Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reduced range using Crystal Sky with I2

Reaction score
The other day I had a little bit of an issue with my crystal sky in the middle of a mission, so I removed it from my controller and connected via cable to an iPad laying off to the side to finish up. Immediately I got extra bars of connectivity. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like, even when aimed in the right direction, my range is greatly reduced with the Crystal Sky on.
Cheers
Russell

Just wondering if the signal strength indicators actually mean anything other than the presence of a signal ie do 2 out of 4 bars really mean a 50% reduction or just a reduction?

Even if they were, somehow, accurately calibrated I’m not convinced Apple and DJI would necessarily use the same scale of measurement.

Be interesting to see what others think though.

Take care. Peter

yeah, not sure. What I can say is this... the area I was flying had lots of high trees and a 200' ceiling. When I was at the far end of the property, maybe 2000' away, I kept losing signal entirely. With the Crystal Sky off, no problem.
Going to run some more practical tests today, but I think I will be ordering a quick connect mod for my RC so I have antenna options

Reactions: P. J.
yeah, not sure. What I can say is this... the area I was flying had lots of high trees and a 200' ceiling. When I was at the far end of the property, maybe 2000' away, I kept losing signal entirely. With the Crystal Sky off, no problem.
Going to run some more practical tests today, but I think I will be ordering a quick connect mod for my RC so I have antenna options

Be interesting to see what results you get...keep us posted.

Cheers from a sunny, warm but locked down Liverpool U.K.

Did a test today and didn't get conclusive results. Flying around my neighborhood isn't the best for that kind of test though, so I'll do it again next time I'm out.
I'm thinking pretty seriously about one of these Command Cases
Anyone ever used one? Love to hear some real world results stories

Struggling to see how the crystal sky would effect range unless there is some sort of radio interferance coming from your monitor. The crystal sky was developed with the Inspire 1 & 2 in mind so you would imagine I hope, that DJI ensured perfect compatibility with the various controllers it can be used with. Interested to hear how you get on. Is this something you just noticed or have you just purchased a Crystal Sky monitor?

I'm using CS from the time they were released. While Inspire 1 have some range problems caused by last firmwares I don't see such a behaviour with M600pro or Mavic pro. On both drones I'm using the small and big CS monitors and on the mavic is the small one.

Before the CS I was using samsung N4 and Tab2 and I didn't noticed any difference in range when I started using the CS.

Wondering to see what you will find further.

Do you use different usb cables for the ipad and the CS, if you are can you try the CS with the same cable you use for the ipad, it could have better shielding?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry