Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Upgrade Firmware or leave well enough alone?

I'm now running V01.09.01.30 on X5R. After calibrations (IMU and Compass) but no radio re-link, I flew down a battery close-range to make sure things were going to be ok. No problems other than intermittent GPS signal as I was flying in a forest. Went uphill to fly at about 7000'. On the first flight out, all was well. The second flight out, the landing gear dropped on its own, so I flew in in close, raised it, then slowly ventured back out. When it lowered a second time and a brief "GPS signal lost" I brought it in. This was clear flying above most terrain (but as discovered later about 500' below a small repeater or transmitter of some sort just on top of a ridge). Discussed with cam-op and observer and decided to try another flight at close range. No problems on that or subsequent flights, even when flying to the ridge top and discovering the small repeater/transmitter maybe 30 yards distant.

At one point, a little over 7000', got the notice about power being reduced to ensure safe flight, but otherwise all controls were solid. Watched carefully while climbing the ridge as it was a hot day with thermals and occasional winds, but the A/C performed well.

I'm leaving the FW at the latest for the time being and watching closely on all flights for anomalies. I'll re-link radios prior to the next flights.

Can I ask another stupid question about IMU calibrations? Does it have to be done outdoors / where it will have good GPS and satellite links? I have always done it outdoors, on a table levelled etc. etc. but it is obviously harder to keep the aircraft cool under these conditions. I do this because I read that was necessary very early in Inspire 1 timeline but have more recently read about people doing the IMU cal indoors. So can anyone tell me what the real requirement is? Does it matter if there is a GPS and satellite connection whilst doing the IMU calibration?

IMU is independent of GPS. The IMU is all about accelerometers, which know about acceleration (obviously) and measure tilt angles relative to the horizon (or the earth's center of gravity if you want to get more pedantic). Level and vibration-free are important for establishing the baseline for the IMU to know what level actually is. The IMU should also be cool for this, and not warm, which it gets while you fly.

So: no, doesn't have to be outdoors, or with GPS reception, or even at the location where you will fly. You're best off doing this indoors at home, frankly.

Reactions: John Casey
Can I ask another stupid question about IMU calibrations? Does it have to be done outdoors / where it will have good GPS and satellite links? I have always done it outdoors, on a table levelled etc. etc. but it is obviously harder to keep the aircraft cool under these conditions. I do this because I read that was necessary very early in Inspire 1 timeline but have more recently read about people doing the IMU cal indoors. So can anyone tell me what the real requirement is? Does it matter if there is a GPS and satellite connection whilst doing the IMU calibration?
There is never a stupid question. No, the IMU align requires a level, vibration-free surface and gravity. If you live near a rail line or road you need to wait for a quiet period. GPS lock is not required.

I've had 3 flights with the new software the 3rd flight the drone started taking off on its own, I was in a large open field with tall weeds & some trees I didn't want to loose
it so I bought it down in the tall weeds and broke the gimbal.

No - it can be done anywhere (outdoors or indoors) although indoors is probably better since it will be unaffected by wind vibration etc.
It does not need to see GPS satellites and IMU is completely unaffected by metal or magnetic flux so doing a calibration right next to a radiator or in a garage next to a car is not an issue.

I would go ahead and update. I like a lot of others took the "if ain't broke why fix it" approach too before concluding that they wouldnt offer updates for nothing (would they)?

I did the upgrade last week and haven't noticed any difference in my Inspire 1 flight characteristics. I do though wait a few days or so after new firmware is introduced before updating. I have found in the past when I had problems with updates it was because of something I was doing wrong, not the firmware update!

Something that I now do always first is call DJI Support before upgrading. Hold times now seem to be less than 3 to 5 minutes and sometimes no hold time at all. I get the support agents name and ask questions first!!!, then I do the update. They are always very helpful and they encourage me to call back if I have any problems.

I was told by DJI Support, and this seems to be very important: YOU CAN ONLY UPGRADE FROM FIRMWARE 1.8 OR ABOVE TO THE NEW 1.9.1.30. So if you using firmware below 1.8 you will have problems when trying to upgrade to the 1.9.

In conclusion, the main reason I feel you should update is because:

1. The GEO System used for for unlocking flight zones which prevent take-offs and numerous other benefits only works with 1.9 update.

2. Dont you get tired of the App constantly reminding you that your firmware need updating.

Just my 2 cents worth...hope it helps.

Yes - and absolutely NO vibrations of any kind.
I've tried getting "perfectly level" cals and, with my airframe at least, it is impossible. Using a calibrated transit level sitting on the motor shafts I cannot get the AC level in both X and Y axis. Perhaps there is some "twist" in the airframe that I cannot eliminate.

I have still been flying on firmware from MAY 2015
My Inspire 1 flies perfect and still does ALL the things it did WHEN IT WAS NEW.
Scotflieger Inspire 1 DOES NOT
Scotflieger boasts about how well all his updates go, but his I1 is just a shell of what it used to be.
Don't let him fool you just because he posts in EVERY thread (how great his updates are).
His bird is slower, shittier, and waaaay more restrictive that it was (when it was brand new).
Some fuks just like to justify their mistakes by praising their decisions, try to get folks to "side" with them, (just so they feel better)
I'm NOT sayin' Scotflieger is a ***, ........... I'm just sayin' -

ps - I can still unplug my gps module and fly wherever the heck I want,
and at 60 mph, (and without any silly performance warnings - lol).
Scotflieger cannot - Just sayin' :)

Last edited:
My Inspire 1 flies perfect and still does ALL the things it did WHEN IT WAS NEW.
Scotflieger boasts about how well all his updates go, but his I1 is just a shell of what it used to be.
Don't let him fool you just because he posts in EVERY thread (how great his updates are).
His bird is slower, shittier, and waaaay more restrictive that it was (when it was brand new).
Some fuks just like to justify their mistakes by praising their decisions, try to get folks to "side" with them, (just so they feel better)

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Not.

I would go ahead and update. I like a lot of others took the "if ain't broke why fix it" approach too before concluding that they wouldnt offer updates for nothing (would they)?

I did the upgrade last week and haven't noticed any difference in my Inspire 1 flight characteristics. I do though wait a few days or so after new firmware is introduced before updating. I have found in the past when I had problems with updates it was because of something I was doing wrong, not the firmware update!

Something that I now do always first is call DJI Support before upgrading. Hold times now seem to be less than 3 to 5 minutes and sometimes no hold time at all. I get the support agents name and ask questions first!!!, then I do the update. They are always very helpful and they encourage me to call back if I have any problems.

I was told by DJI Support, and this seems to be very important: YOU CAN ONLY UPGRADE FROM FIRMWARE 1.8 OR ABOVE TO THE NEW 1.9.1.30. So if you using firmware below 1.8 you will have problems when trying to upgrade to the 1.9.

In conclusion, the main reason I feel you should update is because:

1. The GEO System used for for unlocking flight zones which prevent take-offs and numerous other benefits only works with 1.9 update.

2. Dont you get tired of the App constantly reminding you that your firmware need updating.

Just my 2 cents worth...hope it helps.
I admire the faith you put in DJI call centre staff but I am afraid the majority of them are clueless when it comes to multirotor mechanics and will be reading off a script and telling you what they have been told to say.
Do not expect 'real' help from them over and above 'Have you tried a compass calibration and IMU calibration' and of course then 'Oh you will need to send it in'.
And then there is always 'We strongly advise to update the firmware'
Do you actually believe they would (or be allowed to) tell you if there were a problem with the firmware?
There has been no admission of a barometer malfunction in the last version but many have suffered from it and some have lost their aircraft yet DJI only said that NFZ's were updated in that version.
I am sorry to say that calling DJI and asking is it alright to update is only a false sense of security.
You will get a much better perspective by watching this and other forums for any fall out of a newly released FW.

He is not the only one who has had smooth updates. OK I can understand frustration for those who chase boats bikes etc who maybe can't do it as well now. Overall for my line of work I have not noticed much difference in restrictions from firmware, however I don't do extreme flying. It did hit 56mph the other day flying back to landing site, it was low wind too. In my experience I certainly can't agree with the adjectives you have used or your common tactic of personal attacks.

I can still unplug my gps module and fly wherever the heck I want,
As far as I can understand - performances ware limited in order to protect the aircraft from getting into unrecoverable situation... It is for sure that I1 motors can make your bird much faster then it is, it is for sure that it could descend much faster then it does, but all these situations create significant risk of putting your I1 in a situation where airframe and motors can not keep up and whare you can loose control over your flight... Even more so if there is windy, cold or hot weather, or there is heavy payload under your bird (such as X5)... Above all that goes for "power reduced" mode, which protects your battery from demage which could lead to complete mid flight motor shutdown... Therefore I find that performance reductions are nothing more than wise compromise to make your bird reliable.

Regarding possibility to disconnect GPS antenna and make flying in NFZ in pure atti mode, I really like that idea - but having in mind that such procedure is beyond regular use, while I1 is prosumer platform operated by many inexperienced and uneducated people (that is why NFZs ware established in a first place) I can understand aim of such restriction...

For real pro flying you can opt for custom aircraft based on A2, A3 or some other controller who permits atti flying in NFZs, without "smart" battery and other performance restrictions - then you will be master of your own faith regarding all risks of flying multicopter... But with I1 you "agreed" to be partialy safeguarded by DJI "smart" solutions, so I believe that shoud not be reason to skip firmware updates, at least when they get tested and comfirmed by the community...

Currently I fly I1 with X5 on 1.8, and will update to latest 1.9 when community agrees it's safe :)

ps - I chase boats and cars, my bird can fly faster than 60km/h what is more then it is needed for good shot, as highs speed induced wind can mess up gimbal stabilisation...

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishSights
As far as I can understand - performances ware limited in order to protect the aircraft from getting into unrecoverable situation... It is for sure that I1 motors can make your bird much faster then it is, it is for sure that it could descend much faster then it does, but all these situations create significant risk of putting your I1 in a situation where airframe and motors can not keep up and whare you can loose control over your flight... Even more so if there is windy, cold or hot weather, or there is heavy payload under your bird (such as X5)... Above all that goes for "power reduced" mode, which protects your battery from demage which could lead to complete mid flight motor shutdown... Therefore I find that performance reductions are nothing more than wise compromise to make your bird reliable.

Regarding possibility to disconnect GPS antenna and make flying in NFZ in pure atti mode, I really like that idea - but having in mind that such procedure is beyond regular use, while I1 is prosumer platform operated by many inexperienced and uneducated people (that is why NFZs ware established in a first place) I can understand aim of such restriction...

For real pro flying you can opt for custom aircraft based on A2, A3 or some other controller who permits atti flying in NFZs, without "smart" battery and other performance restrictions - then you will be master of your own faith regarding all risks of flying multicopter... But with I1 you "agreed" to be partialy safeguarded by DJI "smart" solutions, so I believe that shoud not be reason to skip firmware updates, at least when they get tested and comfirmed by the community...

Currently I fly I1 with X5 on 1.8, and will update to latest 1.9 when community agrees it's safe :)

ps - I chase boats and cars, my bird can fly faster than 60km/h what is more then it is needed for good shot, as highs speed induced wind can mess up gimbal stabilisation...
I agree doc, with an addition: having very old firmware it will not allow operation of any of the excellent SDK apps that are now available. For those who have no need of such apps there is less incentive to upgrade, understandably.

Sheepishly I wait for @Scotflieger to test firmware out first, he is great at posting oddities if he finds them!

As far as I can understand - performances ware limited in order to protect the aircraft from getting into unrecoverable situation...

You are understanding that incorrectly my friend -
The performance was limited to protect the POS lipo packs they supplied us with (for $200 each). :mad:

Then they added weight with the new camera, increased the kv of the motors, (made to increase performance for the additional weight), but drawing even more amps from the POS packs.
And then they ran into winter, (where batteries have ALWAYS performed worse, regardless of chemistry) so they had to decrease the kv via firmware shortly after.......... idiots
Your battery should NEVER be the weak link in your propulsion system. NEVER!
The tb 47 & 48 has been DJI's biggest blunder by far (to date).
It is an absolute travesty and is probably the first time in history that anyone has had to "dummy down" the performance of their craft because their battery packs suck ***. What a flippin' Joke!

How could a Billion dollar company find themselves so clueless when it comes to 10C lipo packs and the associated voltage drop? I'm actually embarrassed for them !!! :oops:

Last edited:
I have been reluctant to upgrade based on horror stories and threads with titles like:
"Crash after 1.9!"
"Rolled back to "1.8.1"
"Don't upgrade because because you can't rollback more that 1 version"
And this one... "A lot of pilots would give their right arm to still have an older version"

This is my current
App 2.6.0
Aircraft 1.4.00.10
Remote 1.3.20+
Camera 1.4.00.10

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, rb
Hey fellow Droner I felt the same way and was very skittish about upgrading to the new firmware but I upgraded and everything was successful it took less than five minutes. I've read the horror stories and I can't imagine what they did wrong because it was so easy. I bought my inspire one the first month they came out and I can only recall one firmware upgrade that caused a lot of install issues but that was more than a year ago. The only thing I would ask you to do after the upgrade is to recalibrate your IMU. Remember your IMU is part of your guidance system and if it's not set up correctly that's where the issues happen. I could see where there could be problems if there was an issue with your drone prior to the upgrade. Some people like to skip upgrades from time to time and I see that possibly being a problem as well. Hope it works out well !

1.9.1.30 works fine for me. (always do IMU). Only odd thing is a 15C warning for the battery. They are specified for 5C. Had a dawn shoot at minus 3C, but battery warmers did the job. I flew 3 x T48s and 2 x T47s with no problems.

Reactions: DrMrdalj
Isn't that EXACTLY what YOU are doing here?

Good for you, my Inspire1 is also perfect and does ALL the things I ever wanted it to do, which is a whole lot more than what I got with the first firmware.

I have performed all upgrades up till 1.9.30.00 and it has always been OK. I was always concerned and cautious after people reporting issues, but I have never experienced any of those myself. Always performed IMU cal after every upgrade.

I don't consider myself lucky for not having had any issues. I consider the few others who have, to be unlucky, if it wasn't their own fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotflieger
1.9.1.30 works fine for me. (always do IMU). Only odd thing is a 15C warning for the battery. They are specified for 5C. Had a dawn shoot at minus 3C, but battery warmers did the job. I flew 3 x T48s and 2 x T47s with no problems.
You can expect the cold battery warning when the internal temperature sensor indicates below 15C. This can also prevent the motors starting. Ideally the battery needs to pre-heated to >20C using the battery heater as you did. The heater can use 2-3% but will give an improved flight time.

Reactions: IrishSights

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan