Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

SFOC First application.

Reaction score
For someone new to the industry, what would be a reasonable request for a first time Restricted-Complex application?

I dont want to shoot myself in the foot by asking for too little and I'd prefer to get it the first try with as few restrictions as possible as my business prospects depend on it. I need my SFOC in place before I can work and I need as much freedom and flexibility from my SFOC as possible to be open for as much business in possible.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Largest geographical area? (lot, acre, hectare, subdivision, municipality, province)

Longest duration? (day, week, month, year)

For someone new to the industry,
If you know the regulations, exemptions, air space zoning, local laws;
have relevant permissions, risk mitigation procedures;​
ask for a Standing Certificate specified as generally as possible.
(If you don't want a limit don't specify it, and vise versa)

What area are you in?
I got a PNR SFOC in 2 days. Covers 1 year. Altitude maximum 100' in built up areas and 300' elsewhere.
Covers all of western Canada. I have been flying for quite a while though. I got help from an SFOC consultant

Really depends on your area since TC hasn't standardized it across regions. Also depends on your training too as TC wants to see that you understand airspace and have a comprhensive safety program in place.

Really depends on your area since TC hasn't standardized it across regions. Also depends on your training too as TC wants to see that you understand airspace and have a comprhensive safety program in place.
This is true, I did online training because I didn't have the time to do a ground school course and would have had to travel. Not sure exactly how much that helped my case but I am sure it did somewhat.

What area are you in?
I got a PNR SFOC in 2 days. Covers 1 year. Altitude maximum 100' in built up areas and 300' elsewhere.
Covers all of western Canada. I have been flying for quite a while though. I got help from an SFOC consultant
Hey I wanted to ask about your SFOC consultant. How long was the process and could I possibly take a look at your application form? 2 Days is quite quick from what I hear. I am located in North Vancouver and have a lot of business with Realtors & Contractig companies I have done regular photography before for. I mentioned I recently purchased a drone and they are lined up. But since I have only a few flights under my belt I am guessing they are less likely to approve a blanket SFOC like you have acquired. What online schooling did you attend?

Regards,
Briggs

Hey I wanted to ask about your SFOC consultant. How long was the process and could I possibly take a look at your application form? 2 Days is quite quick from what I hear. I am located in North Vancouver and have a lot of business with Realtors & Contractig companies I have done regular photography before for. I mentioned I recently purchased a drone and they are lined up. But since I have only a few flights under my belt I am guessing they are less likely to approve a blanket SFOC like you have acquired. What online schooling did you attend?

Regards,
Briggs
You could get an SFOC from scratch in a couple weeks I reckon. Talk to Mark at Flite Lab he can give you some advice.
I did an online UAV course at pilottraining.ca

Reactions: lrh111

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anastasiyakavitko6