Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

WiFi in our pocket...

Reaction score
Greetings!
The recommendation to enable airplane mode on our tablet displays seems intuitively correct; I wonder...should we be doing same with that other WiFi transmitter (aka cell phone) in our pockets when we fly ? Is it possible that hot cell phones could be influencing FLYAWAYs ?

Rhino.

i yet never since i have my i1 switched off either one... i have my mobile internet connection running and had no issues to date. i use my phone for now and plan to get something dedicated for the bird later.

It is advisable to enable flight mode on all equipment immediately in the vicinity of your remote control.
It is one of the operating procedures in my ops manual and also on my checklist. I also ask anyone standing as an observer next to me to put their phones into flight mode.
Receivers are very easily swamped by spurious rf and although manufacturers of equipment strive to control harmonic emissions they are not always successful.
Once the front end of a receiver is swamped invariably it's AGC circuit will close it right the way down since it thinks it is on top of a transmission. That can mean the difference of you maintaining your control link/telemetry and loosing it.

Personally, as I operate commercially, I like to eliminate as much risk as possible. Doing this practice takes one more unknown variable out of the risk assessment.

It's your call though.

I never take my iPad off of airplane mode. As for my phone, I need it. Never turn it off and never had an issue yet. Knocking on wood...

Reactions: Kilrah
I *try* to remember to put my phone/tablet in fight mode, but don't always succeed.
We know they should be to minimize the risk of interference, so I assume I've just been lucky for now. That was always in the middle of nowhere BTW, so less incentive/requirement to get everything right. My attention sets itself quite reliably to what's required by the environment at hand.

It is advisable to enable flight mode on all equipment immediately in the vicinity of your remote control.
It is one of the operating procedures in my ops manual and also on my checklist. I also ask anyone standing as an observer next to me to put their phones into flight mode.
Receivers are very easily swamped by spurious rf and although manufacturers of equipment strive to control harmonic emissions they are not always successful.
Once the front end of a receiver is swamped invariably it's AGC circuit will close it right the way down since it thinks it is on top of a transmission. That can mean the difference of you maintaining your control link/telemetry and loosing it.

Personally, as I operate commercially, I like to eliminate as much risk as possible. Doing this practice takes one more unknown variable out of the risk assessment.

It's your call though.
Would be willing to share your check list?

I'm currently using my iPhone 6 plus with the Inspire. For my first few flights I didn't bother going to airplane mode and I didn't notice any problems whatsoever, that was until I had a rather determined client try to call me mid flight and wouldn't give up! Now I use airplane mode every time :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LockMD

Cell towers have a ton of transmitters on them. How far away should we keep from them, (or should we just avoid fields with cell towers altogether, fly elsewhere)?

Carl

Cell towers have a ton of transmitters on them. How far away should we keep from them, (or should we just avoid fields with cell towers altogether, fly elsewhere)?

Carl
I would steer well clear of cell towers just to be safe. The other day I flew past the tallest building in our city. On top are the old microwave dishes. Before I knew it, I went right by one, close too but luckily no problems. However, I flew the other day over a standalone emergency clinic with two new MRI units and I lost the signal as I flew low over the building where I know the MRI machines are. Serious electromagnetic interference there I think. I'm trying to think of this stuff more and more as I fly.

Carl
Please do not double post the same question/comment to get an answer (see forum rules No.6) It does not serve any useful purpose.
I get around to most questions but sometimes it may take me longer than 24hrs!

Duplicate post deleted.

To answer you question - I personally keep a 'safe' distance of around 100ft or so from standard cell tower dipole antennas. The more 'aggressive' microwave links that look like a drum with a skin stretched over the front of them have a focused Fresnel area and that focused beam should be avoided. I tend to stay well away from those and are mindful of the way they are pointing.
Some people will fly right in front of antenna arrays and say they have no problem - that's their choice and their Inspire. I'd like to hang onto mine (even though it's insured :))

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk