Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5 1080p awful quality

Reaction score
We have X5 and the 4K footage is perfectly fine (a little softer than the X3, but that's fine as I think the X3 is too sharp!) but the 1080P 50fps PAL footage is terrible and looks really low res at full screen. OK at half screen size.The X3 at 1080P 50fps is perfectly fine and sharp.
Any ideas why this may be?
Thanks.

Been mentioned lots of times already that it is a common fault, especially if you are shooting in D-Log mode. Hopefully DJI will fix it in a upcoming firmware update

Reactions: Hawk
Ahhh Thanks - yes we had been test shooting in D-Log mode, so that would be it then. Is it OK / useable in other modes for the time being do you know, or still issues there?

One other thing of note, shooting in 1080 at the higher frame rate settings gives a completely different looking image. The FOV is wider and the picture looks much more video-ey. It is because of the way the DJI compression dumps data to get it down to 45 mbps or whatever the bitrate is at that level. I used to only shoot in 1080p60 on the X3 and now on the X5 that setting looks the worst (imo) out of all.
I only ever really use 2.7k30. Compression artifacts on the 4k footage are brutal but I still want higher res than 1080. I find 2.7k works quite well.

What other users are reporting regarding shooting in D-log is correct as well though. Definitely try shooting in 'none' first and if that gives you the results you are after then perfect. I just find a lot to be desired with the 1080p60 setting.

Does the D-Log setting affect 4k 24/30 NTSC?
Yes, currently there is an issue (confirmed by DJI) that makes video unusably soft on all d-log and d-cinelike settings. Photos are still fine it is just video that is the problem.
If you absolutely must use d-log or d-cinelike, crank the sharpness up to +3. It is still not super sharp, but it is usable. Otherwise shoot in 'none' for best results.

Reactions: The Editor
You know DJI should have a repository or something like a change log sheet so that users can keep track of what is working and what is not. I would be fine with d-log not working however give me a place to go check so I don't make the mistake of assuming its correct. Having to constantly scour the forums to see what works and what doesn't is frustrating. As you can see this has been going on for awhile however I don't have time to check every day on what is working. Transparency is not the worst thing, might even get some respect for it **** it.

WOW. That sucks I have been delivering d-log ever since I have had it. Do you have a recommendation for sharpness/contrast/saturation when the color profile is "none"?

Eh use whatever works, I still like my sharpness up to +2 as I just find generally the footage is too soft. I only shoot on 2.7k as well. On 4k the compression artifacts are very apparent and it's nice to have more res to work with than 1080.

I just shoot on +2, 0, 0. But lowering your contrast and saturation would probably help give you a slightly more gradable image.

Until the next FW comes out and all the settings have changed again...

I'm not sure why people are complaining about a soft image in Log modes? The reason the X3 looks sharper (and I've said this before here) is because in camera processing is adding fake digital edge enhancement. This enhancement makes the image look more "digital" and in fact makes the compression system have to work that much harder, even though to the untrained eye it appears more "detailed and sharp". It is nothing more than an illusion however.

When you record in Log modes you are trying to get as much information from the sensor as possible un untouched, unprocessed form. Although the X5 still highly compresses the picture, the idea behind Log is to get all that contrast information so that it can go through a grading process later, which with skill will allow fine control over the highlight and shadow regions through software like DaVinci Resolve.

In addition to this process, not only to we shoot Log to give us as much as a "film negative" as possible as it were, but in such a process we do not want the camera adding in it's own digital detail enhancement either. Why? Because if we are shooting Log we want a work in progress. During such a process we would ordinarily want detail left alone too so that in our grading software we can add the detail enhancement back in with far more control than we can with the sledge hammer approach of doing it in camera.

In other words your picture looks softer in Log and Cine modes most likely because DJI assumed that if you were filming in such modes you would want the most film like and pliable image possible with stuff like digital edge enhancement left out of the equation because you would be going through a grading process afterwards.

For those complaining about the softness, try putting the picture through DaVinci and dialling the sharpness back in.

I just shoot on +2, 0, 0. But lowering your contrast and saturation would probably help give you a slightly more gradable image.

Not necessarily true. You would have to check with a waveform to see if you were truly gaining any more contrast information off the sensor by doing this. And lowering the saturation would only gain you grading benefits if the colour channels were being clipped otherwise.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about a soft image in Log modes? The reason the X3 looks sharper (and I've said this before here) is because in camera processing is adding fake digital edge enhancement. This enhancement makes the image look more "digital" and in fact makes the compression system have to work that much harder, even though to the untrained eye it appears more "detailed and sharp". It is nothing more than an illusion however.

When you record in Log modes you are trying to get as much information from the sensor as possible un untouched, unprocessed form. Although the X5 still highly compresses the picture, the idea behind Log is to get all that contrast information so that it can go through a grading process later, which with skill will allow fine control over the highlight and shadow regions through software like DaVinci Resolve.

In addition to this process, not only to we shoot Log to give us as much as a "film negative" as possible as it were, but in such a process we do not want the camera adding in it's own digital detail enhancement either. Why? Because if we are shooting Log we want a work in progress. During such a process we would ordinarily want detail left alone too so that in our grading software we can add the detail enhancement back in with far more control than we can with the sledge hammer approach of doing it in camera.

In other words your picture looks softer in Log and Cine modes most likely because DJI assumed that if you were filming in such modes you would want the most film like and pliable image possible with stuff like digital edge enhancement left out of the equation because you would be going through a grading process afterwards.

For those complaining about the softness, try putting the picture through DaVinci and dialling the sharpness back in.
This is the common response from those who have not actually seen the footage produced in d-log on the latest FW version (1.3). No amount of sharpening can be added in DaVinci, premiere, avid or other to bring the image back to a respectable level.
It is a confirmed issue on FW 1.3 that DJI is apparently fixing in the next major release.

Really want the new firmware now.
Its chinese new year soon, and they usually have a good few weeks off, and X5R is supposed to be here launched in March.

So I'm hoping the new X5 update will be with here this week to coincide with the better weather that should start to arrive.

No BS or excuses, this needs to be a decent one that people can get on and use with consistent results.

Reactions: gruvpix and berns
This is the common response from those who have not actually seen the footage produced in d-log on the latest FW version (1.3). No amount of sharpening can be added in DaVinci, premiere, avid or other to bring the image back to a respectable level.
It is a confirmed issue on FW 1.3 that DJI is apparently fixing in the next major release.

Totally agree. I dialled in 100% sharpening in Premier pro and it was still soft

Really want the new firmware now.
Its chinese new year soon, and they usually have a good few weeks off, and X5R is supposed to be here launched in March.

So I'm hoping the new X5 update will be with here this week to coincide with the better weather that should start to arrive.

No BS or excuses, this needs to be a decent one that people can get on and use with consistent results.
Yep, I would very much like to use d-cinelike again.

I payed $1400 for my x5 and plan on using it as a backup for the x5r when the time arrives. I hope that I did not go wrong not waiting for the Inspire 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters