Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

View with camera tilted up?

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know if, when in flight mode (pods lifted up) and the camera at its max tilt up (up past the horizon), are the props or any part of the airframe in frame?

if so, at what upward angle can you start the see the airframe?

Can anyone let me know if, when in flight mode (pods lifted up) and the camera at its max tilt up (up past the horizon), are the props or any part of the airframe in frame?

All depends what your airspeed is and what direction and speed of the wind is.
Also, what camera?

Say standing still. In a stationary hover.

either camera. generic lens.

I get that if you use a WIDE angle on the interchangeable lens model that will change things.

what I am looking for is how far "up" can I look during say, a bridge inspection, before I see airframe. Not that airframe in frame "ruins" the footage, its not for cinema, but just what kind of "look up" capability is realistic out of the advertised "40 degree" upward movement of the gimbal.

With the X3 you can see about half a prop each side - stationary, tilted all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Choptop
If you're talking about using this for bridge inspections, you have to be REALLY careful as flying that closely to a structure with that amount of metal is going to affect the compass and could potentially interfere with GPS signal, you could get into some trouble with the inspire not being able to hold position and can/will drift drastically, or even go out of control when up close. And you would need to be within 10 feet of anything in order to see anything of detail. Wide angle nature of the lens makes everything look further away than it really is.

Not sure that kind of info is included in the study course for getting your license to fly commercially or not, I don't have 107 (I have 333), so I can't say if that test covers that type of thing (I would guess not).

Which is why I'm interested in the Inspire 2 with its ability to detect objects without GPS and therefore, say, fly indoors. Which would also mean that flying outdoor near an object, like a bridge or structure for inspection. Also another reason why I'm interested in the Inspire 2 is to use the interchangeable lens camera and use a longer lens to get more close up images without having to be phyiscally that close to the object being inspected.

I have my Part 107... and no, that isnt covered. That part is left up to the operator to determine if it can be done safely.

Reactions: giavonnie
Which is why I'm interested in the Inspire 2 with its ability to detect objects without GPS and therefore, say, fly indoors. Which would also mean that flying outdoor near an object, like a bridge or structure for inspection. Also another reason why I'm interested in the Inspire 2 is to use the interchangeable lens camera and use a longer lens to get more close up images without having to be phyiscally that close to the object being inspected.

I have my Part 107... and no, that isnt covered. That part is left up to the operator to determine if it can be done safely.

Cmon Choptop
Just order one. I did. I'm going to do bridge inspections too. The 45 prime will get you somewhat closer and I see some peeps out there fooling around with a 100 on the long side. DJI will come out with a zoom soon I'm sure. And Flir, and others too.

I get that if you use a WIDE angle on the interchangeable lens model that will change things.

what I am looking for is how far "up" can I look during say, a bridge inspection, before I see airframe. Not that airframe in frame "ruins" the footage, its not for cinema, but just what kind of "look up" capability is realistic out of the advertised "40 degree" upward movement of the gimbal.

you can indeed see the Props (hover). If I were taking a guess I would say center of the CAM is 30-35 degrees above the horizon, so top of screen (dependent on lens) you may see 50-60 degrees. I was very shocked how much higher up it will show. Next time I have it out, I'll try to get you a MAX up PIC (maybe 360) from a hover and also see if I stay with those estimates ~

Choptop -- as requested . . . this is with 15mm(DJI) lens. Forget the pic and colors (quality) . . . I almost forgot, but took these on the way down for ya. Three PICs (Max Up, center, level)

Attachments

• DJI_0268.jpg
    DJI_0268.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DJI_0269.jpg
    DJI_0269.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DJI_0270.jpg
    DJI_0270.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Partykungen1
I haven't tested it yet, but in full foreward flight with gimbal full up, I think you could see props, but I could imagine that the m.zuiko 45 mm lens would mitigate if not eliminate this problem.

I tested it today, with camera tilted up, you can't see the props, but with high winds (like it-was-flashing-high-wind-warnings high winds) you can.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

With the blades in the elevated position, no you can't see the blades at all. If you go full speed forward, then stop right away, you will see the blades while the drone straightens out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manashiroy