Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Warning! Do not install fw 1.9! Lost I1

That is a reasonable and fair point. Nonetheless, I did not completely ignore the warning, I actually complied to it. Could I've been more skeptical about it once it did not show anymore? Maybe.

However, none of this redeems DJI from releasing faulty updates. But I do appreciate DJI decision and support.
I'm going to disagree with you there, The error message stated to restart the aicraft and if the error persisted contact DJI. It would appear from your original post that it took several reboots before the error cleared, after the second reboot you should have decided that "The error persisted" and contacted DJI. repeatedly rebooting may have cleared the error but it left the actual fault behind.

Reactions: AeroVisionz
I'm going to disagree with you there, The error message stated to restart the aicraft and if the error persisted contact DJI. It would appear from your original post that it took several reboots before the error cleared, after the second reboot you should have decided that "The error persisted" and contacted DJI. repeatedly rebooting may have cleared the error but it left the actual fault behind.
dead-horse.gif

Reactions: Gerson Morelli

I respect your opinion. However, if that was the case, the message shouldn't be "ESC status error. Reboot your aircraft. If problem persists, contact DJI". It should be: "ESC status error. Contact DJI."

I may be flogging a dead horse in your opinion but this stuff needs to be said, I've seen some incredibly idiotic things done to machinery by some supposedly intelligent people because thet "Thought" they knew what they were doing. If it takes more than two reboots to clear an error message then that error message is persistent, some people seem simply incapable of grasping this fact, like those people who insist on hitting TV's if they don't turn on or the person who flicks the light switch repeatedly as though that will make the bulb somehow magically work again...

I respect your opinion. However, if that was the case, the message shouldn't be "ESC status error. Reboot your aircraft. If problem persists, contact DJI". It should be: "ESC status error. Contact DJI."
No because there is always the possibility that it was a simple startup error, this is a complex piece of kit and occaisonal computational or startup sequence errors do happen, but after a couple of tries it should be apparent that it's a persistent fault...

Last edited:
I may be flogging a dead horse in your opinion but this stuff needs to be said, I've seen some incredibly idiotic things done to machinery by some supposedly intelligent people because thet "Thought" they knew what they were doing. If it takes more than two reboots to clear an error message then that error message is persistent, some people seem simply incapable of grasping this fact, like those people who insist on hitting TV's if they don't turn on or the person who flicks the light switch repeatedly as though that will make the bulb somehow magically work again...
No because there is always the possibility that it was a simple startup error, this is a complex piece of kit and occaisonal computational or sequence errors do happen, but after a couple of tries it should be apparent that it's a persistent fault...

I see... Another "prophet of past events"... So having heard all that happened you know exactly what should've been done rather than my "idiotic" actions to follow instructions?
Having "engineer" in your name tag and making "incredibly smart" remarks such as "this is a complex piece of kit with computation sequences" doesn't make anyone supposedly more intelligent or experienced.

I respected your first comment. But I'm done with so many "know it all" remarks when my only intention was to warn other users of possible errors.

I see... Another "prophet of past events"... So having heard all that happened you know exactly what should've been done rather than my "idiotic" actions to follow instructions?
Having "engineer" in your name tag and making "incredibly smart" remarks such as "this is a complex piece of kit with computation sequences" doesn't make anyone supposedly more intelligent or experienced.

I respected your first comment. But I'm done with so many "know it all" remarks when my only intention was to warn other users of possible errors.

Nope - not a prophet of past events, merely observing that on one hand you complain about DJI and their firmware but on the other hand when their equipment tells you theres a fault, rather than heeding the warning that a "Persistent" error should be reported for further analysis you kept reebooting until you couldn't see the error and thought you'd fixed it. As for you following instructions - you've missed my point I'm saying that you DIDN'T follow instructions and kept rebooting until you couldn't see the fault rather than investigate the root cause.
I don't care about your personal attack on me, as it happens I really am an engineer, I have 30 plus years of experience in dealling with microprocessor controlled equipment ranging from simple domestic appliances upwards, I've seen people who've rebooted equipment multiple times when it's shown an error and eventually got it to start seemingly normally - then seem incredibly suprised and distressed when said equipments fault returns while it's operating and causes a major failure. The intention here was not to personally attack you but to put the information out there that if an error persists after a couple of reboots then, on something as safety critical as a UAV it's better to err on the side of caution and not fly until the fault has been fully investigated.
Oh, and just to be an "Incredibly smart", "know it all", I actually said " this is a complex piece of kit and occasional computational or startup sequence errors do happen" ( I did originally miss out the word startup but have edited the post for clarity) - by which I meant that yes sometimes you get a bug that causes a phantom error on startup so a reboot would usually clear that - if however it doesn't clear after a second reboot then that would really have to be counted as persistent.

Reactions: The Editor
Nope - not a prophet of past events, merely observing that on one hand you complain about DJI and their firmware but on the other hand when their equipment tells you theres a fault, rather than heeding the warning that a "Persistent" error should be reported for further analysis you kept reebooting until you couldn't see the error and thought you'd fixed it. As for you following instructions - you've missed my point I'm saying that you DIDN'T follow instructions and kept rebooting until you couldn't see the fault rather than investigate the root cause.
I don't care about your personal attack on me, as it happens I really am an engineer, I have 30 plus years of experience in dealling with microprocessor controlled equipment ranging from simple domestic appliances upwards, I've seen people who've rebooted equipment multiple times when it's shown an error and eventually got it to start seemingly normally - then seem incredibly suprised and distressed when said equipments fault returns while it's operating and causes a major failure. The intention here was not to personally attack you but to put the information out there that if an error persists after a couple of reboots then, on something as safety critical as a UAV it's better to err on the side of caution and not fly until the fault has been fully investigated.
Oh, and just to be an "Incredibly smart", "know it all", I actually said " this is a complex piece of kit and occasional computational or startup sequence errors do happen" ( I did originally miss out the word startup but have edited the post for clarity) - by which I meant that yes sometimes you get a bug that causes a phantom error on startup so a reboot would usually clear that - if however it doesn't clear after a second reboot then that would really have to be counted as persistent.

Fair enough. I should've taken the high road as you did. I understand your arguments and respect your background. Nonetheless, the engineers that designed this piece of equipment should've considered that not all of us are experienced with microprocessors. So if a message tells me to restart the aircraft and if the message disappeared no matter if it happened after 1, 2 or 10 tries, it should be working properly. Otherwise, just exclude the instructions to restart.

Fair enough. I should've taken the high road as you did. I understand your arguments and respect your background. Nonetheless, the engineers that designed this piece of equipment should've considered that not all of us are experienced with microprocessors. So if a message tells me to restart the aircraft and if the message disappeared no matter if it happened after 1, 2 or 10 tries, it should be working properly. Otherwise, just exclude the instructions to restart.
You're probably right, but then there would have to be a way to clear that message, which would mean either (Horror of horrors) locking the unit until it's sent for repair or using some kind of reset protocol which would eventually make it's way onto the web and end up in general use. At least this way allows for the phantom errors or those like blocked props to be cleared. Perhaps they should use the same system that some other manufacturers do and have a two tier error system with less critical errors being reboot resettable and others only resetting after inputting a code.

You're probably right, but then there would have to be a way to clear that message, which would mean either (Horror of horrors) locking the unit until it's sent for repair or using some kind of reset protocol which would eventually make it's way onto the web and end up in general use. At least this way allows for the phantom errors or those like blocked props to be cleared. Perhaps they should use the same system that some other manufacturers do and have a two tier error system with less critical errors being reboot resettable and others only resetting after inputting a code.

Do you really believe it takes 4 pages worth of postings to convey your message? I think Gerson Morelli gets it...he may not agree but he gets it...
animal.gif

Reactions: lake_flyer
Do you really believe it takes 4 pages worth of postings to convey your message? I think Gerson Morelli gets it...he may not agree but he gets it...
View attachment 9242
No I don't, I thought i had it adequately explained in the first post ( and so most likely did Gerson Morelli), then you chimed in with your somewhat sarcastic two pennyworth and it ran on from there. Perhaps you should try to be less of a pompous troll and more of a helpful forum member...:(

After installing the 1.9 I tried to fly and when I turned it on, it said there was an ESC status error and it wouldn't turn the engines on. Asked me to restart the aircraft and if the problem persisted to contact DJI. After rebooting the I1 and rc for five or six time, everything seemed ok. And even rebooted a few more times to make sure the problem wouldn't happen again, and it didn't. Also I calibrated a couple of times just to make sure... Had 17 sats locked.
I decided to make a flight with caution in order to assess if everything was good. After a couple of minutes going up and down, back and forth further no issues. As I was stable at around 1.000 feet from me and 200 ft high the I1 went into a deadly spiral and at the DJI Go app a bunch of different red lights started to blink with different messages (where the status is). I couldn't read all of them as I was desperate to try to regaing control, but one of them was something regarding compass error, and sensors error or something like that, among others.
My I1 felt in the middle of a small river. I must say I am actually thankful for that, as there was some people near the margins.
I don't understand how DJI is such a terrible company and there is not a single time when they update their fw that a lot of people have issues. I just watched 2.000 dollars fall into the ground and I know that there is nothing I can do about it because in addition to their incompetence to deliver reliable software, they have the worst customer relations I've ever experienced.
I can't wait for GoPro's Karma drone. Hopefully an American company will do a better job in serving the community.
Hey man I feel for you but we had a similar issue on Thursday at a jobsite. We were flying our inspire 1 pro and were at 30 ft and noticed the camera was out of focus. We tried to do a camera focus calibration and nothing was responding. Then out of nowhere the inspire shutdown and crashed onto the concrete. It's was an awful sound and feeling. The poor thing is totaled. We have talked to dji and our insurance agent. We are hoping it's covered under warranty but if not we will go through insurance. It is very frustrating but I feel like this one had some gremlins since day one. Video would cut out at 10 feet and all sorts of stupid issues. Makes me loose all confidence in the craft. I have a p4 p2 550 and I feel like the inspire is the most unreliable

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 16
I wish DJI understood what an episode like that does to the reputation and business of professional UAV operators...perhaps if they did they wouldn't be so casual with releasing defective FWs. Imagine if McDonnell Douglas or Northrop were that sloppy with new aircraft..there'D be a lot of dead test pilots....

I wish DJI understood what an episode like that does to the reputation and business of professional UAV operators...perhaps if they did they wouldn't be so casual with releasing defective FWs. Imagine if McDonnell Douglas or Northrop were that sloppy with new aircraft..there'D be a lot of dead test pilots....
Exactly. We just did a shoot a few weeks ago at the kart races for our local club. Imagine if that happened during that job, "drone crashes into kart racers". It's really bad for the industry and our business. One bad incident could be game over for you and your business. Also all the more reason to follow the rules and have insurance. We dont need anymore bad press. The inspire one is a great platform and has been around long enough that these problems shouldn't be coming up this late in its production and FW updates. Fingers crossed that dji takes care of the poor pilots of these broken birds

Exactly. We just did a shoot a few weeks ago at the kart races for our local club. Imagine if that happened during that job, "drone crashes into kart racers". It's really bad for the industry and our business. One bad incident could be game over for you and your business. Also all the more reason to follow the rules and have insurance. We dont need anymore bad press. The inspire one is a great platform and has been around long enough that these problems shouldn't be coming up this late in its production and FW updates. Fingers crossed that dji takes care of the poor pilots of these broken birds

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully DJI will take care of this issue. At least you have a fallback plan with the insurance.

We are not flying manned aircraft here but the FAA wants us to think like a manned aircraft pilot thinks. It is called ADM or Aeronautical Decision Making. We need to first identify risks and then take any steps we can to mitigate these risks and then reanalyze the risks, what is refer to as RM or Risk Management.

In a manned aircraft we have lots of redundancies. Just about anything can fail and yet the flight can continue to a safe landing. We have none of these redundancies in most of our UAS. If a motor or ESC fails we are coming down as illustrated here. Of course in a manned aircraft we have a lot larger risks both to the occupants and to others on the ground but the concepts of ADM still apply. Still I do look forward to the day where these redundancies are common place in our UAS to reduce the risk to our aircraft and persons and property on the ground.

With manned aircraft it is too easy for those reading the accident report to harshly judge the pilot as we are doing here. Instead we need to learn from the incident as the OP intended by sharing his experience. Can we learn from his experience? I think we can and I want to thank him for sharing.

In the early days of manned aviation we did not have these redundancy either, but we learned from the accidents and incidents and changed. Many here complain about the FAA regulations and rules, but you must also remember they were written in blood.

Do we need the exact same rules for UAS? I think not, but we can learn from their best practices and high on this list is ADM.

Most accidents I have read about here and with manned aircraft can be blamed on pilot error and that is exactly why we too need to learn ADM and RM skills. We are in the early days of UAS, lessons learned today and actions taken, will forever change our future with new regulations and best practices.

After 2 hours at the flight field on Wednesday night thinking about all I have read on this and other multi rotor forums. I chickened out and decided to Not fly with the recently uploaded 1.9 firmware.
With all the firmware problems being openly discussed with the Inspire 1 Pro and what I feel is a poor response from DJI. I have at the moment lost counsumer confidence. I fly aircraft with DJI WKM and A2 systems and never experienced any problems. But with my Inspire that was originally on 1.7 firmware it has already cost me £1400 for a replacement gimbal that was not due to pilot error. So I down graded to version 1.8 Thurdsay evening and the Inspire pro flew exceptionally well that reached my expectations. Sorry DJI but you need to be mindful of your existing customers as well as your future potential customers and hope your actions are enough to change my feelings. I have spent many thousands of pounds on DJI products but now feel somewhat dissatisfied with the Inspire firmware problems.

After 2 hours at the flight field on Wednesday night thinking about all I have read on this and other multi rotor forums. I chickened out and decided to Not fly with the recently uploaded 1.9 firmware.
With all the firmware problems being openly discussed with the Inspire 1 Pro and what I feel is a poor response from DJI. I have at the moment lost counsumer confidence. I fly aircraft with DJI WKM and A2 systems and never experienced any problems. But with my Inspire that was originally on 1.7 firmware it has already cost me £1400 for a replacement gimbal that was not due to pilot error. So I down graded to version 1.8 Thurdsay evening and the Inspire pro flew exceptionally well that reached my expectations. Sorry DJI but you need to be mindful of your existing customers as well as your future potential customers and hope your actions are enough to change my feelings. I have spent many thousands of pounds on DJI products but now feel somewhat dissatisfied with the Inspire firmware problems.
I thought the updated 1.9 was getting favourable comments?

I thought the updated 1.9 was getting favourable comments?

So you're agreeing the original 1.9 was NOT getting favorable comments?
(this is a new and interesting developement)
popcorn.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc