Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Single remote pan/tilt on one stick

I personally think that more and more tasks will become automated on drones. There is good and bad in that as time progresses and Apps become more sophisticated (but they will never replace the skill/craft of the videographer or photographer and an 'eye' for the right shot )

I tried setting the c1/2 button to change camera axis control on the wheel and found it unproductive. Now I just use the wheel for tilt, and slew the camera with yaw. Much better coordinated and as an added bonus, I always know which direction my drone is facing/ flying. Litchi is great for flying a waypoint course automatically so you can focus solely on camera controls and still use yaw stick/ wheel.

Apart of Litchi there is UGCS. It's more for professional use and more expensive but got a lot more to offer. Ugcs.com

I haven't read all of the replies to your post to see if this has been mentioned, but I believe the AutoPilot app by AutoFlight Logic allows you to do that.

QUOTE="aerialservices, post: 128517, member: 35034"]I wonder if you can please assist me. My understanding is that unless you have a second remote with an inspire, you can't manually control camera pan/tilt using a single control stick (I may be wrong with that statement?)

With a single remote as standard, camera control is split between the yaw control on the control stick (which yaws the drone, not the gimbal) and the separate tilt control, on the gimbal control wheel (which tilts the camera up/down on the gimbal)

I want to be able to fly waypoints or use course lock and whilst the drone is being automatically controlled, I'd like to be able to have manual camera pan/tilt control available on one single control stick. (eg. The Yuneeq Typhoon H has a facility like this).

It got me thinking that it would be relatively easy to modify the inspire remote, with some basic wiring, so that a switch would switch between the left hand stick controlling vertical/yaw (as standard) and when switched instead control tilt/yaw on a single stick (whilst switched the vertical control would not be possible)

Has anyone done a remote mod like this?

Another option (and even simpler?) might be to wire in a separate joystick, mounted outside the remote casing, wired in parallel with the vertical/tilt potentiometers on the Inspire remote to achieve the same thing. This would give a third control stick for pan/tilt camera control whilst flying in waypoint or course lock mode.

It goes without saying that doing this would invalidate any warranties and would be entirely at your own risk.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if you can please assist me. My understanding is that unless you have a second remote with an inspire, you can't manually control camera pan/tilt using a single control stick (I may be wrong with that statement?)

With a single remote as standard, camera control is split between the yaw control on the control stick (which yaws the drone, not the gimbal) and the separate tilt control, on the gimbal control wheel (which tilts the camera up/down on the gimbal)

I want to be able to fly waypoints or use course lock and whilst the drone is being automatically controlled, I'd like to be able to have manual camera pan/tilt control available on one single control stick. (eg. The Yuneeq Typhoon H has a facility like this).

It got me thinking that it would be relatively easy to modify the inspire remote, with some basic wiring, so that a switch would switch between the left hand stick controlling vertical/yaw (as standard) and when switched instead control tilt/yaw on a single stick (whilst switched the vertical control would not be possible)

Another option (and even simpler?) might be to wire in a separate joystick, mounted outside the remote casing, wired in parallel with the vertical/tilt potentiometers on the Inspire remote to achieve the same thing. This would give a third control stick for pan/tilt camera control whilst flying in waypoint or course lock mode.

It goes without saying that doing this would invalidate any warranties and would be entirely at your own risk.
I wonder if you can please assist me. My understanding is that unless you have a second remote with an inspire, you can't manually control camera pan/tilt using a single control stick (I may be wrong with that statement?)

It goes without saying that doing this would invalidate any warranties and would be entirely at your own risk.

I just yaw the bird to pan and use wheel to tilt camera at the same time. Of course I have 20+ years experience RC flying. The only thing is that the camera pan is smoother than yawing the bird in the wind.

Having said that, if you're already using and auto pilot to fly a route, then just use the Go app to move the camera. If you touch and hold the screen for a second or 2, then move your finger around the screen, it moves the camera to follow in pan AND yaw. I've done that a few times and it works really well. You can only do that while on a waypoint mission, or hovering because you have to take your hand off once stick in order to touch your device screen.

The following is copied from the tutorial of the AutoFlight Logic Autopilot app. Note that when the focus strategy is set to "Joystick", the right joystick on the primary controller can be used to control the camera/gimbal.

Focus Strategy
Subject Autopilot will focus on a selected Subject.

Direction Autopilot will pitch and yaw the gimbal (if possible) and/or yaw the aircraft to match a specified angle.

Pattern Video Autopilot will pitch and yaw the gimbal (if possible) and/or yaw the aircraft to center a pattern that you define by pinching the camera screen on your iOS Device. Two fingers are required to define the pattern and you can swipe up to cancel. Smaller patterns are more difficult to track and require more processing power. For optimal results, define patterns that occupy at least 1/8 of the screen. If the image processing rate falls below 10 fps, you may need to upgrade to a more powerful device.

Joystick Autopilot will pitch and yaw the gimbal (if possible) and/or yaw the aircraft by matching movements on the Right Remote Control Joystick (similar to a slave Remote Control on an Inspire 1).

Touch Autopilot will pitch and yaw the gimbal (if possible) and/or yaw the aircraft according to where you touch the camera screen on your iOS Device. Two fingers are required to activate camera motion.

Device Autopilot will pitch and yaw the gimbal (if possible) and/or yaw the aircraft to match the direction of your iOS Device.

Passive Autopilot will let you operate the gimbal independently.

Autopilot from Autoflight Logic does exactly this If you set "focus strategy" to "joystick". I use it all the time. Just have your finger on the flight mode switch in case you get into trouble with the waypoint mission and have to take over. I've never had to do this. I also use a pilot cam so I can monitor the Inspire's path as it flies the waypoints.

Problem solved... really... it works great!

Wow!! Thanks very much, this App appears to be the answer to a lot of my requirements. I'll give it a go and see how it performs! Thanks

ok, I bought Autopilot and used it for the first time with a Phantom 3 Advanced today. Looks a really good bit of software and I can see lots of different use case scenarios.

There is only one slight problem (for me anyway). When I use the right joystick to control the camera gimbal pitch, the stick works in the reverse direction to what I'd expect. ie. Pushing the stick forward makes the camera look up and puling back on the stick makes the camera look down (this is the opposite of what i'd like).

Does anyone know if there is a way to reverse the gimbal pitch control?

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElwoodLope