Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

RTH inaccuracy I1 and i1V2

Reaction score
I wouldn't know how to even search this topic, so, here goes. The RTH feature on my Phantoms is phenomenally accurate. I use one of those windshield, sun blockers for truck windshileds where Amazon vendor has put a BIG H LOL and the landings are usually spot on. If not spot on, within 6 inches of spot on. While both Inspire 1's usually don't even come close. I'm often launching from a dock that's not huge and almost always have to manually land/tweak the settings.
All calibrations are done, etc. so I thought I'd ask the membership and see if I get the answer . . . "They all do that". I might add, that the landings are more accurate in an open area whereas on the dock there're gangplank railings, deck chairs, and the free space around the landing pad extends the radius to < 6 feet.

I really don't care about the RTH.Used it once and as soon I saw my Inspire I took my controls back.I see this option as a thing when you lose connection.

I wouldn't know how to even search this topic, so, here goes. The RTH feature on my Phantoms is phenomenally accurate. I use one of those windshield, sun blockers for truck windshileds where Amazon vendor has put a BIG H LOL and the landings are usually spot on. If not spot on, within 6 inches of spot on. While both Inspire 1's usually don't even come close. I'm often launching from a dock that's not huge and almost always have to manually land/tweak the settings.
All calibrations are done, etc. so I thought I'd ask the membership and see if I get the answer . . . "They all do that". I might add, that the landings are more accurate in an open area whereas on the dock there're gangplank railings, deck chairs, and the free space around the landing pad extends the radius to < 6 feet.
You could always try typing in "RTH accuracy" into the search field.
This (and other threads) are returned:
How Accurate Should RTH be?

To further answer your question - normal behaviour since the Inspire 1 series does not have algorithms to 'look' at it's take off point to remember to come back to.
It simply has downward facing vision sensors to aid it's positional hold in low hover. They are not used for any RTH purposes.

Reactions: Phil DeVore
Your response evokes more questions than answers. Since discussion about time-worn topics seems to be discouraged perhaps your knowledge as to where this is discussed in depth you will point out as this response seems to imply RTH almost worthless? Thanks btw

I have the Inspire 2 and I am quite satisfied with its RTH positioning when I choose to use it. As the other posters have already stated when I see the aircraft I take control and land it manually.
IMHO, RTH is only used when connection is broken and I need the aircraft to return to my location.
;)

Reactions: The Editor
I have the Inspire 2 and I am quite satisfied with its RTH positioning when I choose to use it. As the other posters have already stated when I see the aircraft I take control and land it manually.
IMHO, RTH is only used when connection is broken and I need the aircraft to return to my location.
;)
I have the P4PV2, P4, P3P, MP, and I1V2, all that I bought new, and I have used the RTH on all of them and was first extremely impressed with the accuracy of my P4 as compared with my P3P, and I1V2 especially when operating in the 8,000' to 12,000' MSL environment where I live most of the year. Quite often I would lose connection caused by the the 120+' trees in the takeoff area or the mountainous terrain where I fly. Prior to my P4 and then my P4PV2 and MP I would have the RTH bring my P3P and I1V2 quadcopters close to take over and manually control the landing. My newest P4, P4PV2, and MP are so accurate when returning using RTH that I enjoy watching the accuracy of the landing.

While certainly one has the option to land manually, and implied RTH mainly for lost connection, it's indeed a joy to see (and hear) the unit coming back. And while visual contact is important, it's just not always possible for whatever reasons and I'm a big fan of the backup of RTH. I guess also I'm jaded by the Phantom 4's ability to 'nail it' on RTH. Perhaps the Inspire 2 a lot better than the 1, but no real complaints as I'm pretty much a fair weather flyer and am more interested in the unit as a platform for a camera, tho', it sure is fun to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool