Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Topping up batteries Y/N

Reaction score
If my batteries have been sitting for 3-4 days is it ok to top them up before flight?

Providing I turn the battery "ON" before plugging it in this will just top up as opposed to just plugging it in it will discharge it first.

I have also just read that after a flying I should not charge them again until the day or day before I want them.

What I have done up to now is charge them after getting home from a days shoot, so they were always ready.

Your thoughts
Glen :)

You can safely 'top off' the batteries before flight as long as you say you turn the battery on first if it is over 95% charged already otherwise it will not go into charging mode.

I would never leave fully charged batteries for longer than a day (two at most). My practice is to fly, allow the packs to cool, charge to 50%/3.86v per cell and leave them like that at storage charge until I am ready to fly again. I then only have to charge from 50% which is faster than from empty (20%) and I am treating the packs the best I possibly can.

Reactions: sirnikolas and Glen
If my batteries have been sitting for 3-4 days is it ok to top them up before flight?
Providing I turn the battery "ON" before plugging it in this will just top up as opposed to just plugging it in it will discharge it first.
I have also just read that after a flying I should not charge them again until the day or day before I want them.
What I have done up to now is charge them after getting home from a days shoot, so they were always ready.
I personally had 7 batteries in use so it could be several days or a week between the last flight and charge and using them. I was seeing a starting charge of 98-99%. For my last flight session I did to as you suggest and topped up 4 batteries to full. I started the flights with 100% and managed to get 2-4 minutes extra flight time (TB47 and TB48 respectively).

I would not leave any battery discharged after flight. The recommended storage condition is around 50% (2 LEDs lit on battery test). Such batteries can be stored this way indefinitely and be quickly fully charge the evening before use. I have subsequently drained 3 batteries down to 50% until I actually need them.

Reactions: Glen
You can safely 'top off' the batteries before flight as long as you say you turn the battery on first if it is over 95% charged already otherwise it will not go into charging mode.

I would never leave fully charged batteries for longer than a day (two at most). My practice is to fly, allow the packs to cool, charge to 50%/3.86v per cell and leave them like that at storage charge until I am ready to fly again. I then only have to charge from 50% which is faster than from empty (20%) and I am treating the packs the best I possibly can.

How dou you charge them to 50%? Do you physical watch until two light bars are showing then shut it of, of is there some magic way to stop at 50? I talking about with a standard charger.

How dou you charge them to 50%? Do you physical watch until two light bars are showing then shut it of, of is there some magic way to stop at 50? I talking about with a standard charger.
You have to monitor the charging (with any charger). You are looking for 1 steady and 1 flashing LED (40-50%) on the battery and no buttons pushed. Stop charging when you see 2 steady LEDs (50-60%). You can check the actual charge by momentarily pressing the battery power button to see either 2 steady LEDs (37.5-50%) and 2 steady and one flashing (50-62.5%). It does not need to be precise. You can double check by powering up in the I1 and checking on Pilot App.

Alternatively, to can discharge from a higher charge down to 50% in the I1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glen
Ok so I have been incorrect, by charging and leaving them for more than two days.

Thanks for your sound advice
Glen :-(

Reactions: Scotflieger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips