Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Replace bearing or whole motor?

Reaction score
So I had my first real crash. The specifics don't matter much but there was a little bit of damage.

Inspire rolled down a 45ish degree concrete/rock slab for ~15 feet and into a bush. It just tipped over so there wasn't any impact damage. I killed the motors with the CSC (or whatever the acronym is, both sticks down and in) so there wasn't much happening other than the slow-motion feeling dramatic tip over and roll.

After retrieving it, aside from scratches and a few dings, some broken props and a few pulled pins from the x3 camera cable, there was no damage other than quite obviously a rock inside one of the motors. Blew the motor out with some nerd gas but there was just a twinge of grind still when I rotated the motor manually.

I've had it over a year so without the warranty I had no issues opening it up to inspect. Upon further investigation the motor in question seemed clean, however the bearing seems to contain the ever so slight grinding.

My questions:
- Should I bother looking in to replacing the bearing or should I replace the entire motor?
- What else would you guys recommend that I check before trying to fly it again?

I'm also seriously considering the X5 camera as I am ditching my Canon SLR for a m4/3 (If anyone is interested in a Canon 2.8 70-200 IS II and EX-580 flash in good shape and is in Canada/US, shoot me a message) set up and I love the idea of being able to share lenses and match ground and aerial framing/quality when shooting. So I figure it's probably a good time to give the whole unit a real good once-over to make sure everything is in tip-top shape.

Thank you for your time.

To be on the safe side if it was my bird, I would replace the motor. There is not much room for error with this things. Good luck.

Reactions: marg2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shefy