Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video editing?

Reaction score
Just getting started with my new I1. Computer place tried to tell me I had to drop $2000 for Apple computer with 4k monitor if I wanted decent editing capability. Comments?

Yea that would be a dope unit. You don't need it, but if you're serious about learning to edit it will make your life much easier.
You could also get a similarly spec'ed PC for about half the price (plus a monitor) and run Adobe premiere just fine

Reactions: Soflms
Just getting started with my new I1. Computer place tried to tell me I had to drop $2000 for Apple computer with 4k monitor if I wanted decent editing capability. Comments?
I have the iMac 5K and it is a wonderful machine. I seldom use it as I'm on the road all the time and end up doing all my editing (4K content) on a MacBook Air working off an external drive. The editing piece is fine with the MacBook Air, but the rendering time for 4K video is pretty brutal. If you don't need to be on the go all the time and can sit at your desk for the editing, then the iMac is a strong contender. Considering you get a 27 inch 5K display, the computer is practically free of charge.

Welcome to the forum and best wishes to you with your new Inspire. Cheers.

I have the 5K on my list, with a few upgrades as well. 98% of the stuff I shoot right now is in 1080p because of my computer restrictions. I'm currently running Final Cut Pro on a 2008 macbook pro. I have to render everything but it is possible. The few times i've shot in 4K i've actually been able to edit it. I just have to be patient for the render process and then I can edit it in real time.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am having frustration with editing 4K on a fairly new Dell business machine. Is there a thin free editor app that works well with 4K. I have tried the GoPro free app but it takes about 6 months to render video. The video comes out great but I requires a half day to edit a 5min video. Any advice?

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am having frustration with editing 4K on a fairly new Dell business machine. Is there a thin free editor app that works well with 4K. I have tried the GoPro free app but it takes about 6 months to render video. The video comes out great but I requires a half day to edit a 5min video. Any advice?
Any body have luck editing on a iPad with movie maker.

What are people using for software? Just got my I1 and am a PC guy. Want something intermediate that won't be totally over my head.

What are people using for software? Just got my I1 and am a PC guy. Want something intermediate that won't be totally over my head.

I would try Adobe Premiere Elements. It's not free, but it's very reasonable and pretty easy to use.

I went pretty crazy researching what to use on my pc as I had elements once and learned quickly that what looks economical becomes expensive as you learn how to do a good job and the tools you need to do it. I ended up buying the entire Cyberlink suite way back in the spring and have been so happy with it I just updated everything to their latest versions. They've done a great job of allowing you to be a productive noob while providing the tools if you're a Hollywood caliber editor. The software's human interface is instinctual so you won't be sitting reading pages of how tos just import and go. The more you use it the better you get and the more the program will teach you.
....... Good point.. The more you use something the better you get at it.. But my vote went to FCPX... They are both pretty good, you just have to get your workflow down.

All the FCP editors I know moved to premiere when FCPX came out....

My company used to use Avid (we had 15 editors all on Avid).

I now use 20 various Freelancers around the country, and 4 use Avid, 15 use Premier and 1 uses FCPX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll agree with andrew259. I've editing for Lockheed Martin for plenty of years. ALL of our suites now are PP6.0 OR CC. We kicked FCP to the curb (no offence to the current users) our workflow just made it so and the marrying of Adobe apps helps with dynamic linking....yes, that works on mac too. Built my own PC i7/w32 gigs of ram...bla.bla.bla ($1700) and it would smoke the new trash can for 1/3 of the cost. win-win! Speck out a build, you'll be amassed what kind of machine you can obtain for little $$.

Reactions: Highrpm955
It all depends what you plan to do! I go on other forums ex: indie filmmakers and people say Davinci Resolve is the editor to work with specially with red raw 4k. it all depends what you plan to do and if you are like me and far from editing hollywood blockbusters FCPX is perfect. i mainly edit music videos and stock footage. FCPX is a beast for what i do.

Reactions: Highrpm955
I used PowerDirector for a bit but am planning to move to APP CC soon. As a mostly still image photographer I've used Photoshop for many years so the Adobe way is somewhat more intuitive. I found a really good training series on Youtube for APP CC 2015 so let me pass on a link in case others might be interested. The series is in about 36 segments averaging about 15 minutes per segment.

Brian

Reactions: lrwskyfilms

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry