Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Scary Landing!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just flown my brand new Inspire 1 after a long absence due to a crash. It is a brand new air frame and out of my first three flights, using the same battery, it failed to lower the landing gear, in return to home mode which the app had initiated, on the last one. It was really scary as its a brand new camera as well and I had to take control and make it hover whilst it attempted to land and catch it from below so it didnt crash on the gimbal.
I am getting re-used to the Inspire and taking everything really slowly so I am a bit put off by this issue.

The first two landings, in auto mode were on to hard ground whereas the third was onto short grass.
Return to home had been initiated automatically as I was letting the battery run down and even though the app said "landing gear is lowering" it was obvious it wasnt going to lower so I took control and caught the aircraft. Moments after the the power cut out.
Was it maybe that there wasn't enough power to lower the gear, even though the Inspire had initiated the return to home?
In the first two flights where the landing gear did lower, it seemed to be very near to the ground when it did so. I seem to remember it happening about 10 foot off the ground before.
Its a very hot day here and the battery temp reached 50 degrees... any bearing?

I have put a new battery on the aircraft and it will raise, lower and enter travel mode when using the remote control switch. I will fly it again tomorrow.

Many thanks

What fw is the craft on ?

It is very close to the ground when it comes down now 1-4ft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its on the latest firmware, 1.9 I think but definitely the latest, but 1.6 on the controller because of the slave remote issue.
If the landing gear opens up at one foot off the ground, isn't there a danger it will hit before its deployed?

Hi Guys,
As an update, Ive just done another flight with the Inspire (minus the camera) I used a whole battery just running through take off and landings, both automated and manual as well as return to home. Across about 20 landings, there was one where the gear didn't open. The Inspire was on RTH which I initiated via the controller. I had to let it down gently and carefully and on its belly (good job the camera wasn't attached!)
Coincidentally the Inspire was on a return to home, which the app had initiated due to low power, when this occurred yesterday.
Any thoughts? This is potentially disastrous for the Inspre and camera/gimbal unit. This shouldn't be happening with a brand new quad!

you can manually lower it from the home station. Also if you have kevlar gloves you can catch land

Hi Guys,
As an update, Ive just done another flight with the Inspire (minus the camera) I used a whole battery just running through take off and landings, both automated and manual as well as return to home. Across about 20 landings, there was one where the gear didn't open. The Inspire was on RTH which I initiated via the controller. I had to let it down gently and carefully and on its belly (good job the camera wasn't attached!)
Coincidentally the Inspire was on a return to home, which the app had initiated due to low power, when this occurred yesterday.
Any thoughts? This is potentially disastrous for the Inspre and camera/gimbal unit. This shouldn't be happening with a brand new quad!

I always regard a RTH as an emergency procedure/fall back. If I am in full control of the craft I am in a better position to navigate it safely. I would recommend you never just leave it to get to low power and allow RTH to kick in. If the low power situation was an unexpected one then you would really need to get to the bottom of why it happened. Letting it get to its own RTH trigger as a routine procedure is courting disaster, you are at the thin end of the wedge power wise...not a place you really want to be with so much money in the air.

For the same reason I always manually lower and raise the gear, I have never left it to its own decision.

Just my thoughts.

Holder of CAA PFAW
BNUS-S Certified Pilot

Reactions: Ikopta
Landing gear stuck down on takeoff mode new out the box will not go back to travel mode so I can return item because as other issues where the camera sits dead after aircraft is on help anyone

Landing gear stuck down on takeoff mode new out the box will not go back to travel mode so I can return item because as other issues where the camera sits dead after aircraft is on help anyone
Turn the Inspire over and you will be able to access the wormscrew for the landing gear ( you may have to remove the gimbal plate)
Insert a screwdriver in the screw slot and turn by hand - you will be able to get the Inspire into travel mode manually like that so you can return it for service.

Reactions: Ikopta
Turn the Inspire over and you will be able to access the wormscrew for the landing gear ( you may have to remove the gimbal plate)
Insert a screwdriver in the screw slot and turn by hand - you will be able to get the Inspire into travel mode manually like that so you can return it for service.
Thank you will do that today

I just got a inspire pro and tried 5 different sd cards and the dron is not taking any firmware updates tied the new update aswell as the old I also tired connecting straight to laptop to camera still nothing anyone help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter