Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Well sat on the fence long enough.....X5 or X5R or dronexpert solution

Reaction score
I've waited and still wait, read a lot and watched hours of Ytube videos.

There are some very great photographers on here, also the likes of "iancresswell" and "jim hare" on the rcgroups and DJI forum have forgotten more about film and glass then I'll ever know.

So I like the X3 for what it is but I need a better camera;
Is the X5 really worth 4 times as much as good as it is.
Is the X5R really worth getting? And I can't see as yet why I need 4K RAW, never mind the processing power needed, as I believe it produces something like 8.5mb per frame.
Or this; Dronexpert | Sony RX100/WX500 (30x optical zoom) gimbal for Matrice 100 and Inspire 1

My pockets are deep enough, but my arms are short, so thoughts please.

There are some very great photographers on here, also the likes of "iancresswell" and "jim hare" on the rcgroups and DJI forum have forgotten more about film and glass then I'll ever know.

So I like the X3 for what it is but I need a better camera;
Is the X5 really worth 4 times as much as good as it is.
Is the X5R really worth getting? And I can't see as yet why I need 4K RAW, never mind the processing power needed, as I believe it produces something like 8.5mb per frame.
Or this; Dronexpert | Sony RX100/WX500 (30x optical zoom) gimbal for Matrice 100 and Inspire 1

I saw the Drone Expert Frankenstein creation - I thought the only thing missing was gaffer tape holding it together. It is also very heavy. And those daft leg extensions.......????!!!
Also - you have no real control over the camera and the start/stop remote is another 2.4ghz rf source right next to the Inspire remote !

Not for me....

I saw the Drone Expert Frankenstein creation - I thought the only thing missing was gaffer tape holding it together.
Also - you have no real control over the camera and the start/stop remote is another 2.4ghz rf source right next to the Inspire remote !

Not for me....

Agree it's a bit "Heath Robinson" but you can't deny the Sony RX100 IV is a far better camera than the X5. Though that said there is testing going on with a 45mm lens on the X5, unbalanced yes, but a great piece of glass.

Agree it's a bit "Heath Robinson" but you can't deny the Sony RX100 IV is a far better camera than the X5. Though that said there is testing going on with a 45mm lens on the X5, unbalanced yes, but a great piece of glass.
Oh agreed, if we could get full RX100 integration with a DJI gimbal on the Inspire there would be a lot of happy bunnies hopping around.

Another well documented shortcoming of the RX100 IV for shooting 4K video is that the continuous shooting time is limited to 5 minutes (or shorter in warm weather), followed by 1 hour (or longer in warm weather) cool down time. IMO RX100 IV is not a suitable aerial camera.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Another well documented shortcoming of the RX100 IV for shooting 4K video is that the continuous shooting time is limited to 5 minutes (or shorter in warm weather), followed by 1 hour (or longer in warm weather) cool down time. IMO RX100 IV is not a suitable aerial camera.
Thanks for the info, that's good I've haven't brought one yet. But I do like the mirrorless or M43 option as an aerial camera. But not a GH4, as good as it is, there's gotta be better still options as well as film.

Maybe wait a little longer until people start receiving their X5's and see how it actually performs in the field. There is something to be said about the convenience offered by X5 due to its integration into the Inspire platform. So far people who are not convinced by X5 is primarily concerned about the bitrate limitation. I share that view but ordered my X5 anyway. We'll know soon enough whether X5 shines or not.

Agree it's better camera, both stills and film, the bitrate was never a problem for me, I've used a C100 and I believe that has a bitrate of 30/40mb, but the quality is excellent. After about 1yr of hype I was hoping for something better than the X5 especially at 4x the cost. Just my thoughts.

The RX100IV does not have an hour cool down time. That is absurd. It can record within a few seconds after it stops.

The other thing that should be considered is that for certain geographic locations a still camera is limited to recording a maximum of 29mins 59.9 seconds of video.
This is to do with draconian tax laws that state if a camera can record video longer than 30 minutes in one shot it is classed as a video camera and attracts a different rate of tax.

The other thing that should be considered is that for certain geographic locations a still camera is limited to recording a maximum of 29mins 59.9 seconds of video.
This is to do with draconian tax laws that state if a camera can record video longer than 30 minutes in one shot it is classed as a video camera and attracts a different rate of tax.
Yep UK a prime example.

The RX100IV does not have an hour cool down time. That is absurd. It can record within a few seconds after it stops.

Not really, it will overheat even quicker.. think of 4K on RX100IV as bonus and 1080P is a more usable solution

Not really, it will overheat even quicker.. think of 4K on RX100IV as bonus and 1080P is a more usable solution

Really. Mine records 4K just fine. Repeatedly. And the quality is phenomenal. The only downside is batteries but for $17 you can get two more and a charger.

Irwekyfilms, that is a funny quote. This is my opinion, I like my I 1 with X3 but will buy X5 with in the next 12 months, putting $200.00 a month in my shallow and empty pocket, because of the ability to change f stops without changing ND filters. X5R is out for my reach, I believe that I 1 platform is a hobby, for those so called "professionals", they have to buy X5R or other expensive equipment to meet their client's demand. But the bottom line, I think, it is the talent, or talent plus expensive equipment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry