Where to fly anymore.

Reaction score
I live in California Woodland Hills specifically. We cannot fly in parks, government lands of any kind and our local flying field no longer allows flying AP. So where does one go to fly their Inspires or Phantoms around here or anywhere in California for that matter.?

Thanks for the info I hope you have some good news.

Ken.

Reactions: Advexure
I like to take a ride on a country rd and let the birds fly the P2 is easier than the I1 but tomorrow I will tell u ! take it to the Pacific ,

Do you have a link to the rules that say you can not fly on government lands of any kind? If so, hoe do you know what lands are the governments and what are not? Presumably 'government' here is limited to state government.

Brian

If I still lived in So. Oregon, I'd be burning through more than a few batteries on National Forest land per this doc:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3845323.pdf
Print it and carry it.

Check the individual forest district websites as posted by PB30X above for any specifics. I did a quick check on some places I know in Cali and Orygun. Found nothing that said we couldn't fly except for the restrictions around forest fires.
Follow the rules and have a good time! I'm envious knowing the opportunities.

Look into flying on BLM lands as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: GizaDog
I live in southern Oregon, so I do take advantage of unpopulated, undeveloped and remote areas. That USDA document has contradictory information in it. Fortunately the document is primarily "tips" for UAS operators.

I have been doing a little research... it seems that it is ok to fly on BLM land as long as you are not in or over a wilderness area. They can be found on "WILDERNESS.NET". I think you will find that there are more places to fly than you thought.
Of course National Parks are a NO NO. And the 5 mile limit applies to small uncontrolled airports, heliports, and certainly large airports.Also read the limitations you agreed to before you go aloft. IE: Line of site, 400ft altitude max, away from groups of people and events, etc.
This is what I believe I have found, so please verify before you fly. And if you find differently, please post your findings.

National parks as a general rule are off limits, BUT certain NPS lands can be opened to you if you talk to the correct person. Each park, or in my case waterway, has a manager and depending on your purpose may allow you to fly. I have been allowed to fly on more than one occasion, some of the big no nos are taking off and landing on federal land. That is something that I have to state each time I send in for permissions.

As for the five mile limit of small airports, if it an uncontrolled airport a simple call to the property manager and you are ok. I have filmed at our local airport advertising a hanger for sale without any difficulty. This is where common sense comes in to play, talk to the right people and get permission.

Last edited:

Hi Ken - Just came across this thread, surprised I haven't seen it prior to now. Unfortunately we are awfully limited in our area. We've always done a lot of our flying down in OC or north of Malibu (typically over the ocean). When time allows we'll do a full day trip down to the Coachella Valley (absolutely love flying down there). This weekend we're going take a drive up to the Hidden Springs area (I've never been in that area in my 5 years of living in LA). From what I am aware there is nothing that prohibits the operation of sUAS in this area (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you've found other spots PM us...would love to get together and fly. We've got our regular spots which are not ideal but are always look for other spots.