Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What's the BEST Tablet now that iPads are in the mix?

Do you prefer Android or iOS?

• Android

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • iOS

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
What's your opinion on the best tablet? I've been running two iPhone 6+s with the enterprise app and now the official app. I bought and tried the Nvidia Shield, but it was awful outside. I'll get a hood eventually, but I couldn't use the Shield even in overcast weather when my iPhone was just fine.

Looking to get some more viewing real-estate. I'm either going to buy a couple of the cheapest tablets that I think will work or just bite the bullet and buy the top end tablet. So what's your thoughts? What's the BEST tablet for the Inspire 1?

I like my Ipad Mini Retina, the Air is nice too but kind of counterweights the remote too much.

I use one IPad air 2 and one iPad mini 2. Works great. The iPad mini 2 is lighter on the Controller to handle and video is good.

Just one note: regardless of apple IPad device used, don't install unnessery applications on the device and make sure you kill all Unused application processors before running the DJI pilot application. By doing this, all CPU processes are used for the DJI app and video is processed cleaner and contestant and you should see faster clear video with less latenicy and yield greater video downlink distance per the Inspire max video range.

Best regards,
Steve

I'm using an iPad Air and really like it. While its a bit clunky I really love the real estate it provides to set up pictures and video moves.

I prefer my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 to my iPad Mini 2. I find the screen much better, not only in size but also in contrast/readability.
For example when I switch the camera between normal and log mode (the latter being much less contrasty) the difference on the Samsung is obvious, while on the iPad I can barely see something has changed. Makes me think I can better judge exposure on the Samsung.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Schiffner
I use one IPad air 2 and one iPad mini 2. Works great. The iPad mini 2 is lighter on the Controller to handle and video is good.

Just one note: regardless of apple IPad device used, don't install unnessery applications on the device and make sure you kill all Unused application processors before running the DJI pilot application. By doing this, all CPU processes are used for the DJI app and video is processed cleaner and contestant and you should see faster clear video with less latenicy and yield greater video downlink distance per the Inspire max video range.

Best regards,
Steve
Quiting Apps has nothing to do with the range you are getting, that has all to do with Radio noise in your area(2.4 wifi) and your antenna attenuation. Quiting apps to spare processor power, yes

Reactions: Funnone
I'm using an iPad Air and really like it. While its a bit clunky I really love the real estate it provides to set up pictures and video moves.

Statement: Not the distant, but better video quality at the RC location as the IPAD is processing all Inspire 1 I/O information from the lightening USB port between the RC and the IPAD. PROCESSING CAPABILITY (Or (QAS) quality of service) is reserved for all Inspire 1 operational requirements with the ground controller. It's a Two way data path.

Best regards,
Steve

When/if I get a second controller to film with I would go with the bigger Air2. But for ''daily driving' (flying) the Mini is perfect size. Besides, I really want to be watching the bird and not the screen while flying

Yea, i am with you on that VFR approach is more confident for me. I tried FPV goggles and i was afraid to look away.

Best regards,
Steve

I probably would have gotten an Android (Nvidia Shield), but Target had a great sale on 16GB iPad Air (first gen) for around $320, so I got that instead. It's only purpose is testing Web sites (Web Developer) and the Inspire, so the low RAM wasn't a problem.

I do notice the video is a little smoother than my Nexus 5, as long as Hardware Decode is on.

The air 1 is still a little smoother than the shield, I have both.

What I will use now that I'm done testing is a mini 2 for pilot(map view and telemetry), air 2 for the camera op.

But at $320 for an air 1, that's a steal.

Well, full disclosure: It was around $430 or something, but came with a Target gift card for over $100 (can't remember exactly how much). Since we had at least that much we needed to get in household stuff, it worked out, and I got to get a bit of a higher write-off expense :)

Wife's good at finding these types of deals :)

Well, full disclosure: It was around $430 or something, but came with a Target gift card for over $100 (can't remember exactly how much). Since we had at least that much we needed to get in household stuff, it worked out, and I got to get a bit of a higher write-off expense :)

Wife's good at finding these types of deals :)

Yeah it all works out the same. Tell the wife, nice find.

Reactions: gwhiz2k
iPad Air 2. It has a polarized screen and with the sunshade and I can fly strictly FPV. It has almost no lag too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop