Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Will older DJI GO 3 versions like 3.10, run on the new IOS 13 ?

Has anyone tried running older DJI GO 3 versions with the latest IOS 13?

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but here goes...

That's a good question to ask. But I would counter with, "Why would you want to update?" If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is more true than ever with Apple products that leave zero exit strategy. Also consider that every time Apple updates, your other apps have to adapt to those changes. And for me, every time something changes, this means I have to go out and test fly those changes. And I don't mean just a short flight around the park. I have to build missions with different parameters for every piece of software I own and fly them. This can take hours.

1577286687518.png

Because in case you haven't gathered yet, a LOT of the time these "updates" cause problems in one way or another. My favorite is when an update "resets" the app, which then nets an error message that I "Must connect to DJI mothership...." blah, blah, blah while I'm out in the field 30 miles from cell service (let alone Internet service). That's definitely my favorite.

<Insert LOTS of yelling and cursing here>

That said...

I am running a very old version of the Go App (v3.1.1) on iOS 12.3.1 on a Gen 3 iPad.

1577286017833.png

Even with "Automatic updates" turned off, it's still a constant uphill battle with Apple. I constantly deal with this message. God forbid I should accidentally touch the "Install Now" link.

1577286244127.png

In a nutshell, regardless of the answers you get here, I highly advise that you adapt a very strong "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy. My drones are uber reliable with zero crashes and zero fly-aways. One exception for a propeller that broke mid-flight. I highly attribute this reliability to the fact that I found a firmware/software combination that worked, and STAYED there.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
UPDATE:
My iPad Air2 inadvertently updated itself to iOS 13.3 ?. Now my DJI GO 3.1.10 app (with 32 ch video hack) , crashes immediately after opening the app.. There’s no going back on IOS so no i’m stuck with having to use the latest DJI GO 3 version. Which doesn’t allow the 32 channel video hack. Not Happy ??

UPDATE:
My iPad Air2 inadvertently updated itself to iOS 13.3 ?. Now my DJI GO 3.1.10 app (with 32 ch video hack) , crashes immediately after opening the app.. There’s no going back on IOS so no i’m stuck with having to use the latest DJI GO 3 version. Which doesn’t allow the 32 channel video hack. Not Happy ??

Assuming you have a backup of your iPad, you can roll back to an earlier backup. If you don't, you can "restore" your iPad back to it's original iOS. Because as far as I'm concerned, your iPad is now a useless brick. If it were mine and didn't have backups (I always have backups), I'd "restore," which will take it back to the original iOS. Then re-install all your apps and then BACK UP your iPad TO YOUR COMPUTER. Every time you make a change, back it up again.

Good luck.

D

Assuming you have a backup of your iPad, you can roll back to an earlier backup. If you don't, you can "restore" your iPad back to it's original iOS. Because as far as I'm concerned, your iPad is now a useless brick. If it were mine and didn't have backups (I always have backups), I'd "restore," which will take it back to the original iOS. Then re-install all your apps and then BACK UP your iPad TO YOUR COMPUTER. Every time you make a change, back it up again.

Good luck.

D

i have the backup just prior to the update to ios 13.3
The first thing i did was to try to restore from the backup. It would not allow downgrading the ios.

after much online research, a trip to the Apple store and 3 calls to Apple regular and Business Tech Support, I have learned that Apple has prevented downgrading from ios 13.3. I have tried Restore and Recover methods and it will only allow the re install of ios 13.3 even though my ipad originally came with ios 10.

restoring from backups restores everything Except the OS.

There’s got to be a way to get back to ios 12.4.1

i have the backup just prior to the update to ios 13.3
The first thing i did was to try to restore from the backup. It would not allow downgrading the ios.

I'm curious...are your updates on your computer or in the cloud? I always update directly to my computer. This allows for a complete restore to exactly where the iPad was the day of the backup.

1579191666216.png

after much online research, a trip to the Apple store and 3 calls to Apple regular and Business Tech Support, I have learned that Apple has prevented downgrading from ios 13.3.

Argh...this seems to be a pattern among DJI and Apple. Maddening. All the more reason to for me to not allow iOS updates.

I have tried Restore and Recover methods and it will only allow the re install of ios 13.3 even though my ipad originally came with ios 10. restoring from backups restores everything Except the OS.

Again, maddening. It's like our iPads no longer belong to us. There has to be a hack for this....<:^/

There’s got to be a way to get back to ios 12.4.1

Agreed. I have a feeling hacking may be required. Keep us in the loop as to what you try.

D

All my backups are on my computer. Apple simply unsigned the FW IOS prior to 13.x which prevents a rollback. Just like DJI tried to do. I have the IOS 12.4.1 ipsw file and tried to restore to that but since it’s unsigned, it’s a no go.

did I mentioned I’m Fucking Pissed! ?

All my backups are on my computer. Apple simply unsigned the FW IOS prior to 13.x which prevents a rollback. Just like DJI tried to do. I have the IOS 12.4.1 ipsw file and tried to restore to that but since it’s unsigned, it’s a no go.

did I mentioned I’m Fucking Pissed! ?

Have you tried the restore withOUT an Internet connection? Each one of my backups are about 7GB, which covers the OS and the apps. In other words, when I do these restores, I'm not getting anything from the cloud, INCLUDING data. So if you do your restore sans Internet connection, I don't see how Apple can "poison" your backup.

Also...interested how Apple "snuck in" the update. I have mine turned off.

1579202920795.png

I regularly delete the **** update files, too...

1579203057903.png

Unfortunately, it takes this level of diligence to stop Apple from "Nazifying" my iPad.

1579203139019.png

Thoughts?

D

I did try a restore offline and it still just restored everything except IOS. I also have Auto Updates set to OFF and routinely deleted the IOS 13.3 downloaded update on the ipad. I think what happened was I was tired one night and a message popped up on the ipad asking about it installing the update later and I must have agreed to that instead of putting it off.

I've even tried a full recover from the older version of itunes on my mac (where my backups are stored) and on my PC which has the latest version of itunes. IOS 13.3 was all it would do.

My iPad now is on IOS 13.3 but running my restored backup which has DJI Go 3.1.10 (with 32 ch hack) but of course the only App that fails to work is that one. It will load to the initial Aircraft Selection screen and then crash within 5 seconds whether I try to tap on the aircraft or anything on screen or I don't tap anything at all. It loads to the Aircraft Selection Screen and within 5 seconds it closes out but remains in the background. re opening it yields the same results.

Thanks for all your assistance Donnie. ?

I did try a restore offline and it still just restored everything except IOS. I also have Auto Updates set to OFF and routinely deleted the IOS 13.3 downloaded update on the ipad. I think what happened was I was tired one night and a message popped up on the ipad asking about it installing the update later and I must have agreed to that instead of putting it off.

Bummer. I think my iPad makes me re-enter my PIN if I agree to "install later." But who knows, as things change across iOS's like nobody's business...which is why I hate updating....<:^/

I've even tried a full recover from the older version of itunes on my mac (where my backups are stored) and on my PC which has the latest version of itunes. IOS 13.3 was all it would do.

My iPad now is on IOS 13.3 but running my restored backup which has DJI Go 3.1.10 (with 32 ch hack) but of course the only App that fails to work is that one. It will load to the initial Aircraft Selection screen and then crash within 5 seconds whether I try to tap on the aircraft or anything on screen or I don't tap anything at all. It loads to the Aircraft Selection Screen and within 5 seconds it closes out but remains in the background. re opening it yields the same results.

That sucks. Just curious...have you tried to use a third party iPad PC program to restore your iPad? I use iMazing for my Gen 3 iPad because I can no longer use legacy iTunes with it. While I don't agree that iMazing is "amazing," it DOES allow the user to do things iTunes has long forbidden. It might be worth a look into.

1579218010853.png

As you can see, iMazing allows you to use old backups. Just MAYBE you can "restore" your iPad to it's old state via iMazing. It's worth a shot.

Note: I forget what I paid for the program (50 bucks??). But it has been well worth it.

Thanks for all your assistance Donnie. ?

My pleasure...but we're not done....<;^)

D

Bummer. I think my iPad makes me re-enter my PIN if I agree to "install later." But who knows, as things change across iOS's like nobody's business...which is why I hate updating....<:^/

That sucks. Just curious...have you tried to use a third party iPad PC program to restore your iPad? I use iMazing for my Gen 3 iPad because I can no longer use legacy iTunes with it. While I don't agree that iMazing is "amazing," it DOES allow the user to do things iTunes has long forbidden. It might be worth a look into.

View attachment 27832

As you can see, iMazing allows you to use old backups. Just MAYBE you can "restore" your iPad to it's old state via iMazing. It's worth a shot.

Note: I forget what I paid for the program (50 bucks??). But it has been well worth it.

My pleasure...but we're not done....<;^)

D
I’m going to check imazing out this weekend. Thanks Donnie

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I’m going to check imazing out this weekend. Thanks Donnie
Sorry for the BIG Delay in replying.
i did check out imazing and other apps. They all specifically say they can’t restore from ios 13.3 back to 12.4.1 unless I had a specific type of backup, which I don’t have.

at this point I had to update the Go 3 app from itunes to get it to work now. It does but I no longer have the 32 channels of video to choose from. my usual flights were always in high wifi interference areas and the upper video channels always worked for me.

i’d be thrilled if I could get the 32 ch. video option working in the new Go App but DJI blocked the config file use of that shortly after Go App 3.1.0 (ios)

Bummer. I would go with a legacy iPad. There are tons on eBay all the time. I believe the Air Pro Gen 2 is the latest "fully hackable" version. Gen 3 running iOS 12 is somewhat hackable through iMazing. As you eluded to, once you hit iOS 13, you pretty much no longer own your iPad. Apple does.

D

Reactions: Xrover

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters