Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tariff on Chinese goods

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this would impact US prices of DJI products. The list of goods subject to tariff will be announced in a few days.

Yup! You can bet the soon to be released, Mavic Pro 2 price just went up!

Inasmuch as there are no American companies producincg "dones" there are no domestic industries to protect. Logic would suggest that DJI stuff will not be effected. However, it's all very complicated and DJI could raise their prices just to take advantage of the situation.

I agree it’s a wait and see. Good news for those in the drone business, the increases can be passed on. For the hobbyist, well we’ve picked an expensive sport. Doubt if I’m going to give it up, DJI makes a great little bird.

Would be nice if DJI would produce some of their product in North America! Not just service. But North America has fallen so far behind China in the drone industry. Too bad. I guess this is why Wal-Mart does so well. We all want cheap!

I've witnessed both new and refurbed mavic prices falling as noted by several bloggers so it'll be interesting to see if they do an about face now. It might be just the stimulus and timing for a US based

tech co to launch a prosumer quality drone should tariffs from trade war adversely impact drone prices. I do agree with flyover that dji makes some good products. I've been wanting a mavic pro for

shot scouting and close quarter instances in lieu of putting up the big bird. All said to say... I'll wait.

Reactions: Baker
I've witnessed both new and refurbed mavic prices falling as noted by several bloggers so it'll be interesting to see if they do an about face now. It might be just the stimulus and timing for a US based

tech co to launch a prosumer quality drone should tariffs from trade war adversely impact drone prices. I do agree with flyover that dji makes some good products. I've been wanting a mavic pro for

shot scouting and close quarter instances in lieu of putting up the big bird. All said to say... I'll wait.
It's so hard to wait, I waited to get the Inspire 1 Pro, then the 2 came out. I got the Mavic Platinum, now the 2 is coming out. Just like phones!! I do like them both.

Reactions: madgadget
Don't remind me how hard it is to wait.. Coincidentally I waited for the pro as well, fortunately I don't rely on my craft for income so having the latest is not mission critical.

Autel is an American based company and no doubt waiting in the wings. It would indeed be nice to see some competition in the arena and this may well be what it takes to give US based companies a chance to catch up and compete with the slave labor intensive China based companies. Do all the best toys have to come from China.....did not use to be that way, what happened? Think about it, could tariffs level the playing field?

Last edited:
Autel is an American based company and no doubt waiting in the wings. It would indeed be nice to see some competition in the arena and this may well be what it takes to give US based companies a chance to catch up and compete with the slave labor intensive China based companies. Do all the best toys have to come from China.....did not use to be that way, what happened? Think about it, could tariffs level the playing field?
Autel Robotics is a Chinese company with an office in the USA like the rest. Autel Robotis USA is the stateside branch. They also produce some good automotive scanners in another branch of Autel.

Autel is based on Chinese parts, and various tech publications indicate a major part of the Autel production delay is DJI's dominance over the electronic circuit manufactures and having priority to the electronics.

Autel is based on Chinese parts, and various tech publications indicate a major part of the Autel production delay is DJI's dominance over the electronic circuit manufactures and having priority to the electronics.
I think it has a lot more to do with the lawsuits they are in with DJI for patent violations. I believe that is what killed the X-Sta series. They currently have zero drones for sale and haven't for some time now. The new EVO seems to still be vaporware. They had a shot but it seems it has slipped through their fingers.

Pending law suits are also a variable although not major delaying variable for Chinese industry. Another variable is marketing; DJI releases product not when newly completed, more of a marketing tool to retain market focus or more of a marketing method to damage sales of smaller company.

DJI timed releases with competitive products, and several other factors... DJI works aggressively to control the market in all fashion. Law suits, real or fabricated hold up the competitive company minimally. Strong market control in an ungoverened system where little attention is given to copy right or patent law... just look how Chinese companies can freely copy about any product... minimal reinforcement or legal action is taken or given attention.

By controlling electronic parts in the Chinese manufacturing industry has clearly been performed by DJI... without electronics it’s practically impossible for competitors to produce or make product on schedule. The release of the Mavic 2 isn’t delayed due to development... they have several products in stage. After the CES2018, the EVO was one of the discused new releases... suddenly leaks on the Mavic 2 are running rampant. When the Evo was delayed, the Mavic 2 was delayed. The timing of the Altel EVO and the release of the Mavic 2 will be close together... with intent to impact the sales of EVO.

Last edited:
There is a USA drone maker that has tech far above DJI, Skydio. Designed by some MIT people and hopefully their software/firmware/service will be better too. Video intro is here: Skydio — Videos

It has very limited distance-to-subject range and mostly selfie for now, but shows promise. It has 13 cameras and flying 4 seconds ahead in its artificial intelligence to avoid and go around or through obstacles. Price is $2,500 though.

I'm really tired of DJI and their rush to market with gear that needs to be refined or doesn't work out of the box as it should. Slow to update their always buggy software/firmware. Poor quality control too. "Get the money and run!" and "Coming soon" in a year...maybe.

Reactions: Baker
There is a USA drone maker that has tech far above DJI, Skydio. Designed by some MIT people and hopefully their software/firmware/service will be better too. Video intro is here: Skydio — Videos

It has very limited distance-to-subject range and mostly selfie for now, but shows promise. It has 13 cameras and flying 4 seconds ahead in its artificial intelligence to avoid and go around or through obstacles. Price is $2,500 though.

I'm really tired of DJI and their rush to market with gear that needs to be refined or doesn't work out of the box as it should. Slow to update their always buggy software/firmware. Poor quality control too. "Get the money and run!" and "Coming soon" in a year...maybe.
I’ve read about the Skydio, very impressive technology. Hopefully they get off the ground and sales take off. It’s targeted at the consumer market primarily and at $2500 it’s going to be a uphill climb.

Another small company that looks promising is VantageRobotics, making a product called Snap.

This is the first & only drone to receive FAA PT107 waiver to fly over crowds. Mainly due to it’s high safety level. This is targeted at the commercial market for professionals & media with a second focus to consumer. Their 1st generation has many new technologies & innovative designs.

CNN Received Milestone Drone Approval to Fly Over People

Get Snap! | Vantage Robotics

The proposed list of goods to be subjected to tariffs is now available. The following are included:

88022000 - Airplanes and other powered aircraft, nesoi, with an unladen weight not over 2,000 kg.
88031000/2000/3000 - Parts of airplanes and other aircraft
90079140 - Parts for cinematographic cameras
90079180 - Accessories for cinematographic cameras
90154040 - Electrical photogrammetrical surveying instruments and appliances

reference: https://assets.documentcloud.org/do...of-the-United-States-Trade-Representative.pdf

Last edited:
Pending law suits are also a variable although not major delaying variable for Chinese industry. Another variable is marketing; DJI releases product not when newly completed, more of a marketing tool to retain market focus or more of a marketing method to damage sales of smaller company.

DJI timed releases with competitive products, and several other factors... DJI works aggressively to control the market in all fashion. Law suits, real or fabricated hold up the competitive company minimally. Strong market control in an ungoverened system where little attention is given to copy right or patent law... just look how Chinese companies can freely copy about any product... minimal reinforcement or legal action is taken or given attention.

By controlling electronic parts in the Chinese manufacturing industry has clearly been performed by DJI... without electronics it’s practically impossible for competitors to produce or make product on schedule. The release of the Mavic 2 isn’t delayed due to development... they have several products in stage. After the CES2018, the EVO was one of the discused new releases... suddenly leaks on the Mavic 2 are running rampant. When the Evo was delayed, the Mavic 2 was delayed. The timing of the Altel EVO and the release of the Mavic 2 will be close together... with intent to impact the sales of EVO.

Autel is Chinese, and what your describing is exactly what happed to DJI with GoPro. GoPro had the Sony sensor and Ambarella A9 SOC tied up for years and no one could buy them, not DJI or anyone else making action cameras, it took years before DJI and others were able to get their hands on these and only could when they were of sufficient size.

This is not due to DJI being Chinese it’s what happens when the largest companies tie up all stock, Apple do the same with large amount of the phone industry too, even Samsung have seen issues with Apple purchasing components years in advance, even tying up all flights for freight.

This is not specific to a company being Chinese it’s just what happens, Autel plaid the hype game and lost, announcing a product months early it’s just crazy, 3DR and others all have done the same to major bad ending.

The only way to play with the big boys is to Announce and take pre orders on the day with delivery with in 45 days latest, that’s how they would have got some good sales but announcing vapourware with the headline of 1” that was never going to happen will get them nowhere.

The Mavic 2 was not ever around the corner and the rumours were just the twitter guy as usual.

Chinese, US or British All will do what it takes to bury the competition, it’s capitalism.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stijn_vandenbussche@hotma