Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UAV Operational Costs

Reaction score
Hello all. Recently got involved in drone applications and found this great explanatory forum.

I'm trying to analyze the opportunity of integrating drones in a professional environment. Considering the initial investment over 50k, including the drone, insurance, software and personnel training, which other operational costs should be considered when deploying a drone in order to get the solutions payback? What I mean are not the costs of acquiring the system but the costs of actually deploying it, for example, team salary, transportation (gas) or maintenance.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all. Recently got involved in drone applications and found this great explanatory forum.

I'm trying to analyze the opportunity of integrating drones in a professional environment. Considering the initial investment over 50k, including the drone, insurance, software and personnel training, which other operational costs should be considered when deploying a drone in order to get the solutions payback? What I mean are not the costs of acquiring the system but the costs of actually deploying it, for example, team salary, transportation (gas) or maintenance.

Thanks in advance!
What do you actually want to do with your UAV? There are many different applications for UAV use and they will have a totally different bearing on ongoing costs.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Thanks in advance!

If you want a serious answer you are going to have to narrow things down a lot more. Are you talking about commercial operations? What type of industry? What type of missions? Those are all interconnected along with the rest of what you mentioned above. What training is going to be provided in-house vs those that will be contracted out? What about all your compliance paperwork (AFM for each aircraft, operations manual, maintenance program, etc.)?

It's for visual inspections and mapping in OH power lines. I considered all those factors in the initial investment, but a flight is a flight, doesn't matter if it's above a bridge or a building - or so I thought. To my understanding, operational costs are the least of the problems in UAV flights as it comes mostly from the equipment itself and its maintenance. Maybe software processing too?

It's for visual inspections and mapping in OH power lines. I considered all those factors in the initial investment, but a flight is a flight, doesn't matter if it's above a bridge or a building - or so I thought. To my understanding, operational costs are the least of the problems in UAV flights as it comes mostly from the equipment itself and its maintenance. Maybe software processing too?
Mapping is completely different from inspections and requires different flight patterns, software and usually far more batteries!

Additionally, you do not say what country you will be operating in as this will have a bearing on costs regarding training and certification.

Reactions: RMartin
Seems to me you almost answer your own question(s)? But one of the items mentioned that can bite you in the butt is sufficient batteries to do the job. Plus, if performing critical jobs sufficient backup (two of everything) to preclude a failure. But c'mon, these are obvius.

Mapping is completely different from inspections and requires different flight patterns, software and usually far more batteries!

Additionally, you do not say what country you will be operating in as this will have a bearing on costs regarding training and certification.

Nailed it.

It's for visual inspections and mapping in OH power lines.

How long of a corridor? If you're doing 1/4 mile sections, not a big deal. But my work with power companies has involved very long corridors up to 14 miles long. I find the most efficient number of batteries to have is 10, which assumes you have an industrial-grade battery charger in your vehicle. There are two ways to go. I went the techy route and built my own. But my partner went the converter route and had a car stereo place install a high amperage charger that's wired directly to the car's battery. I think he spent about $2K all tolled.

I considered all those factors in the initial investment, but a flight is a flight, doesn't matter if it's above a bridge or a building - or so I thought.

If you're shooting video and delivering a finished product which might include titles, graphics (like arrows pointing to issues, etc.), digital zooming, etc., then you're going to need a video work station and software. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, which costs me about $30/month for the entire suite. This is a discounted price for educators. I think it's like $50/month without the discount.

You will also need to invest in an editing machine, which is essentially like a gaming machine. My editor is a dual Xeon monster with 132GB of ECC RAM and a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GPU.

1583327306820.png

To my understanding, operational costs are the least of the problems in UAV flights as it comes mostly from the equipment itself and its maintenance. Maybe software processing too?

Yes, no, yes.

Obviously you have your initial investment in your UAV's, cases, etc.

Provided you don't crash, maintenance costs are nil. The "cost," if you, will is your time and diligence, which mostly involves good battery maintenance and storage.

If you're mapping, that's a whole other ball game and investment package. How far you wanna go down the rabbit hole? There's a HUGE difference between simple orthophotos vs actual architectural-grade "maps" (which is what we do). The latter requires a ton more work, a larger initial investment and greater operational costs. And, as I already pointed out, if you're presenting videos to clients, you will DEFINITELY need an editing station.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:

Getting the contracts with the power companies would be the hardest part unless you or your brotherinlaw are in charge of those programs. You can have all the equipment in the world but without the contracts you are piX4d%$#ing in the wind. You are not the first person to think of this. Lots of companies already have dedicated in-house or service providers set up. Not to say that all companies are set up but most have a process in the works. Time to get to work!!

Reactions: hoverkat92
Don't forget about the actual battery cost. I never get more than 1/3 the life DJI says. Factor that in too.. Also, life of drone... be realistic.

Add in educating yourself including time needed to research issues and problems. I just spent in excess of 30 hours trying to solve a DJI issue.

Don't forget the time to get DJI unlocks and FAA approvals

Reactions: The Warrik
SanCap touches on a very important part of this drone thing. The competition is brutal out there now. Companies are not just gonna give you a multi-thousand dollar contract just because. Most are investing in drones and training they're own technicians to do the work. As mentioned, mapping requires additional equipment, training and customers. Because your a start up the first question asked is "What experience do you have?" Also, think of Batteries for the Inspire 1 and 2. Now that they are discontinued, new batteries a few and far between. I ordered 5 TB48's only to receive notice that my order had been cancelled a month later because they couldn't fill the order. Bought a used Inspire 1 Pro with 5 TB48's and a load of extra's for a great price. Along with my inspire 1 V1, so I'm good on batteries. Buying a used drone I would suggest that you look at the batteries closely. Number of charges, area of operation (hot vs cold environment), condition (swelling, obvious deformities). I have bought batteries on eBay and Amazon only to experience swelling and charging issues well after the purchase.

Good Luck.

Reactions: SanCap

Thanks in advance!

Coming back to the original question, depending upon the aircraft you operate and the software you use to process your data, your operating cost will vary. My I1v2 cost me annually about $70.00 for an annual inspection and the software maintenance cost runs about $5000.00 annually. The FireFly Pro has not been to its first annual maintenance visit to the factory which is going to cost considerably more due to shipping (UPS Ground). My estimates at this point with a firm maintenance check figure is roughly $400.00 annually and then the additional software maintenance cost.

Of course, your cost will depend upon your setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669