Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Watch where you're standing.

Reaction score
Was out this afternoon practicing my ATTI flying, and didn't realize I was standing on a fire ant trail. After they made their presence abundantly (and intimately) clear, I managed to get disoriented a bit bringing the Inspire home and backed into a brick wall. Oops.

The casualties (other than three props) --

lawson-20150322-2942.jpg

(Cover screws sheered off -- should look like this - )

lawson-20150322-2944.jpg

Worse, it appears the shaft is bent on this axis, and it no longer turns freely -

lawson-20150322-2945.jpg

I'd hoped I could maybe get away with buying a new (or salvage) gimbal and camera, but I also appear to have busted this connector -

lawson-20150322-2946.jpg

Is this a "field replaceable" part, or does that mean it needs to go back to DJI? I'd wanted to avoid sending it, since (other than the turnaround time) it's not like it was the fault of the device.

Thanks!

There was guy selling Inspire by individual peaces on this forum not long time ago ;craft itself .battery, camera , etc.
You might try a search and try to buy the camera only ,have this one fixed (if the reaper cost is reasonable) , keep it as a spare one or sell it.

Thanks! There's a couple of them floating around; My curiosity is more that connector and whether I can find (and field replace) the cable with the broken clip, or repair it somehow, or if the whole thing needs to go back to the mother ship...

Good luck repairing the Gimbal. Even though you fixed it with new parts does not mean the Potentiometer is tuned correctly. You will most likely run into issues if you do not send it in to service to be properly calibrated. It is not the same calibration in the user software.

Thanks for the head's up. I've already pulled the trigger, so I guess I'll find out. It seems kind of odd that they'd sell the part separately if there was no way to successfully field-install it...

Good luck repairing the Gimbal. Even though you fixed it with new parts does not mean the Potentiometer is tuned correctly. You will most likely run into issues if you do not send it in to service to be properly calibrated. It is not the same calibration in the user software.
Eh???.....where's the potentiometer? Do you mean the brushless motors on the gimbal or am I missing something?

Eh???.....where's the potentiometer? Do you mean the brushless motors on the gimbal or am I missing something?
I had a poteniometer on my bmw gsa which I had to adjust to sync the carburators, never heard of one on the Inspire. Hey, Chuck, sounds like you invented a new compass "dance"

Enjoy life and be nice

all of the zen muse gimbals have a potentiometer on them to give feedback. Standard alexmos and martinez gimbals do not have a potentiometer. DJI gimbals are brushless but typically have a potentiometer in them. If you take apart a H3-3D you will clearly see a tiny potentiometer on the roll an tilt shaft

all of the zen muse gimbals have a potentiometer on them to give feedback. Standard alexmos and martinez gimbals do not have a potentiometer. DJI gimbals are brushless but typically have a potentiometer in them. If you take apart a H3-3D you will clearly see a tiny potentiometer on the roll an tilt shaft
What??????? How does a variable resistor give feedback?
It is simply a fixed value resistor between two end points with a third tap off that allows the user to alter its resistance and thus the potential difference between either of the two end points and the central tap!
The Zenmuse gimbals work on a closed loop feedback system that takes into account not only the gimbal attitude in three axis with data supplied by its own internal gyro and accelerometers but also makes fine adjustment derived from a data stream and correction pulses supplied directly from the flight controller itself.A 'weighting' or bias is then applied to come to a trust value between the gyros and accelerometers to ultimately reach a happy compromise between stabilisation for slow rotating turns and fast dynamic flight which both need different trust values to achieve level attitude.
I don't believe it has anything to do with a little variable resistor in the body of the gimbal!

Last edited:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33494
proof

It prolly doesn't. It still has a potentiometer though. I know that when you send a gimbal into dji they do use special software to calibrate the gimbal that is not available to us. Im sure he can repair his gimbal just fine, and we will not know until he fires it up if it will need this additional dji calibration in there service center.

Last edited:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33494
proof

It prolly doesn't. It still has a potentiometer though. I know that when you send a gimbal into dji they do use special software to calibrate the gimbal that is not available to us. Im sure he can repair his gimbal just fine, and we will not know until he fires it up if it will need this additional dji calibration in there service center.
Ahhhhhh...... Now I see. Thank you..... I think what DJI are doing when they service/repair the gimbals is calibrate the gimbal on six axis (which the user is able to do on many after market gimbals but not on the Zenmuse camp :mad:).
DJI have to do this and then they would make minor adjustments by a fraction of a degree at a time to get it perfectly level.
You're right though when you say we will not know whether the OP's gimbal will calibrate correctly after repair as there is a chance it will not and be slightly off axis..... That will be a job for DJI.........:)

Reactions: Tahoejmfc
Ahhhhhh...... Now I see. Thank you..... I think what DJI are doing when they service/repair the gimbals is calibrate the gimbal on six axis (which the user is able to do on many after market gimbals but not on the Zenmuse camp :mad:).
DJI have to do this and then they would make minor adjustments by a fraction of a degree at a time to get it perfectly level.
You're right though when you say we will not know whether the OP's gimbal will calibrate correctly after repair as there is a chance it will not and be slightly off axis..... That will be a job for DJI.........:)

You Sir are 100% Correct

Was out this afternoon practicing my ATTI flying, and didn't realize I was standing on a fire ant trail. After they made their presence abundantly (and intimately) clear, I managed to get disoriented a bit bringing the Inspire home and backed into a brick wall. Oops.

The casualties (other than three props) --

lawson-20150322-2942.jpg

(Cover screws sheered off -- should look like this - )

lawson-20150322-2944.jpg

Worse, it appears the shaft is bent on this axis, and it no longer turns freely -

lawson-20150322-2945.jpg

I'd hoped I could maybe get away with buying a new (or salvage) gimbal and camera, but I also appear to have busted this connector -

lawson-20150322-2946.jpg

Is this a "field replaceable" part, or does that mean it needs to go back to DJI? I'd wanted to avoid sending it, since (other than the turnaround time) it's not like it was the fault of the device.

Thanks!
Why didn't you just go into a HOVER until you had taken care of the ant problem? Sheer Panic?

Reactions: Tahoejmfc
[QUOTE="we will not know whether the OP's gimbal will calibrate correctly after repair as there is a chance it will not and be slightly off axis..... That will be a job for DJI.........:)[/QUOTE]

Of course, it'll be interesting it see if it's any further off axis than it was to begin with :)

Why didn't you just go into a HOVER until you had taken care of the ant problem? Sheer Panic?

Yeah, more or less. Had descended to about head height when I "discovered" the fire ants. Glanced down to see wtf, looked back up, gust of wind was blowing it right at me. Reflex hit the elevator to send it away, missed that my orientation was inverted and it accelerated towards me. Pushed up the throttle to let it go over me instead of hitting me, hit the wall behind me. I could have doubtless handled it better, but still happy to buy repair parts instead of getting stitches.

i had the same bent. i just bent it back in place and seems ok now... i wrote dji admitting what had halpened to me. they of course said i have to send it for them to check on it if it needs replacement or if they can fix it... but since this my only one i am hesitating... will ask them if they can give me some more info on the system and if bending it back is a solution and since i did it which they would see if i'd send it in another question is if the warranty is void...

heres another thing.... that "saddle" lanyard that comes with the Inspire. You need to check the clevis that hooks to your radio. It comes apart (defect from the factory). My radio went crashing to there ground and broke my iPad screen. (DJI is going to cover the damage)

Well, it took half of forever to actually get a replacement camera and gimbal (fortunately, I managed to get the old one to limp along in the meantime), but it finally arrived.

After I mounted it and turned the aircraft on, it needed to update the firmware on the camera, but once I did that and calibrated the gimbal, it worked like a charm; no problems at all.

Just in case anyone was still wondering :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry