Topping up batteries Y/N

Reaction score
If my batteries have been sitting for 3-4 days is it ok to top them up before flight?

Providing I turn the battery "ON" before plugging it in this will just top up as opposed to just plugging it in it will discharge it first.

I have also just read that after a flying I should not charge them again until the day or day before I want them.

What I have done up to now is charge them after getting home from a days shoot, so they were always ready.

Your thoughts
Glen

You can safely 'top off' the batteries before flight as long as you say you turn the battery on first if it is over 95% charged already otherwise it will not go into charging mode.

I would never leave fully charged batteries for longer than a day (two at most). My practice is to fly, allow the packs to cool, charge to 50%/3.86v per cell and leave them like that at storage charge until I am ready to fly again. I then only have to charge from 50% which is faster than from empty (20%) and I am treating the packs the best I possibly can.

Reactions: sirnikolas and Glen
I personally had 7 batteries in use so it could be several days or a week between the last flight and charge and using them. I was seeing a starting charge of 98-99%. For my last flight session I did to as you suggest and topped up 4 batteries to full. I started the flights with 100% and managed to get 2-4 minutes extra flight time (TB47 and TB48 respectively).

I would not leave any battery discharged after flight. The recommended storage condition is around 50% (2 LEDs lit on battery test). Such batteries can be stored this way indefinitely and be quickly fully charge the evening before use. I have subsequently drained 3 batteries down to 50% until I actually need them.

Reactions: Glen

How dou you charge them to 50%? Do you physical watch until two light bars are showing then shut it of, of is there some magic way to stop at 50? I talking about with a standard charger.

How dou you charge them to 50%? Do you physical watch until two light bars are showing then shut it of, of is there some magic way to stop at 50? I talking about with a standard charger.
You have to monitor the charging (with any charger). You are looking for 1 steady and 1 flashing LED (40-50%) on the battery and no buttons pushed. Stop charging when you see 2 steady LEDs (50-60%). You can check the actual charge by momentarily pressing the battery power button to see either 2 steady LEDs (37.5-50%) and 2 steady and one flashing (50-62.5%). It does not need to be precise. You can double check by powering up in the I1 and checking on Pilot App.

Alternatively, to can discharge from a higher charge down to 50% in the I1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glen
Ok so I have been incorrect, by charging and leaving them for more than two days.

Thanks for your sound advice
Glen :-(

Reactions: Scotflieger