Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X4s (mechanical) v X5s (electronic)

Reaction score
So I've just seen that the X4s has a mechanical shutter and X5s is electrical.

We all know with the rolling shutter effect on straight surfaces a mechanical shutter is better, so my question is this?

Which will produce the best survey / mapping grade image assuming 120ish ft giving around a 1cm/px image on a Olympus 12mm for example on the X5s. Both are 20mp, but the sensor size is better on the X5s, but mechanical shutter is better on the X4s. Do i just get a x4s and use that on my I2, and gain the extra 2-3 mins flight time, or go for the X5s (with my 12,17 & 45mm lenses I already have) and electrical shutter - so this is purely stills for mapping and imaging.

Reactions: rdweaver
I doubt that the mechanical vs. electronic shutter makes any difference at all for mapping. Why not call the folks at Maps Made Easy and ask them? They have been able to see what camera results in the best maps. The X4S camera seems identical (in specs and form factor) to the camera on the P4P, and they have noted that the P4P is giving better results than the X3.

Not sure if you know this but a mechanical shutter can also give rolling shutter. . The image is scanned from top to bottom progressively by the moving blades.This means that parts of the image are scanned at different times to give rolling shutter effects. A mechanical shutter is not the same as a Global Shutter. What we really need is a global shutter but it is not available on these drone cameras.The global shutter opens and scans the whole frame at the same moment in time so no rolling shutter effects.

So I've just seen that the X4s has a mechanical shutter and X5s is electrical.

We all know with the rolling shutter effect on straight surfaces a mechanical shutter is better, so my question is this?

Which will produce the best survey / mapping grade image assuming 120ish ft giving around a 1cm/px image on a Olympus 12mm for example on the X5s. Both are 20mp, but the sensor size is better on the X5s, but mechanical shutter is better on the X4s. Do i just get a x4s and use that on my I2, and gain the extra 2-3 mins flight time, or go for the X5s (with my 12,17 & 45mm lenses I already have) and electrical shutter - so this is purely stills for mapping and imaging.

I have the exact same question as OP. Any definitive answers on this?
Also curious in the difference between the X4S and P4P for mapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. I have the exact same question as OP. Any definitive answers on this?
Also curious in the difference between the X4S and P4P for mapping.
Any definitive answer on this? Everything I can find says that CMOS = Line x Line (rolling) capture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters