Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

So my whole city is a military zone now???

Reaction score
Hey doods!

So I went out tonight to take a "before" photo of a parking lot that's getting new lights, and I got this warning from DJI:

1646021602460.png

The irony here is that our only military base is WAY South of my restricted zone (in the SE corner of the frame). So far South that it's actually out of frame. Fortunately, I had my Mavic Pro with me (NOT my first choice for night photography) and was able to shoot unimpeded. I've been flying around Abq. for almost a decade and I have never received a military zone warning, even when I was actually doing a mapping job inside a military zone!

This is very weird because, as far as I know, there is nothing "military" on the North side of town. I checked the Sectional Charts and sure enough, I'm in a "no-man's land."
1646022572195.png

Is this just a completely erroneous DJI Military Zone?

Worth noting; Unbeknownst to me, my iPad had connected to an Xfinity hot spot. I can't help but wonder if my iPad tattle-taled on me and downloaded some erroneous military zone.

Interesting...

The particulars:
Inspire 1 v2
AC FW 1.08.xx.xx+
RC FW 1.06
Go App: v3.1.1

D

Last edited:
I am assuming you are in Ukraine . I pray for you and your family’s safety be safe and find a safe shelter is there is such a thing stay in touch here
LOL...that's funny. Sorry, I forgot to include my location, which is Abq. NM. I've amended my original post.

D

A bummer, but not uncommon. I have had a number of instances where the DJI Geo-fencing is not in-sync with the FAA maps or LAANC. And Airmap ends up being correct, and DJI is off. Totally frustrating. I have written many times that DJI needs to dump the geo-fencing stuff for those of us who are Part 107 commercial pilots. I understand the importance of protecting the NAS, but for those of us who are pros and have projects, we KNOW the rules and do not mess with them. The entire reason for the extensive Part 107 cert process is to make sure all UAS pilots understand and respect the NAS and where and when we can fly. We do not want any accidents or conflicts with other aircraft AND we do not want to ever risk revocation of our Part 107 cert. DJI needs to create a process where pros can get the geo-fencing disabled like they have for law enforcement users. The bottomline is that we know what we are doing - let us fly our purchased equipment under FAA rules.

Hey doods!

So I went out tonight to take a "before" photo of a parking lot that's getting new lights, and I got this warning from DJI:

View attachment 32219

The irony here is that our only military base is WAY South of my restricted zone (in the SE corner of the frame). So far South that it's actually out of frame. Fortunately, I had my Mavic Pro with me (NOT my first choice for night photography) and was able to shoot unimpeded. I've been flying around Abq. for almost a decade and I have never received a military zone warning, even when I was actually doing a mapping job inside a military zone!

This is very weird because, as far as I know, there is nothing "military" on the North side of town. I checked the Sectional Charts and sure enough, I'm in a "no-man's land."
View attachment 32220

Is this just a completely erroneous DJI Military Zone?

Worth noting; Unbeknownst to me, my iPad had connected to an Xfinity hot spot. I can't help but wonder if my iPad tattle-taled on me and downloaded some erroneous military zone.

Interesting...

The particulars:
Inspire 1 v2
AC FW 1.08.xx.xx+
RC FW 1.06
Go App: v3.1.1

I'm from Philadelphia, I'm going through the same thing. My normal flight locations are saying I'm in a restricted area. The Philadelphia National Airport is 8 miles away, and the nearest military base is located in New Jersey. Since I'd installed the new updates for my Mavic Air 2 and Mavic mini 2. I'm no longer able to fly anywhere in the city.

One of the ironies of these DJI-enforced NFZ's is that they don't take everything into consideration. Here's our local AMA park - inside Class D airspace and has been for decades.

1646082749373.png

To date, I haven't had any problems flying here. But yet our Balloon Fiesta Park is somehow a "Military Zone."

THIS is why I always keep at least one hacked drone with me at all times. And until the the powers that be get their proverbial "feces" together, I will continue to do so.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: S White

Donnie, as you well know, maybe more than anyone, you can never, ever, ever let the iPad connect to WiFi. Never, ever. You have to be as vigilant about this as a special ops guy in a war zone... LOL Now, that said, I've had almost the exact same thing happen... Maddening. Anyway, you already know. Just stay vigilant. Peace.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Donnie, as you well know, maybe more than anyone, you can never, ever, ever let the iPad connect to WiFi. Never, ever. You have to be as vigilant about this as a special ops guy in a war zone... LOL

LOL...I hear ya. But worth noting, I DO have to connect it to cache maps. But I do that before connecting to the drone. Then I close the app, then turn off WiFi, and then go fly my missions with cached maps. That said, 99% of the time I am away from WiFi. It was really freaky that it connected to Xfinity. I believe there's a setting to tell it NOT to "connect automatically." I'm going to audit all 4 of my iPads and make sure Xfinity hot spots are black listed.

Now, that said, I've had almost the exact same thing happen... Maddening. Anyway, you already know. Just stay vigilant. Peace.
Will do. Thanx for the good advice.

Peace out!

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccalegalfirm