Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stadium no fly zone

Reaction score
Website
www.skylab-imaging.com
I was going to fly the other day and noticed a no fly zone over century like k stadium...now the app can't utilize temp flight restrictions has its not connected to the internet.

Did dji decide to put no fly zones over stadiums? My app obviously answers this for me but do yang of you have nfz over your local stadium(s)

I was going to fly the other day and noticed a no fly zone over century like k stadium...now the app can't utilize temp flight restrictions has its not connected to the internet.

Did dji decide to put no fly zones over stadiums? My app obviously answers this for me but do yang of you have nfz over your local stadium(s)
I haven't checked but..... Are you sure it is not part of the Mode C veil that extends out from Seattle International to 30nm?

if you look at their online map showing NFZ i believe they are marked something like special area or something different from how airports are marked. Forget the address offhand. Im not near one nor am i running current firmware with these new restrictions so i cant say how they affect flying ability in those zones.

I haven't checked but..... Are you sure it is not part of the Mode C veil that extends out from Seattle International to 30nm?

Pretty sure. I didnt dive into it too much as it wasn't in my mission plan. When I looked at it there was the boeing field one and century link that had what looked like it's own nfz...

Pretty sure. I didnt dive into it too much as it wasn't in my mission plan. When I looked at it there was the boeing field one and century link that had what looked like it's own nfz...
listed as a special area but in typical dji fashion there is no documentation telling you what the differences are between the NFZ, special area and warning area locations. seems unlikely they would be different colors if flight behavior was the same in all three areas, who knows.
No Fly Zones | DJI

listed as a special area but in typical dji fashion there is no documentation telling you what the differences are between the NFZ, special area and warning area locations. seems unlikely they would be different colors if flight behavior was the same in all three areas, who knows.
No Fly Zones | DJI

Maybe on their site...on the GO app Safeco and Clink are both marked NFZ. The app even warned me about approaching the NFZ and to fly carefully

if i were you i would try to fly through it. thats the only way youre gonna know, dji will never talk, lol! I remember reading another thread about this but i forget the details. I think he was able to fly through it and it slowed him down or something, where a normal airport NFZ is like hitting a wall, the aircraft will stop and not go past that point. the stadium special zones might just be the same color in the app cause their programmers are lazy and you might be able to fly through it but its warning you since there is a possibility if something is happening that day that its a NFZ, the app isnt gonna be smart enough to know and adjust accordingly, so it gives a warning all the time. it would be pretty lame if they blocked it full time, but the only way youre going to find out is to try it. So after you do please report back and let us know what you found out. im sure others are interested to know for sure as well, thanks.

if i were you i would try to fly through it. thats the only way youre gonna know, dji will never talk, lol! I remember reading another thread about this but i forget the details. I think he was able to fly through it and it slowed him down or something, where a normal airport NFZ is like hitting a wall, the aircraft will stop and not go past that point. the stadium special zones might just be the same color in the app cause their programmers are lazy and you might be able to fly through it but its warning you since there is a possibility if something is happening that day that its a NFZ, the app isnt gonna be smart enough to know and adjust accordingly, so it gives a warning all the time. it would be pretty lame if they blocked it full time, but the only way youre going to find out is to try it. So after you do please report back and let us know what you found out. im sure others are interested to know for sure as well, thanks.

Sorry I'm not gonna be the test subject for that....not in downtown seattle anyway.

I already have my shots of the stadium prior to these nfz's so I have no real reason to fly there anyway

Sorry I'm not gonna be the test subject for that....not in downtown seattle anyway.

I already have my shots of the stadium prior to these nfz's so I have no real reason to fly there anyway
well then why are you worried about it? LOL!

anyway its not illegal to fly over stadiums, unless theres an event happening at the time so theres zero risk of legal trouble unless your city has passed specific ordinances regarding it, some cities pass laws regarding drones that dont apply in the rest of the country so you may want to check to be sure. There also zero risk of anything else, if its a NFZ the inspire will hit an invisible wall and stop moving forward, it wont crash or anything. if its just a warning zone you will be able to fly into it, a warning will display and top speed may or may not be limited. like i said the only way youre gonna find out the answer is to try it.

well then why are you worried about it? LOL!

anyway its not illegal to fly over stadiums, unless theres an event happening at the time so theres zero risk of legal trouble unless your city has passed specific ordinances regarding it, some cities pass laws regarding drones that dont apply in the rest of the country so you may want to check to be sure. There also zero risk of anything else, if its a NFZ the inspire will hit an invisible wall and stop moving forward, it wont crash or anything. if its just a warning zone you will be able to fly into it, a warning will display and top speed may or may not be limited. like i said the only way youre gonna find out the answer is to try it.

I never said I was worried about it...I said I noticed it.

I know it's not illegal to fly over stadiums, that's why I asked why there was a nfz over these 2.

Oh, sorry. well its illegal to fly over stadiums when theres an event going on, so thats why they have a NFZ over them. At any rate it shouldnt be your standard NFZ, as its marked differently on their web page map and its perfectly legal to fly over them when there are no events happening but there is zero documentation about the differences of the 3 zones and how they affect flight differently if at all, so we will never know till someone tries to fly in one and reports back with their results. Im assuming there is a difference in affected flight behavior in/around these special and warning zones compared to original NFZ because otherwise theres no reasons to mark them on the map differently.

Yeah, I'm aware of the regs for stadiums....Again, why I asked why they are marked nfz on the GO app. Your reading a lot into this.

I just figured that it was easier for them to make it a nfz than a tfr (restricting during events) this would mean they'd have to source out the events for every stadium and program that into their app (would always need updating) seems easier to just put a nfz over it.

Yeah, I'm aware of the regs for stadiums....Again, why I asked why they are marked nfz on the GO app. Your reading a lot into this.

I just figured that it was easier for them to make it a nfz than a tfr (restricting during events) this would mean they'd have to source out the events for every stadium and program that into their app (would always need updating) seems easier to just put a nfz over it.

im not reading anything into it, im answering your question. youre exactly right, the app doesnt know when theres and event and even if they did lots of people fly without internet connection anyway so it wouldnt matter. Im assuming its handled differently than your standard NFZ since its marked differently on the map and perfectly legal to fly there 99% of the time, we will never know till someone tries it and shares results though. There are no major stadiums within 500 miles of me however, and i dont run newest firmware versions with these new restrictions anyway or id go try it myself. :D

Interesting topic... I was trying to do some filming with the inspire just a few days ago... I'm in Pittsburgh.. I wanted to get a sunrise shot from the mountain where the incline climbs up.. Inspire wouldn't even start let alone take off... I kept the inspire on and drove around to verify what was the no fly zone... both Hienz Field (football) and PNC Park (baseball) are designated NFZ's so no flying within .6 of a mile from their centers at all times... which completely eliminates Inspires use for anything in the city.. very very frustrating..

Interesting topic... I was trying to do some filming with the inspire just a few days ago... I'm in Pittsburgh.. I wanted to get a sunrise shot from the mountain where the incline climbs up.. Inspire wouldn't even start let alone take off... I kept the inspire on and drove around to verify what was the no fly zone... both Hienz Field (football) and PNC Park (baseball) are designated NFZ's so no flying within .6 of a mile from their centers at all times... which completely eliminates Inspires use for anything in the city.. very very frustrating..

Yeah, I figured as much with the big red circle on the GO map. That's a pretty big bummer too cause they aren't technically nfz's

DJI cannot control all plannings for all stadiums over the world! That would be impossible! better then to put them in a NFZ. And for Us in Europe (and special for me in Belgium) that's no problem because we are not allowed to fly in the cities. You will need to become a professional and then again you need permission from cityhall and here in Belgium for 99% they always say NO. Also if they say YES (but ...) you will only be permitted until 90m high and not above places with a lot of people.
The organisation around TOMORROWLAND was planning to make some recordings of their efent with a Drone. They were not allowed because the event is held in Antwerpen and there flying a drone is not allowed (because of the harbor in ANtwerpen). This is also the way for all big cities in Belgium (Gent, Brussel, Brugge, etc ...)
For the moment an amateur is only allowed to fly in his own back garden (if the neighbour has no privacy complains) and on a RC Airfield and only max 30m high (new law comming here)

That's all well and good, but this is America.

DJI cannot control all plannings for all stadiums over the world! That would be impossible! better then to put them in a NFZ. And for Us in Europe (and special for me in Belgium) that's no problem because we are not allowed to fly in the cities. You will need to become a professional and then again you need permission from cityhall and here in Belgium for 99% they always say NO. Also if they say YES (but ...) you will only be permitted until 90m high and not above places with a lot of people.
The organisation around TOMORROWLAND was planning to make some recordings of their efent with a Drone. They were not allowed because the event is held in Antwerpen and there flying a drone is not allowed (because of the harbor in ANtwerpen). This is also the way for all big cities in Belgium (Gent, Brussel, Brugge, etc ...)
For the moment an amateur is only allowed to fly in his own back garden (if the neighbour has no privacy complains) and on a RC Airfield and only max 30m high (new law comming here)

I have that problem in St. Louis. It is making it nearly impossible for me to do a paid job. Very upsetting! I have permission from all agencies, including the FAA, but my Inspire won't fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop