Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Using a lowepro droneguard pro inspired backpack for Inspire 2 as cabin luggage

Reaction score
Hi all, I have travelled with my inspire 2 with its stock case to various countries. However that is a pain to hike and walk around with once there. I've now got the amazing lowepro droneguard pro inspired backpack for it and have a shoot in Jamaica very soon. Was wondering has anyone tried bringing on the backpack with the Inspire 2 as cabin luggage, so when I get to my destination, I can continue using the backpack for easy transport. If it makes a difference, I'm flying with British Airways

Hi there
I used one of these drone bags for around. Year. My comment to you is firstly the feet antennas stick out on the sides and because of this they are prone to damage. Also I haven’t checked but the bag probably won’t fit in the overhead compartment of most aircraft.

i will travel with it soon, in Capo Verde Isles, (will have a mavic mini for scouting and an i2 to do proper shoots.) since i think it wont fit i suggest you to protect your bird at all costs and bring the mighty backpack too !

Hi all,
Well, I've just come back from the shoot in Jamaica with the Inspire 2 and the backpack and I can now give you my verdict. Firstly, travelling with it on the plane in the overhead cabin did not pose a problem. No one said anything apart from asking me to be careful when travelling down the plane aisle so I don't poke anyones eye out with the wings. It fit in the overhead compartment initially without any problems.

However...

Like @Brucey above alluded to, there's a danger to the exposed motors. A stewardess tried to make a piece of luggage from another passenger 'fit' next to my drone as it was a full plane and they run out of space. I only saw the damage once I landed. One of the small plastic locking clips had been snapped! Now fortunately, it did not effect the flight of the drone and I used it to get some great footage. But getting the propeller off the affected motor was a bit of a nightmare. Now I will have to get it repaired which 'hopefully' won't cost too much.

All in all, I have to admit, it was refreshing to be able to carry the Inspire 2 so easily around with me without lugging my huge pelican case with me. Also knowing it was above me 'somewhat' safe' for the entirety of the flight was a comfort I had never felt before.... apart from the mishap. If I wasn't travelling on my own, I would have brought the pelican and handed the rest to someone else to hold for me. But carrying that case, as well as 2 other bags of camera equipment and electronics and a small suitcase for my clothes wasn't feasible and would probably be expensive. If there was a hard motor protector solution you could use for the wings, I would be all over that!

@DStealth Thanks for your (prompt and) valuable feedback. The motors are left fragile indeed. You make me rethink bringing the I2 instead of the Mavic. Still in doubt since I'm traveling solo as well.

I could see the motors could cause problems on airplanes because the size is probably too big for what they normally allow in the cabin. However many would probably be fine with it.
One idea is just to padd the motors much more. Maybe even sew a new case for the motors and protect them. I will measure mine when it is back from our last trip and see if it is within the accepted size.

a31931903fee6f6ac53235e2215ed932.jpg

8a680cb17bbd0180495e1ae863576099.jpg

Are you referring to the Inspired Backpack by Lowe? It comes with these neoprene wrappers.

With the Inspire in Transport Mode the landing gear should be low enough.

Thanks for the report BTW, I am flying to Canary Islands for a production End of March and think about Carry On as well.

What about the LiPo‘s? Any problem whatsoever? Thinking about storing them in a separate LiPo Bag.

Cheers
Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk