitally important areas like the NAS. But unfortunately, a lot of that good knowledge is diluted with erroneous questions regarding weather patterns, airport signage and cloud formations that will never, ever come into play for any UAV pilot. If you walk outside and it's windy and/or raining, you don't fly. It's that simple. But wait!!! The METARs said it would be calm!!!...LOL... Vital information like flight paths (not flight PATTERNS) and glide slopes are left out (at least that's how it used to be).

If it were up to me, I would focus the entire test on the NAS, flight paths, glide slopes, WIND, understanding LiPo batteries, understanding UAV firmware, understanding UAV software and knowing all the necessary terms associated with aviation. Instead, I educated MYSELF on all the things the 107 missed out on. But alas, we don't get credit for knowing more than a 107 certified pilot who just got a P4P for Christmas and flew it twice. Maddening.

D

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt

SanCap

Good response that is exactly my point, and in my original post I did not properly state what I was getting at on the expiration, in some cases I have had some people ask to see my 107 certificate, on the certificate it self there is not expiration date listed. If you do not know much about the process then the people asking would not know if the certificate was current or not with out doing a little extra leg work.

So as stated in another post, not having the proper current credential also brings the client more into the mix for liability.

best

Reactions: SanCap

so why is it????

I think a lot of people thought this was a new career not realizing that a UAS is just another tool. No matter how many tools your have in your bag, if you don't know how to use them, they are worthless. Buying a UAS does not make you a surveyor or an agronomist or anything else for that matter. Without the background and understanding of the field you choose to operate in, your just another putz with a drone. Starting a business without a solid business plan is a sure way to fail.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips