Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stucked Allen screw of center frame, anyone encountered this before? Any suggestion?

Reaction score
IMG_8285.JPG IMG_8286.JPG The servo of my Inspire 1 center frame is gone, so I try to change it. The two Allen screws is heavily loctited and I managed to get one of the screws out but no luck with the other one. Also, stripped its allen head pretty good.... And the screw is indented in a groove (what a design!!) so I can't use a vise grip to get it out.... Anyone encountered this before? Please help!

I have these, I tried them a few time without success, the screw just will not budge, may be I need to heat up the screw to loosen the loctite and try them again...

View attachment 16981 View attachment 16982 The servo of my Inspire 1 center frame is gone, so I try to change it. The two Allen screws is heavily loctited and I managed to get one of the screws out but no luck with the other one. Also, stripped its allen head pretty good.... And the screw is indented in a groove (what a design!!) so I can't use a vise grip to get it out.... Anyone encountered this before? Please help!

If all else fails I suggest you try drilling to remove the screw head and then tap out the pin. You will obviously then have to buy a new pin and screws from somewhere.

Good luck

You could also try and put some tight fitting wrench in there along with some slow-set JB Weld and let it dry overnight or longer. A bit of Break-Free lube applied to the underside with a toothpick too. Then you might be able to unscrew it. If you still need the screw, saw it off the top and cut a slot and re-use it.

Heat also works with Loctite, but it sometimes takes a lot of it and a soldering iron might work but the heat often dissipates in the larger area. The Germans use some Loctite that is like glass and it takes MAPP gas to soften it up which also melts the paint and nearby plastic (**** BMWs!).

Reactions: inspiredbyinspire
I have found some of Dji's bolts have poor fitments with Allen keys so they are easy to strip. I have top notch pricey allen key sets i have used for years that are a rattling good fit on some of my i1 bolts but still perfect on others. When i changed my motor i wondered if the bolts were imperial the fit on the arm bolts was so poor.

Sometimes when an allen bolt strips the first port of call for me is to use a similar sized torx bit and that can work well if you tap in it the recess.

Also left handed drill bits work well and of course extractors as others have mentioned. Extractors always work better on shallow bolts if you drill them first though so you have a good bite.

I would get a torx bit on a socket set and tap it in and see if it bites enough first.

Good luck :)

@giumick Yeah, the screw of DJI Inspire 1 are not of good quality, they are soft and stripped way too easily, I will try tapping a torx bit, just has to be careful not hammer too hard on it and put too much pressure on the bird...

@giumick Yeah, the screw of DJI Inspire 1 are not of good quality, they are soft and stripped way too easily, I will try tapping a torx bit, just has to be careful not hammer too hard on it and put too much pressure on the bird...

Good luck pal, If your lucky it will bring it loose. Just keep steady pressure downward on the bolt as you turn and try not to lean it side to side to achieve as much bite as possible.

Hi guys, finally got it out using a set of extractors that I got from Japan! I heated the screw using a torch for a few minutes before I try the extractor. Thank you for all the help!

Reactions: giumick
Hi guys, finally got it out using a set of extractors that I got from Japan! I heated the screw using a torch for a few minutes before I try the extractor. Thank you for all the help!

Glad you got it sorted pal, It must of really been on tight for such a effort been needed. That method is usually used on cars and heavy machinery that corrodes not plastic drones haha

Glad you got it sorted pal, It must of really been on tight for such a effort been needed. That method is usually used on cars and heavy machinery that corrodes not plastic drones haha

Yes, the loctite is super tight, I have tried the soldering rod as well but decided to use a small torch instead. The center frame are mostly aluminum, so they are fine... ; )

I am curious as to why you are taking that apart? Total replacement?

Hi SanCap,
My servo is gone, making a annoying humming sound and the Inspire 1 will not raise the gear or get in the travel mode. So I decided to take the center frame apart without tearing down the whole bird (the servo are part of center frame, to exchange the entire center frame, you need to tear down the entire Inspire 1, I am taking a short cut!)

Attachments

• IMG_8291.JPG
    IMG_8291.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: SanCap
Glad it came apart. Now let us know if the fix works.
Hi Casey53,
Yes, I fixed the issue, the landing gear now works perfectly! While looking for parts replacement, I also found an Inspire 1 & 2 parts suppliers that offer at very attractive price. Guess it pays to do your own repair! Ha Ha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela