Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Single remote pan/tilt on one stick

Reaction score
I wonder if you can please assist me. My understanding is that unless you have a second remote with an inspire, you can't manually control camera pan/tilt using a single control stick (I may be wrong with that statement?)

With a single remote as standard, camera control is split between the yaw control on the control stick (which yaws the drone, not the gimbal) and the separate tilt control, on the gimbal control wheel (which tilts the camera up/down on the gimbal)

I want to be able to fly waypoints or use course lock and whilst the drone is being automatically controlled, I'd like to be able to have manual camera pan/tilt control available on one single control stick. (eg. The Yuneeq Typhoon H has a facility like this).

It got me thinking that it would be relatively easy to modify the inspire remote, with some basic wiring, so that a switch would switch between the left hand stick controlling vertical/yaw (as standard) and when switched instead control tilt/yaw on a single stick (whilst switched the vertical control would not be possible)

Has anyone done a remote mod like this?

Another option (and even simpler?) might be to wire in a separate joystick, mounted outside the remote casing, wired in parallel with the vertical/tilt potentiometers on the Inspire remote to achieve the same thing. This would give a third control stick for pan/tilt camera control whilst flying in waypoint or course lock mode.

It goes without saying that doing this would invalidate any warranties and would be entirely at your own risk.

set c1 to yaw and up/own anc c2 to get back to center fpv, adjust your gimbal speed to be smooth, all on your dji go app is all on the wheel

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand your suggestion for using C1, can you please explain again in more detail? thanks

I wonder if you can please assist me. My understanding is that unless you have a second remote with an inspire, you can't manually control camera pan/tilt using a single control stick (I may be wrong with that statement?)

With a single remote as standard, camera control is split between the yaw control on the control stick (which yaws the drone, not the gimbal) and the separate tilt control, on the gimbal control wheel (which tilts the camera up/down on the gimbal)

I want to be able to fly waypoints or use course lock and whilst the drone is being automatically controlled, I'd like to be able to have manual camera pan/tilt control available on one single control stick. (eg. The Yuneeq Typhoon H has a facility like this).

It got me thinking that it would be relatively easy to modify the inspire remote, with some basic wiring, so that a switch would switch between the left hand stick controlling vertical/yaw (as standard) and when switched instead control tilt/yaw on a single stick (whilst switched the vertical control would not be possible)

Has anyone done a remote mod like this?

Another option (and even simpler?) might be to wire in a separate joystick, mounted outside the remote casing, wired in parallel with the vertical/tilt potentiometers on the Inspire remote to achieve the same thing. This would give a third control stick for pan/tilt camera control whilst flying in waypoint or course lock mode.

It goes without saying that doing this would invalidate any warranties and would be entirely at your own risk.
Either assign one of the buttons underneath the remote (C1 or C2) to toggle between yaw or tilt or simply put your finger on the screen until a blue circle appears, then move your finger and the gimbal will follow in either axis.
Alternatively, use a third party app like Autopilot or Litchi and you will achieve what you want with point of focus in conjunction with aircraft movement whilst flying waypoints.

you can set your Cam with C1 and C2 I do have C1 set as (moving tour wheel on Tx. Not your joystick) as go up and down, if i click C1 again cam moves left and rigth. if i hit C2 my cam goes to front position so i know where my bird is facing, i all on your dji go app

Either assign one of the buttons underneath the remote (C1 or C2) to toggle between yaw or tilt or
simply put your finger on the screen until a blue circle appears, then move your finger and the gimbal will follow in either axis.
Alternatively, use a third party app like Autopilot or Litchi and you will achieve what you want with point of focus in conjunction with aircraft movement whilst flying waypoints.
Thank You Ed Jim TOR

Thanks for the prompt replies, much appreciated.

I was suggesting a possible way of controlling pan AND tilt (at the same time) and using a stick control (rather than the gimbal dial)

I've used litchi's point of focus, which works well for 'automatically' steering the camera onto static objects, but I'm also looking for manual control, sometimes with moving objects.

ie. Having a similar functionality when using two remotes and using waypoints/Litchi

Eg ; what if you are in a tight situation and need to get you bird out of trouble, I will like to have my tx sticks at a moment not to thinks if Im in cam mod, easy way get a xtra remote and a friend my 2 $ cents

Good point Marg2, thanks.

That is why the extra (3rd stick) may be the best option, for situations when you are solo

Thanks for the prompt replies, much appreciated.

I was suggesting a possible way of controlling pan AND tilt (at the same time) and using a stick control (rather than the gimbal dial)

I've used litchi's point of focus, which works well for 'automatically' steering the camera onto static objects, but I'm also looking for manual control, sometimes with moving objects.

ie. Having a similar functionality when using two remotes and using waypoints/Litchi
Could you not use the Track or Focus mode on Litchi (not waypoint mode) to achieve tracking your moving target?
Set rotation to manual (since you are using an Inspire) and the gimbal will rotate rather than the aircraft and track your subject on both axis whilst you fly the aircraft

I only have two hands as well :) so this only is useful in situations when the drone is in autonomous flight, leaving the operator to frame the shot with yaw/tilt.

Several situations, but as an example; -

Filming a mountain bike going down a hillside track; Flying alongside the mountain bike in course heading mode (or flying between two preset waypoints) let's presume there is no requirement to change altitude - and whilst the drone is flying, then using yaw/tilt to frame the shot of the mountain bike.

The Editor - sorry I should have said in my OP. I don't own an inspire (yet). I'm trying to figure out which aircraft to invest in early next year.

At the moment only the Typhoon H seems to do this functionality for a solo operator (ie. have a single stick manually controlling pan/tilt on a single remote). However I'm not sure it's the brand for me, for other reasons.

I've never had much success as yet with automated tracking of fast subjects in difficult terrain.

The Editor - sorry I should have said in my OP. I don't own an inspire (yet). I'm trying to figure out which aircraft to invest in early next year.

At the moment only the Typhoon H seems to do this functionality for a solo operator (ie. have a single stick manually controlling pan/tilt on a single remote). However I'm not sure it's the brand for me, for other reasons.

I've never had much success as yet with automated tracking of fast subjects in difficult terrain.
Ahhh - OK, understood.

To be honest fast subjects in difficult terrain is never going to be much of a success using tracking algorithms- in those conditions there is no substitute for a two man setup and dedicated camera operator.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
if u don't have a drone yet and what you want, the mavic will be your best shot , the inspire is bulky and ...... more .. Mavic easy high tech and portable, agree Mark

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
A already have a drone (P3A) but am looking for something with a far better quality camera and preferably with more manual control options when filming.

(The Mavic doesn't cut it for me)

I tried setting the c1/2 button to change camera axis control on the wheel and found it unproductive. Now I just use the wheel for tilt, and slew the camera with yaw. Much better coordinated and as an added bonus, I always know which direction my drone is facing/ flying. Litchi is great for flying a waypoint course automatically so you can focus solely on camera controls and still use yaw stick/ wheel.

Thanks Pescatoral Pursuit. Don't you think though that it would be much better having the camera control on a single stick, than split between the yaw and wheel?

Thanks Pescatoral Pursuit. Don't you think though that it would be much better having the camera control on a single stick, than split between the yaw and wheel?

At first it was a nice concept, but impractical for a single pilot/ camera operator. The responsibilities have to overlap somewhere and it just happens to conveniently be at the yaw/ slew camera juncture.

I know it turns the Inspire into a glorified Phantom but that's the reality of it. (I console myself with the fact that at least there's no prop blades in the shots.)

The Inspire was designed to be operated by 2 people with an fpv camera and dual monitors/ controls. All the various apps are just automated substitute pilots and/ or cameramen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElwoodLope