Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Watch Out for Spec Drones Ebay

Reaction score
Just won an Ebay auction for an XT2 for my M210 from Spec Drones. 2 minutes after the auction ended my order is cancelled. Spec Drones claims an employee mistakenly listed it and it doesn't work. They didn't get enough money for it is why I believe they cancelled. The camera looks brand new. They are a new seller so I did Google their company before I bid and they looked legit. I have my doubts.

Screenshot_20200614-162631_eBay.jpg

Just won an Ebay auction for an XT2 for my M210 from Spec Drones. 2 minutes after the auction ended my order is cancelled. Spec Drones claims an employee mistakenly listed it and it doesn't work. They didn't get enough money for it is why I believe they cancelled. The camera looks brand new. They are a new seller so I did Google their company before I bid and they looked legit. I have my doubts.

View attachment 28980
$3,300 for an XT2? ;)

View attachment 28980

Yep...absolutely maddening when sellers do this. Even more maddening that they are ALLOWED to do this. Winning auctions on eBay requires a pretty high level of diligence, so I always demand compensation for my time. I don't think I have ever received compensation, so I don't hesitate to leave the worst, negative feedback possible. This kind of crap makes my blood boil.

At least half a dozen times over the years I PREDICTED a seller would do this. Their M.O. is pretty easy to spot; newbie with a high-dollar item with no reserve and a low opening bid. In anticipation of a cancellation I have preemptively complained to eBay. Being a long-time member, I'm one of their "Concierge" members. So I get to talk to a native English speaker almost immediately. Even preemptive complaints didn't stop the cancellation. Maddening. So now I send a message, "I have already warned eBay that you might cancel this auction. I highly recommend you don't."

Any more these days, 99% of my purchases are via the "Buy it Now" option.

D

This happens all the time. You didn't lose any money so not sure what the problem is. So they canceled.. you got the SAME exact result you would've gotten if they had put a reserve on it.

Soundsat me like you're bitter and you want to force the seller to sell you something for a price they don't want to sell it at. People DO make mistakes on ebay, seller could be telling the truth. No harm to you.

Wait until you purchase something for $50 on eBay, then find out shipping is $189. There's plenty of those deals on eBay too.

This happens all the time. You didn't lose any money so not sure what the problem is. So they canceled.. you got the SAME exact result you would've gotten if they had put a reserve on it.

I have to interject here. You are wrong. It's not the same. Not only does bidding and WINNING an item take skill and diligence, but it pulls focus away from other LEGITIMATE items that the buyer COULD HAVE focused on instead. So you are wrong. It's not "the same."

Soundsat me like you're bitter and you want to force the seller to sell you something for a price they don't want to sell it at.

The auction is a contract. Period. In theory once you commit to selling an item, you are supposed to sell it for the agreed-upon winning bid. eBay HIGHLY frowns on this behavior and gives the seller one or two "mulligans" a year. If I had my way, sellers would be suspended and/or fined for withdrawing from their auction contract.

People DO make mistakes on ebay, seller could be telling the truth. No harm to you.

Well....integrity aside....

Highly unlikely they're telling the truth. Dollars to doughnuts I could've predicted the seller would do this. The M.O. is easy to spot.

* New seller
* High dollar item
* Low opening bid
* No reserve price
* Winning bid far below actual value for the item

I that situation, if the item sells for say 50% of its actual value, there's like an 80% chance the seller will back out of the contract. It's THAT easy to spot.

Wait until you purchase something for $50 on eBay, then find out shipping is $189. There's plenty of those deals on eBay too.

You don't "find out" shipping costs post auction. Shipping fees are clearly listed IN the auction AS PART of the auction.

D

Reactions: Dave Pitman

I hope this is not the philosophy you take when quoting work to prospective clients. You realize you quoted too cheap and decide not to honor your agreement. Why not, they don't have to pay you anything if you don't show up.

Reactions: RMartin and JimJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo