Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

RF-V16 GPS locator

I agree with you 100%
I'm going to Oder one, does anyone have a guide for when it's received so I don't experience the Chinese setup?
Many thanks

You will first need to get a SIM from your GSM cellco of choice, and get them to provision it correctly. It takes a Micro SIM, but I asked for a Nano SIM, and used an adapter. The device is completely managed by sending commands to it in text messages. So it must be up on your cell network before you can do anything with it. An instruction manual is included. Though it is brief, if you follow the steps, in order, you should have no problem.

You will first need to get a SIM from your GSM cellco of choice, and get them to provision it correctly. It takes a Micro SIM, but I asked for a Nano SIM, and used an adapter. The device is completely managed by sending commands to it in text messages. So it must be up on your cell network before you can do anything with it. An instruction manual is included. Though it is brief, if you follow the steps, in order, you should have no problem.

Im with EE in UK will get a SIM added to my iPhone 6 contract

Today I was finally successful in getting AT&T to add the RF-V16 locater added to my AT&T Mobileshare account for $10/month. Before today, it was listed as generic Smartphone for $15/month, same as I pay for the iPhone 6'es on the same account.

The RF-V16 requires both a data and a voice plan (because you can call it and make it ring), but it operates as a GPS tracker, just like the Amber Alert tracker they sell for $100, plus a 2 year contract (my RF-V16 was $40 from an eBay seller). It was a struggle, but AT&T agreed that a GPS tracker should be $10/mo and no activation fee. They had to insert a fake IMEI instead of the one on the unit, to make their system recognize it as a tracker, and not a phone. It looks like the change actually took the rate, but it remains to be seen if they reversed the $40 activation.

$10/mo might not be the cheapest service, but it just appears as a line on the cell bill I already get, I can turn it off whenever I want, so it turns out to be very easy and convenient. Plus AT&T works nearly everywhere. No charge for the SIM card and phone number, and no activation fee (hopefully).

I am a big fan of the device. about an inch square and 27g. Plus it has a speakerphone on board. Besides all the GPS position related information exchanged by sending text messages to it, you can send it a command to place it in auto answer. Then call it, and see what it really sounds like at altitude! (not worth much, but bragging rights to your friends).

Could you tell me what APN line of text you sent?

I can get text messages back with the link to google maps when I send dw#, but I cannot get the TrackAnywhere app to work, think the APN needs to be set for ATT. Did you get your Trackanywhere app to work?

I can get text messages back with the link to google maps when I send dw#, but I cannot get the TrackAnywhere app to work, think the APN needs to be set for ATT. Did you get your Trackanywhere app to work?

The AT&T APN is already installed. If that was not there, the device would not work at all. If you want to get trackanywhere URLs to be delivered, you have have to turn off "data upload" That causes the device to not use GPS, and rely on cell site triangulation only. With GPS off, the position will be way off, almost a mile away at my house. I have no idea why anyone would want to do that, especially looking for their pet drone.

Thanks, so I understand that the google maps location with lat/long is going to be more accurate than the trackanywhere app.

Is anyone having issues logging in to the track anywhere app? For over a week now I get the message "Unable to connect to server, please try again later"

Hi all... Just dropped in from the PhantomPilots forum to say hi (now don't all attack me at once... please make a neat orderly line and take a number)...

Was wanting to confirm that the RF-V16 works in Australia with all you fellow Aussies and would you recommend it after either testing it in the field, or even better actually needed to use it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool